• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never understood those two models. If you're going to go to the trouble of breaking your bank to get a watch that has two sides, why not get one that actually has something on both sides?

Oyaji

Reaction score
bored.gif

I have not found any I actually liked on both side.
Wearing a watch with the crown on the left doesn't work for me, so having 2 was my solution,
Sorry for being redundant.
View on mechanism appealed me a lot.
And engravable version is the most classic version, I think there is nothing to understand neither to explain.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've never understood those two models. If you're going to go to the trouble of breaking your bank to get a watch that has two sides, why not get one that actually has something on both sides?

The model was originally created for polo players who wanted their watches on while playing but didn't want them to be damaged during the game. This way, they exposed the back of the watch (made out of metal) instead of the more fragile glass (thus preserving it).

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
This is my acquisition, a 1981 Rolex Stainless Datejust. Not fancy, just solid and simple, sort of like me.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oyaji
bored.gif
I have not found any I actually liked on both side. Wearing a watch with the crown on the left doesn't work for me, so having 2 was my solution, Sorry for being redundant. View on mechanism appealed me a lot. And engravable version is the most classic version, I think there is nothing to understand neither to explain.

Don't apologize. You've got two beautiful watches there. Wear them in good health. I was just expressing a curiosity of mine.
Originally Posted by .Kurtz.
The model was originally created for polo players who wanted their watches on while playing but didn't want them to be damaged during the game. This way, they exposed the back of the watch (made out of metal) instead of the more fragile glass (thus preserving it).
Interesting. Had no idea about that. Thanks for the knowledge.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Don't apologize. You've got two beautiful watches there. Wear them in good health. I was just expressing a curiosity of mine.

My wife has a Reverso Duetto that is actually very practical. One side is a "dress" watch, with tiny round mother-of-pearl face with dainty little hands and no numerals, and diamonds running around it. The other side is a nice practical readable watch, similar to the ones Oyaji posted upthread.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
Not specially suit friendly, but one of my favourites anyway:

30405266.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poindexter
A six thousand clam watch is your beater?
It was a lot less than that when i bought it nine years ago. It's also a very rugged watch and one I don't mind knocking around - it has seen a lot and I tend to reach for that one the most on weekends.

sterlingprice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
For the New Yorkers in this thread, I have a watch with a 2824-2 running about 30 seconds fast per day. I do not think it is magnetized as the watch has anti magnetic properties. Anyone know of a good reputable watch repair person in NYC. I just want to take it to the best place possible. Thanks!
Not cheap, but he does great work:
Swiss Watch Repair
515 Madison Ave # 1230
New York, NY 10022-5490
(212) 758-3224

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sterlingprice
Not cheap, but he does great work:
Swiss Watch Repair
515 Madison Ave # 1230
New York, NY 10022-5490
(212) 758-3224

+1; Alkis does tremendous work with impeccable customer service.

sterlingprice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oyaji
bored.gif

I have not found any I actually liked on both side.
Wearing a watch with the crown on the left doesn't work for me, so having 2 was my solution,
Sorry for being redundant.
View on mechanism appealed me a lot.
And engravable version is the most classic version, I think there is nothing to understand neither to explain.

I love the classic version, but am very temped by this fellow:

http://www.timezone.com/library/tmac...87709196542247

JLCREvWhDialCloseup2.jpg

JLCRev-BlDialCloseUp.jpg

It is about the same size as your classic one -- I don't care for the larger reversos so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads