The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

I really like it too. Are we going to have a 3 way on this board?

Well if you must know, I am currently dating the beautiful woman [​IMG] in my avatar,..
    so this 3 way is going to be strictly platonic.. Not like Ed, Conne & the unfortunate victim of the week.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Flieger, those Stowa pics are making me want to buy one. [​IMG]

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Those Stowas are like the watch version of butterface. [​IMG]

--Andre

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I'm selfish (I'm sure many of you could have guessed) so I typically have to buy myself something during the Holiday season while I am out buying presents for friends and family. I need something to hold me over for 2 months.

I'm thinking:

MeisterSinger 43mm Single Hand Tan Dial
    [​IMG]
    38mm White Dial (on brown strap_
    [​IMG]
    Stowa Ikarus Airman 40mm
    [​IMG]

I feel that with my love of Glashutte Orginal and A. L&S that so many great sub-$2500-3000 (while these are all sub-$1k) options I may start collecting German watches.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have the z1 in cream and it gets zero wrist time. If you decide to go for that one, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to sell it to someone who will use it more often

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

For the sake of public conversation...why? You have the larger size?

But OMG OMG OMG it would be a chance to meet you!! [​IMG]

I also have a thing for grey, that's why I really like that Stowa.

7. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

SoCal2NYC, I like the look of the Meistersinger too and the sundial design but when I tried one on a couple of years ago I was underwhelmed. The dial, an off white color, and the case just didn’t pop, if that makes sense. I don’t remember the leather strap feeling that high quality either. I was in the market for it and decided against buying after trying it on.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well, I think it's a very nice watch for the money to be honest. I disagree with poster above but then again, I've never been highly impressed or overwhelmed by the quality, case work or finish of a watch sold for a few hundred $...

I don't wear it simply because it competes for wrist time with other watches that I enjoy wearing a bit more (GO, PAM, IWC BigP, Dornbluth, etc...). The Meistersinger (along with a bunch of otther watches) rarely wins. I still like the design though

If you're interested, we could meet up and you could try it on and make your own opinion

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I'm going to the Watch Buys Road Show the 9-11th so hopefully I can try it on and see them in person (in addition to some other models).

10. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

I tried it on during a watch buys road show. perhaps you'll have a more favorable view. good luck.

11. sammy

sammy Senior member

What's the general consensus on Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak? Thinking about getting one for my next watch.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

What's the general consensus on Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak? Thinking about getting one for my next watch.

Iconic design; first expensive, all-steel sport watch. I've warmed to it over the years, but I think it's very expensive for what it is, particularly considering that some models use the Valjoux 7750 base movement. If you get one, I'd recommend one with a time-only in-house AP movement.

Still, if you are a collector of 'significant' watches, this is arguably a must-have. However, if you just want an all-steel, sport watch on a bracelet, I'd take a look at the IWC Ingenieur Automatic with the 8000-caliber movement. It's equally high-quality, has an in-house movement with anti-magnetic protection, and costs less.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

It's missing a hand. [​IMG]

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Iconic design; first expensive, all-steel sport watch. I've warmed to it over the years, but I think it's very expensive for what it is, particularly considering that some models use the Valjoux 7750 base movement. If you get one, I'd recommend one with a time-only in-house AP movement.

Still, if you are a collector of 'significant' watches, this is arguably a must-have. However, if you just want an all-steel, sport watch on a bracelet, I'd take a look at the IWC Ingenieur Automatic with the 8000-caliber movement. It's equally high-quality, has an in-house movement with anti-magnetic protection, and costs less.

AP doesn't use a 7750 for the basis of Royal Oak chronos.
    They're using a JLC based movement with a chrono module.
    A lot of the time only Royal Oaks are using a JLC movement too.

I think AP is finally coming out with their own in-house chrono movement soon.

There are folks out there who dis the Ingenieur movement because of similarities to the 7750. Doesn't bother me though.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I hated at first but have come to like the Offshore it a lot. (I really don't care for the non-Offshore version.)

I don't anticipate buying one for a while. At that price you can get just about any steel watch you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.