1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montyharding

montyharding Well-Known Member

I do see your point. But what if I don't have Asian wrists?

I was going to be polite and not mention it, but now it's out... *points and snickers*

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

it's not about your wrists. You could strap the U Boat around your python-esque, 12 inch cock and the point is the same. get a real watch.

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

U-Boats are hideously ugly. Most people I see wearing them are skinny guys who get their gym training done by breathing with it on their wrists.

Definitely a poser watch. To make it worse, many fashion watches are made huge too. If you want to be a Douche, do it at a lower-cost.

And to the poster asking about the IWC Pilot Chrono, I think they are fantastic watches. I am wearing mine now and have had it for about 4 years. It's not that thick and it is reliable. The watch is very clean and handsome. I wear mine on an alligator strap. Black gives it a more formal look and the brown gives it a more casual look. It's a very versatile piece.

4. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Zenith watches? A watch that doesn't get a lot of love but has a rich history.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

They've had some really blah offerings in recent years, but I think last year was a breakout for them. They do lean heavily on the El Primero in the same sort of way Omega does with the Speedmaster.

But both the new El Primero Striking 10th and the new Pilot are beautiful watches, though I don't know if I would choose it over a Speedy when I decide to get a chronograph. I tried a S10th at my AD and its a very unique and beautiful complication to see. My wife didn't care for it so much, until I showed her the caseback.

If I had the extra money laying around, I would buy it yesterday.

...and now I realize you're all terrible people who keep forcing me to add to my list...

6. Kid Nickels

+1. I like Zenith a lot. They make (mostly) classic styles, understated, well made and in-house movements. What's not to like? They should get more love for sure.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The whole size inflation and open heart series almost killed the brand in the eyes of WIS. Getting back to the classic Zenith designs may revive it

8. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

It's just short for watch aficionados, watch collectors (stands for Watch Idiot Savant, a term coined on TimeZone I think)

10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I like Zeniths more classic offerings like their dress watches or the chronograph in the top photo. Their El Primero movement, which I believe was a joint venture with Movado, was ground breaking as the first automatic chronograph movement. I find their modern sports watches too stylized and part of the "Look at me I can make a huge watch too, crowd."

11. Kid Nickels

+1... ya from those photos above I like #2 and #4. Their classic watches are great IMO.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I love AP's particularly the RO, and I owned one for about 6 years back in the 1990s. I hope to pick up another at some point. I think the ROO is a handsome watch, I really like the bracelet for them. My main complaint about AP is that they make too many limited editions that are really all the same watch with different color dials. I would prefer it when they made limited editions they made made changes that are more substantial than just dial colors, such as using interesting case matterials, different bezel screws or unusual pushers like those found on the Montoya Edition, that was a cool watch! Still great watches and nice to see some RO/ ROO photos here.

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

I prefer their classic design also... I really like the elite 681 ultra thin with black dial as a formal watch. They also have the same watch with a pearl face and navy markers that's stunning. I'm in the market for a chrono and I'm having a difficult time.

[​IMG]

14. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

Bluesy. A different color than usual for me so had to get one.

Regards.
    [​IMG]

15. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I actually rather like that

16. j stuff

j stuff New Member

Thanks guys :)

Ill be in this thread more often

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

behave!!! i already had made up my mind(many years ago) on this, when several persons of importance weighed in and "confirmed" my decision. let the wimminz be happy with it...

won't put my finger on it. it is like it is.

18. JonF

JonF Well-Known Member

Congrats! That is a beautiful piece.

19. graphite

graphite Well-Known Member

i don't like the added bulkiness of NATOs when your run them under the watch case, so i cut the strap and sewed it into two pieces. also i have NATO vs radiomir a try.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  20. cioni2k

cioni2k Well-Known Member

Love the Panerai. Panerai's make me jealous my wrist isn't bigger. Not a huge fan of the cut NATO, to me part of their charm is that style where the excess band loops back under, but that's just my opinion. If you like it, more power to you :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.