• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Reaction score
Hey Katiedaddy - yeah I'm not particularly interested in fashion watches (e.g. Chanel) - just not my style. All watches targeting women seem to be very jewel-encrusted or fashion/faddish. Which is why I prefer most men's watches. It's just classier in my mind. A watch should be the highlight, not other things like jewels and etc.

I'm trying to avoid Rolex if I can, just because it's so common. And on someone younger, I think a lot of ppl will assume it's fake. And this will come off incredibly snooty, but 'everyone' knows what a Rolex is... it'd be nice to have something a little more unique, and known by people in the know. But I'll check out the datejust all the same...

IWC - I know their low-end/entry-levels won't have in-house movement, which is okay. Are there a few models you would suggest I look at? (also - 38 mm is fine, I think I'd be willing to go up to 40mm...)

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by katiedaddy
I can't swim so I can't really say which one, but hopefully that will change this summer
laugh.gif

Reminds me of a 'Gary the watchmaker' cartoon in the back of IW a few issues ago.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raven
Hey Katiedaddy - yeah I'm not particularly interested in fashion watches (e.g. Chanel) - just not my style. All watches targeting women seem to be very jewel-encrusted or fashion/faddish. Which is why I prefer most men's watches. It's just classier in my mind. A watch should be the highlight, not other things like jewels and etc.

I'm trying to avoid Rolex if I can, just because it's so common. And on someone younger, I think a lot of ppl will assume it's fake. And this will come off incredibly snooty, but 'everyone' knows what a Rolex is... it'd be nice to have something a little more unique, and known by people in the know. But I'll check out the datejust all the same...

IWC - I know their low-end/entry-levels won't have in-house movement, which is okay. Are there a few models you would suggest I look at? (also - 38 mm is fine, I think I'd be willing to go up to 40mm...)

Cartier makes some classic models in the price range and size you're looking for: Tanks Francaise & Americaine and the Roadster come to mind.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
In fact, if you were a serious diver you would not wear a dive watch while actually diving. While I appreciate the history and aesthetic of dive watches, I never wear one diving. Wrist mounted computers / digital depth and bottom timers are what are worn nowadays.
Not entirely true. I know quite a few divers that wear dive watches. To each their own.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't realize this thread reached a million views.

Thanks to all the contributors
bigstar[1].gif

Not just that; this is the third most watched thread around here - pretty impressive Sir!

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Not entirely true. I know quite a few divers that wear dive watches. To each their own.

Wraith, that is my experience, at least in relation to divers who dive regularly (not just on summer holidays). There is a good reason why a dive watch is widely regarded as surplus kit - it does not record depth underwater, so even its utility as a back-up device is questionable.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
ET - If you love it, get it. It looks great on your wrist and I am sure its singing that sweet tune to your ears.

Now you're just taunting him...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not disparaging your experience, bhall41. Please do not disparage mine, which differs from yours. To each their own, as I said. The divers I was talking about are very experienced local divers on the south coast here. They wear depth gauges elsewhere, not on their wrist. Whether you think their wearing of dive watches is questionable or not really is of no concern to them, I'm sure.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I'm not disparaging your experience, bhall41. Please do not disparage mine, which differs from yours. To each their own, as I said. The divers I was talking about are very experienced local divers on the south coast here. They wear depth gauges elsewhere, not on their wrist. Whether you think their wearing of dive watches is questionable or not really is of no concern to them, I'm sure.

Wraith, I am not trying to disparage you or anyone else here. I am making an observation (based on personal experience) and also making the point that a dive watch has no real place in a diver's kit these days. My experience is that of a regular diver who has dived widely in both Australia and abroad. I hold numerous certifications, including technical certifications.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like diving watches and appreciate their history and aesthetic. However, it is unnecessary (and I would argue undesirable) to wear a diving watch to go diving nowadays. The reason for posting on this issue was to disabuse forum members who may think that a diving watch is still an essential tool for divers.
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads