• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kappelan
dsc_3212.jpg

Lovely watch. Rolex really needs to do a new Oysterquartz with a similar case style (not dated at all IMO) and a modern HEQ movement.

totenhosen

Reaction score
Venessian:
Originally Posted by venessian
Steinhart make excellent watches, although I find this particular model a bit bulky. Yes, on a GMT (or UTC) watch the standard hour hand references the standard hour markers while the GMT/UTC hour hand references the 24-hour GMT/UTC hour markers. Minutes and seconds are of course the same for both. The GMT/UTC hour hand rotates around the dial once every 24 hours. Therefore, one can use it to monitor a second time zone (displayed on the dial inner, dial outer, chapter ring, or GMT bezel) by setting the second time zone (can be GMT or any other zone) via the GMT hand. Some watches (for instance GMT divers) may have both GMT markers and a rotating GMT bezel, so that one can actually monitor 3 different time zones. To set a GMT watch: if you live, for example. in the PST time zone and want to set the second time zone to EST, at 6:00 PM PST the standard hour hand would be set at 6:00, and the GMT hand would be set at 9:00 PM (21:00). If instead you wanted to set the second zone to GMT time the standard hour hand would be set at 6:00, and the GMT hand would be set at 1:00 AM (01:00). Etc. If you are travelling to a different time zone, you can instead set the GMT/UTC hand to your home zone and set the standard hour hand to the local time in the zone that you are in. Just remember that Daylight Savings Time does not occur on the same day in each country! . . . This is a UTC watch with inner UTC markers (2 time zones).
sinn856utc.jpg
. . . This is a GMT watch with outer GMT markers and seconds sub-dial (2 zones).
panerailuminorgmt.jpg
. . . This is a GMT watch with a GMT chapter ring (2 zones).
steinhartaviationgmt.jpg
. . . This is a GMT watch with a GMT bezel (2 zones).
mkiilrrpcapstone.jpg
. . . This is a GMT watch with a GMT sub-dial (2 zones).
bmclassimaexecutivesaut.jpg
. . . This is a UTC watch with a UTC time wheel (2 zones).
iwcspitfireutc.jpg
. . . This is a GMT watch with both a non-rotating GMT chapter ring and a rotating GMT bezel (3 zones).
fortisb42gmt.jpg
. . . These are just some examples. There are other types of GMT watches, but these are the basics. Hope that helps. . . .

Wow - what a post. Thank you very much for the examples. I was hoping for just a "yes that's right" or "no its not" but that actually gives a really good overview so potentially is a great resource for others not just me. Thank you for the effort and overview -really. In regards to the Steinhart I'd appreciate your (and any other regulars/non-regular here) opinion on size related to me - do you think with my wrist size it's okay from a 'normal' point of view - I understand a lot of it's subjective, I felt, wearing the same case (different watch) to try on it wasn't too big feeling for me, but I don't want to look like a big watch wearing person... I want it to fit, not take over if that makes sense. (Mr wrist is 19cm all the way around, 6-6.5cm looking down at it). The Steinhart site says "Diameter: 44 x 44 mm" - but I don't think it takes into account the case around the watch face... nytek:
Originally Posted by nytek
One of the Omega's just arrived. Smaller than I anticipated, but I think it still works.
photo1.jpg

[/SPOILER] Perfect size - wouldn't want it bigger. dshin:
Originally Posted by dshin
Heuer 1000 Dive watch (from pre tag days). Got the watch last week. Got the Bond Nato strap today. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic:
heuer.jpg

May I ask how much that is worth/you paid for? Looks great - classic. PM if you like. Laurens:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Casual staying at home studying thursday, time for the vintage Seiko Diver.
002EditCrop.jpg

Looks awesome - which year?

bbhewee

Reaction score
New strap on my 104... Custom order from ABP: seal leather, thick flat, and green thread to match the dial.
img00175201102011221.jpg

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
very nice looking watch.

I just bought a Tommy Hilfiger watch, it's not top of line watch compare to some of you guys, but it's by far my most expensive watch. I have a question: The watch manual said "The watch has a 1.55 vol silver-oxide batter. It is specially designed for watches and will last approximately 18-36 months under normal use. It is important to use only the replacement battery recommended by Tommy Hilfiger watches. Many "interchangeable" batteries(such as hearing aid batteries) will not work properly in your watch or might damage it.
"
Do you guys take your watches to a service section for battery service?

I found Energizer 1.55V silver Oxide Batteries on Amazon for under $20 or go to any watch/battery replacement center in the mall. I find most malls have a battery/watch/jewelry fix-it shop. Or your local jeweler would probably replace it for a small fee.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
very nice. they absolutely don't make heuers like they used to.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to hunt down a OEM replacement bezel since the one on it currently is a little beat up.

Now I'm on the prowl for a nice vintage Seamaster like:

photo1.jpg

I'm going to have to make a decision soon...watches or clothes. Cant afford both!

Singular

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Lovely watch. Rolex really needs to do a new Oysterquartz with a similar case style (not dated at all IMO) and a modern HEQ movement.

Yeah, what they really need is a watch that noone is buying...

Originally Posted by acidboy
very nice. they absolutely don't make heuers like they used to.

Well, they do - re-releasing models en masse...

/M

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by totenhosen
Venessian:

Wow - what a post. Thank you very much for the examples. I was hoping for just a "yes that's right" or "no its not" but that actually gives a really good overview so potentially is a great resource for others not just me. Thank you for the effort and overview -really.

You're very welcome. Yours was a good question on a somewhat confusing topic so I figured I might as well try to answer in a way that might benefit everyone. Of course in a thread that is over 500 pages long, answers will fade away quickly.... But, thanks again.

Originally Posted by totenhosen
In regards to the Steinhart I'd appreciate your (and any other regulars/non-regular here) opinion on size related to me - do you think with my wrist size it's okay from a 'normal' point of view - I understand a lot of it's subjective, I felt, wearing the same case (different watch) to try on it wasn't too big feeling for me, but I don't want to look like a big watch wearing person... I want it to fit, not take over if that makes sense. (Mr wrist is 19cm all the way around, 6-6.5cm looking down at it). The Steinhart site says "Diameter: 44 x 44 mm" - but I don't think it takes into account the case around the watch face...
Well, you have a 7.5" wrist. A 44mm case on a 7.5" wrist can look fine. As you said, the only way to know is to try on the wrist and see if you like it. But generally speaking I'd say that you would be OK with a 44mm.

The case dimension listed for any watch is always the outer diameter (on a round watch of course) minus the lugs and crown. On the Steinhart GMT, 44mm x 44mm is the largest dimension across the height and width of the entire case, minus the lugs and crown.

Bear in mind though that dial design, bezel size, case design/materials, etc. all have a major impact on perception...therefore not all watches of the same size will look the same. Not even close.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly buy an OysterQuartz like Kapp's. Second best thing is that Kapp reposts it here constantly, enticing me always
biggrin.gif

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Yeah, what they really need is a watch that noone is buying...
Forgive me, I was a little unclear in my post:

What I want Rolex to do = what Rolex needs to do.

Better now?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads