1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

My mistake, IWC is using a highly modified Valjoux 7750 movement.

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I do like these watches but they are quite thick. From pictures I have seen they look a bit odd on the wrist because of that but I haven't tried one on yet. Soon.

A question to you TZ members out there, I can't seem to locate the page that provides description or instruction on TZ ratings. Can anyone direct me to it?

3. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

so,a bit of a stupid question...

I spilled hot coffee on my wrist and watch today. Now, according to the manufacturer's website the watch has a WR rating of 3atm, a o-ring crown, and a caseback gasket. I'm assuming the watch would be fine? Never really worried about spills and water before because my other watches have a pretty high WR, so I am a bit unsure of the 3 atm rating.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. lbtemple

lbtemple Active Member

I've had the double chronograph since the late 90's, it is now going for its second service and never had any problem. So, yes, it is durable movement, made by Valjoux.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thank you very much, sir.

As for the Longines issue. I think that the poster above had a good idea with the Zenith Captain Elite. The only question I have in regards to that watch is the movement... I am not sure that the Zenith Captain's use an in-house movement. Nonetheless, a lovely watch.

As the poster above me also suggested, I would definitely steer clear of Longines for the $5,000 range. I think that one would be much better served staying away from precious metals in that price range, and instead opting for stainless. Although Longines makes some very nice watches, the finishing is not what one would normally expect out of a $5,000 watch. At that range, you are going to be paying for the 'bling,' not the movement and the finishing. I have a bona fide plethora of suggestions in that price range, as that is the one in which I am currently operating :).

Here goes it...

First off, I think that Grand Seiko Spring Drive would be RIGHT up your alley. A particular dealer gives out some fine discounts. Honestly, I think that would be my number one choice for you, considering your price range. You could also start looking to JLC. I personally have this on the way as we speak:

[​IMG]

More pictures, of course, will be forthcoming when it arrives. I will think about some other ideas and get back to you.

Josh

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

http://www.timezone.com/library/tzguides/tzguides631730832192343750#GRADING

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You should be a-ok!

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

No problem bud.

10. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

lovely watch, those sword hands are so elegant.

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

THANKS!

12. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Beautiful...LOVE vintage Rolex!! Hope to buy one someday.

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

awesome watch Josh. it looks a lot better in person...congrats.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks Warren. I will be sure to take some pictures of it when it arrives in a couple days. I had to liquidate some things to get it, but I think it will be more than worth it :)

15. j stuff

j stuff New Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

There's lot's that you shoud be aware of ! [​IMG] and a good place to start is with reading up on the Mark11 models, here you will see the original dial for the Pilot's Watch - great reading
    http://www.markeleven.com/ IWC is a great manufacturer of quality watches

17. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

It is my humble opinion that you cannot go wrong with a JLC master series :)

Congratulations and wear it in good health!

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

are there certain watches for which they do not? I thought Zenith made all their own movements...they even make them for many designer brand watches I believe.

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

For some reason or another, and please don't quote me on this, I thought that some of their movements were not 100% in house... I tried googling it, but nothing came up, so I will give Zenith the benefit of the doubt :). I know that they provide a lot of watches with the El Primero movement, which is in house, however. I will check it out. Regardless, I still think that Zenith is one of the best "bang for your buck" brands out there. Some of there stuff is a bit gaudy, but they have some lovely pieces.

And thank you Cyclon for your well wishes!

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^^ IIRC Zenith actually made movements for Rolex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.