Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.[​IMG] http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html Regards.
    Exactly my first thought. Way too nice looking to be vintage. But hey, you never know.

2. Raven

Raven Active Member

Exactly my first thought. Way too nice looking to be vintage. But hey, you never know.

So... are those 'vintage' omegas on ebay not legit? (sorry, I'm completely new to buying nice watches...)

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So... are those 'vintage' omegas on ebay not legit? (sorry, I'm completely new to buying nice watches...)
    They very well might be. It depends. Shikar was making the point, and this was my fear upon originally seeing those images, that vintage watches should look "vintage" i.e. old. Those two look brand new.

4. JDelage

JDelage Senior member

Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.[​IMG]

http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html

Regards.

Are those fake?

5. Raven

Raven Active Member

They very well might be. It depends. Shikar was making the point, and this was my fear upon originally seeing those images, that vintage watches should look "vintage" i.e. old. Those two look brand new.

Well, what's a more dependable place to buy from?

Couple of those ebay Omegas are $100-200... seems WAY too low to be true...

6. toade

toade Senior member

They could certainly be vintage and yet have been restored using new, non-original parts... though at that point are they truly vintage? It is nearly impossible to get an Omega of that time period completely original in that condition.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, what's a more dependable place to buy from? Couple of those ebay Omegas are $100-200... seems WAY too low to be true...
    I have no idea. And, yes, some of the ones on eBay are way way way too good of a deal to be legit.

8. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Senior member

Thanks jhcam8. I have thought about Cartier Tank series... I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of it. At least, it's not something I have gravitated to.

I really liked a GO I saw at a store. It was like this, but with only 2 chrono: http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...2-04b_main.jpg

Or something that looks kind of like this: http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...14-17_main.jpg

Check out NOMOS, all of their watches have in house movements and they are manufactured in Glashutte just like GO!

9. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

The first one I posted with the white dial is an authentic that has just been full restored, cleaned, and serviced. It's sold by a small family owned business in the UK that just restores one vintage Omega each week into the condition that you now see - obviously they do not have watches with significant wear and tear to begin with. I guess we can debate the merits of why one would buy vintage and whether the "vintage" look is important. I was attracted to the vintage Omegas because of the simple, classic desing, the signature Omega movement, and the small size (I have small wrists). With these sellers, I can get all those benefits while getting a watch that looks almost new.

The second one with the blue face actually isn't as clean and does have some marks, which that picture just masks. I figure I can do some work on my end to get it cleaner.

The third one with the gold bezel is sold by the same guys as the first one. Several SF members have bought from the same source and have been extremely happy, so I feel comfortable with that.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

This one must be from the same dealer then, judging by the photography etc.

[​IMG]

I believe I got the pic from an earlier post in this thread.

11. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

Yes, same seller. These usually cost $1K+ though, so not the cheap ones on eBay.

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

This week's group of watches.

SMP GMT.
    [​IMG]
    PAM 24.
    [​IMG]
    White dial MK XV.
    [​IMG]

JLC MC.
    [​IMG]

Group shot complete with dead bug.
    [​IMG]

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

White dial MK XV.

Very nice.

14. venessian

venessian Senior member

Even more rare:
    White dial IWC Mark XV - "Gadebusch"; year 2000; 50 piece edition.
    Compared to the (slightly) more common white dial Mark XV - this version offered a cleaner dial (no "˜Mark XV' printed above "˜Automatic'); individually numbered caseback (stamped XX / 50); the markers are applied as on the standard white dial Mark XV (vs. painted on the standard black dial Mark XV).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ryen70

ryen70 Member

My Panerai watches, a titanium/choco dial 118 and a JLC powered 8-day 190.

[​IMG]

Here's the 118 on a Ted Su ammo strap:

[​IMG]

Here's the 190 on an HKTan bronze croc strap:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.