1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

if i may, how many watches are currently in your collection?

its interesting. isnt it optionable, like MTM/bespoke for a watch? i recall reading about it in watchtime not too long ago.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I honestly don't know. The most meaningful ones have been posted in this thread in the last 5 years. Haven't sold any of the ones here - gave one to a friend but otherwise, that's most of my collection.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

nice Dawg!! :lol:

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

cool. looks like i have some back reading to do, lol.

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

love this sub gdl!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi gdl,

yea, I knew it was maybe Space One (I know they had at least 2 different space watches). One of my friends bought a B&R chronograph on a ss bracelet, back when as you mentioned they branded Sinn watches. It was a really handsome watch. Hate to say it, but the newer B&Rs just don't do anything for me.

Always nice to see a vintage Sub. Once they develop that patina and the luminous markings turn cream color it just adds to its beauty.

Sorry, but its one VC I just don't care for. An acquaintance bought one in titanium. I it too busy and lacking in the traditional beauty I've come to expect from VC. I know in some ways its innovative, and a step toward attracting new buyers, but I don't like the watch at all. It reminds me of an Accutron Space View, but at a significantly higher cost. I'd much rather have their Historique American 1921.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Yeah. I keep going back and forth on the Quai.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You should see it in person and then make a decision. For me seeing it in person I found I liked it even less than I did based on photos. Its a new direction for VC, either you will like it or you won't. VC has been one of my favorite brands for years (I own 2 of them), but this design is definitely not for me. Maybe trying it on will help you see determine whether its a good choice for you.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The blue dial is my favorite version of the Yachty. Look like it gets plenty of use and enjoyment.

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Yeah, I will have to do that.

I guess to get some context, do you not like skeletonized watches, or partially done ones? I am thinking of Armin Strom for example:
    [​IMG]

11. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I did like some of Maurice Lacroix's Masterpiece skeletons awhile back...I really don't know whats going on with the brand now after being sold to some other conglomerate--makes me stay away.

I have mentioned before that I do like Vulcains skeletons as well, but there too dont know what to make of the brand at this point in time.

For example:

[​IMG]

that, frankly, rocks my socks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. dshap

dshap Active Member

Very nice. Is it the lighting or is that a gilt dial?

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

lighting.
    gilt would be meter first and the text would be in gold.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I actually like skeletonized watches a lot. Its a rather underappreciated area of watch making, and in the past VC has done some exceptional skeletonized pieces. This can often be seen in the 2nd hand market where skeletonized VCs, APs, and Pateks often sell for a fraction of their original prices. I think at some point I might like to pick up a vintage VC skeleton watch as they are quite a bargain relative to their original prices.

As for Armin Strom, its a nice watch. My concern with buying his pieces or that of other smaller less well known companies is that if you tire of the watch and you want to sell or trade it, you could lose a lot of $ and have trouble getting anyone to buy or take it in trade for a reasonable amount. AP, VC, Patek, and other better known companies have a larger following and will generally retain more of their value. I'm not suggesting those are the only brands to consider, nor am I saying Armin Strong doesn't make a good watch. I'm simply playing devils advocate and suggesting if you are someone that trades or sells watches frequently you may be better off considering a more mainstream brand name.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I always say I am going to flip watches, but in the end they just end up sitting in a drawer or being passed on to relatives, etc.

For example, I have been looking at dress watches for what feels like a year now, and still haven't found one that I like as much as this RL right now:
    [​IMG]

and so I keep going back and forth since the brand name is meaningless. Do I get a Lange 1815 or Richard Lange? Maybe a VC Patrimony or the Quai... Hell, maybe a JLC Chrono or Master Tourb. But realistically I just like the RL more, so I am sitting there deciding whether to pull the trigger on a watch that will probably be worth half what I paid for it, and one that I probably won't be able to find used ever since I can't imagine they are selling that well.

16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

^ If you like that RL, buy the new JLC Master Geo instead - more or less the same design but from a traditional manufacture.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Correct. Matte dial, 1979

18. Sander

Sander Senior member

19. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Like the dial on the Nomos, but not the thick case. Maybe look at a used Journe Chronometre Souverain time only or the MIH Chrono if you like the industrial look.

20. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I suspect they are the exact same movement. I do like the looks of the RL more, but JLC Master Control watches are on my list - I find them just slightly on the sporty side for me for a dress watch but I don't want something as stiff as a Patek Calatrava either.

can't find anyone to cut me the slightest deal on an RL watch either, which makes them quite a bit more expensive than the JLC street price which is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.