1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

altho' I like the story behind the Grand Seiko's dial ... that's cool! Doesn't really make me like the watch any more however. :plain:

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Good life lesson for everyone: don't be a dick.

Applies to styleforum. Applies to life.

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I've slowly been slogging through this entire thread. You have an awesome collection my friend! gdl and zippyh too...oh and medtech expat and ktowngreg....theres a lot of good stuff buried in here

got any tips for taking awesome photos of watches?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. Singular

Singular Senior member

You get an A for effort for reading it all...

...and thanks.

/M

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

"The Seiko Spring Drive is a true mechanical watch..."
    http://www.timezone.com/library/rdnotebook/200509073623

As far as comparing Seiko to the Swiss:

Seiko Credor Sonnerie:
    [​IMG]

Seiko Credor Eichi
    [​IMG]

I don't even own a Seiko, but they are fully capable of being competitive with the best that the Swiss or Germans have to offer...

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

From your TZ link:

[​IMG]

Is that 100% mechanical? No. I don't care what you call it, it is what is and what it isn't is a fully mechanical movement.

I'm not taking away from GS... they make really cool and very well made watches; however they aren't comparable due to Swiss watches (as a whole concept).

To give you an example, the closest Swiss chrono I can think of to the GS chrono is the Breitling Chronoracer Rattrapante, which is no longer made. It utilized a F. Piguet (Breitling Cal. 69) made quartz movement with a mechanical chrono and rattrapante ébauche. The Chronoracer Rattrapante hasn't been made in many years and was a total flop.

Watch:

[​IMG]

Movement:

[​IMG]

GS Chrono:

[​IMG]

GS 9R86 Spring Drive movement:

[​IMG]

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ Semantics aside, the Spring Drive movement is fundamentally different from traditional mechanical movements in that it is not operating by a spring-driven balance wheel. Rather, it is regulated by an electrically powered circuit. Yes, there is no battery, but i think it is nonetheless a stretch to call such a device purely "mechanical."

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Even so... the Sonnerie and Eichi are purely mechanical by your definition.

9. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

Has anyone seen the new-ish JLC Master Eight Days Perpetual in SS? I've been wanting to get a perpetual in stainless, but there are no JLC dealers near me so I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm not sure if I like the updated dial design versus the older Eight Day Perpetual, but the previous model doesn't come in SS, and the rose gold version seems a bit spendy.

[​IMG]

10. Kid Nickels

^ wow that's nice! I like...

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Very nice. Great layout too, everything seems to be very legible.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I'll take that back. The sonnerie is a spring drive. I think the eichi is mechanical.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Naw, the Eichi is also spring drive. Just a very sexified spring drive.

"Kenji Shiohara from the Micro Artist Studio sought out Philippe Dufour for advice on watch finishing when the Spring Drive Sonnerie was in development. And in typical Japanese fashion they took the advice and went even further. In a conversation with Mr Dufour a year ago, he expressed respect for Seiko’s fanatical dedication to quality."

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/one-of-finest-finished-watches-in-world.html

From arguably one of my favorite posts ever.

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i would agree with that. i had an ebel a while back that had a large date. it was nice, but the vertical separation was a bit of a peeve. even thought the digits were separated by thin bar between the 2 digits, essentially creating 2 windows, the separation was still noticeable.

reverso squadra hometime. i posted a pic a while back. i post another later if toy like. stock pics are easy to come buy, but it aint the same.

+1

lolwat? that would be nice.

yes. any watch that has a battery/electrically powered energy source i would not call mechanical. but, im a watch douche, dont pay me no mind.

15. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Understood - thanks. Aesthetics aside, I do find it helpful so I don't have to start re-setting the moonphase, which is a bit of a pain.

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

So, just figured out how to use a macro lens with my camera. Kind of embarrassing, but I am not much of a photog. Figured I would snap off some pictures for you guys! Never shot any good ones when I got my baby.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Kid Nickels

you certainly got the macro going on Newcomer... nice pix and nice watch!

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks! Note to self in the future--make sure to clean the watch off better! My pictures make it look like it is in way worse condition than it is :).

Crazy thing is, is this is just with the watch on macro mode. My camera is wasted on me.

19. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

20. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Quote: Ha. point taken. I should say applicable to styleforum. I can dream right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.