1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Blue/Orange...hmmm all I can think of is the IWC Cousteau Diver or Sinn Air Cargo.

Edit: Just saw slightly customized. Did you get a diver and switch out the bezel from Schaumburg?

2. Singular

Singular Senior member

Nope, it's not a Aquamatic case variety.

Yes, the IWC Cousteau is a beauty too - but I'm not too sure about the Luftwaf...sorry...Lufthansa Cargo.

/M

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Interesting....

Would you buy one?

Unfortunately the design of the spring drives are somewhat lacking. The GMTs are ok though. I am waiting for them to develop something that looks nice and classic. The Credor Sonnerie is nice but somewhat out of my price range - by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

wow, so many IWCs, panerai, Sinn, GO, etc.

how do you guys get these? some of you have 2 or 3 , even dozens.

are all vintage models? and if so, anyone care to share where I can go to join you?
    and if these are all brand new when you bought them, are these from grey market dealers? and if so, ayone care to share again?

thanks.

my humble watch collection consists of: 2 seikos, 1 gruen , and an Oris. all autos yes.

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

My Patek was a college graduation present.

My IWC was purchased from an Ebay seller with a brick-and-mortar shop. We negotiated at length outside of Ebay, which saved me several hundred dollars because he didn't have to charge me the fees he'd have had to pay. The watch is currently in Schaffhausen undergoing a complete overhaul, which will probably cost me as much again as a more modest watch like the next one.

The LeCoultre bumper wind pictured is from the early '50s. It has a power reserve indicator right below 12 o'clock. The dial is original and my watchmaker refused to refinish it or the hands. I got it on Ebay for around $550, which is quite high for a LeCoultre bumper wind. I had it overhauled and the case polished for about $250, for a total investment of roughly $800. It's hardly the most accurate watch, but it gets more compliments than all my other watches put together.

[​IMG]

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

cross-posting from WAYWT thread as it certainly belongs in the WPT [​IMG]

Wearing a cousin of Nantucket Red's watch yesterday all day:

[​IMG]

7. Nantucket Red

So we've got a bumper wind power reserve and a Memovox. If somebody posts a Futurematic and a Mystery Dial, we'll have JLC's iconic watches from that era.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I have a Longines Mystery Dial

[​IMG]

I call it my Thom Browne watch.

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

wow, so many IWCs, panerai, Sinn, GO, etc.

how do you guys get these? some of you have 2 or 3 , even dozens.

are all vintage models? and if so, anyone care to share where I can go to join you?
    and if these are all brand new when you bought them, are these from grey market dealers? and if so, ayone care to share again?

thanks.

my humble watch collection consists of: 2 seikos, 1 gruen , and an Oris. all autos yes.

Watches here are cheaper than in North America. And I was lucky enough to earn extra money- enough to finance a few watches this year. I got a Sinn 856, a Panerai Pam024 and a Pam005. Before I got into these watches my dress watch was the cheapest Omega Speedmaster available in the AD and a Casio G-shock for a beater watch.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Watches here are cheaper than in North America. And I was lucky enough to earn extra money- enough to finance a few watches this year. I got a Sinn 856, a Panerai Pam024 and a Pam005. Before I got into these watches my dress watch was the cheapest Omega Speedmaster available in the AD and a Casio G-shock for a beater watch.

ok then brother, tell me where and how to get them!

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Very nice.

[​IMG]
    ooooooo

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

ok then brother, tell me where and how to get them!

Brother, the best way if for you to know your budget, then look around and see what appeals to you most. Having a watch fetish is a very dangerous thing- it might even affect your shoe budget! [​IMG]

There are some Asian-based gray market sellers online that are quite reliable, and in some cases have inventories that I suspect were sourced from authorized distributors to unload quickly- hence their very attractive prices. The sites collectorstime and prestigetime are examples of that. Otherwise, buying from reputable sellers or getting pre-owned watches from Timezone or Watchnet is also good.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Brother, the best way if for you to know your budget, then look around and see what appeals to you most. Having a watch fetish is a very dangerous thing- it might even affect your shoe budget! [​IMG]

There are some Asian-based gray market sellers online that are quite reliable, and in some cases have inventories that I suspect were sourced from authorized distributors to unload quickly- hence their very attractive prices. The sites collectorstime and prestigetime are examples of that. Otherwise, buying from reputable sellers or getting pre-owned watches from Timezone or Watchnet is also good.

thank you my brother; will look into those right now!

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

My sister needed a Christmas idea for me so I sent her that link the other week. So we'll see next month if I have a personal review.

Thanks, SoCal. I've seen those posts in TZ too, but I don't think anybody posted them being worn. I'll look forward to your review.

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

thank you my brother; will look into those right now!
    Sheesh. I stand corrected. It's collectorstime and timephilosophy, brother. Sorry. Also check out jwwatch.com and visotime brother.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i like the Bell & Ross Diver Chatelain Chronograph RS

is this a good brand? i see ads on this brand all the time, but no one talks about it here.

priced at 1700~

17. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

is this a good brand? i see ads on this brand all the time, but no one talks about it here.

priced at 1700~

[​IMG]

Does nothing personally for me (as do any of their other non-square face watches, except for GDL's B&RxSinn). For a bit more you can get one of the square faced pieces which is what B&R's current statement is all about. Visually they can be very appealing to some; but, techincally those watches that you see in the ADs don't have a movement to write home about...which doesn't meant you shouldn't buy one. But, when an AD will knock 33% off the MSRP it says something about how inflated the prices are and what they are actually "worth."

18. Nantucket Red

Baume & Mercier ultrathin manual circa mid-'60s.

[​IMG]

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

priced at 1700~

It looks like a Type XX knock-off, a watch made for the French air force in the 50's by various manufacturers, including Breguet. Take a look at the current Breguet Type XX models; the similarities are obvious.

Funny that Bell & Ross would model their 'diver' watch on a watch made for military pilots.

20. whacked

whacked Senior member

But, when an AD will knock 33% off the MSRP it says something about how inflated the prices are and what they are actually "worth."

Hold on there... Significant AD discounts on Rolex and Officine Panerai are notoriously hard to get; does that mean their prices are less inflated and better represent the "worth" than, say, IWC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.