1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

[​IMG]

this is what i are getting next...
    man sized, 43mm, compared to the 34mm JLC (lady sized)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

3. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

Since when 34mm has become ladies size?

I have not realize that I wear some ladies watches like this

[​IMG]

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

A rose gold 43mm watch on anybody who is not physically massive themselves screams 'insecurity' like none other. With the case height of a lot of watches nowadays, I'd max out at 38mm myself, 40 would be huge on me. Would 43mm even fit under your shirt cuff?

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Thank you!

The massive watch trend has got to end. They make 48 and 50mm watches. I mean unless you are a competing bodybuilder and have the physical mass to carry it off, you just look silly. I really hope the pendulum starts to swing the other day and watch sizes go back to where they were in the late 90's... 36-42mm.

6. chim

chim Well-Known Member

for 13k i'd look at an AP royal oak

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

See original post:

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

vacheron

1 person likes this.
  9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ Singular - a beauty!

10. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Between the Breguet 5140 Enamel dial, and the FPJ CS. This is probably my favorite modern dress watch. I only saw couple listing for the watch, it went for around 10k. It is a relevantly new watch. It was release a couple years ago iirc. I would get this watch over Patek Philippe Calatrava any day.

Patrimony Traditionelle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in Rose gold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Singular

Singular Senior member

Spot on.

12. mandragoru

mandragoru Active Member

Here are some of mine:
    Dressy:
    [​IMG]
    Sporty:
    [​IMG]
    Daily:
    [​IMG]

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I love that VC patrimony as well. I saw one in gold going for about $10K too, in Japan. I think the Lange 1815 handwind is a reasonable alternative as well.

14. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

As I know very little about your taste in watches, a few - diverse - suggestions which are all capable of being worn with a suit, although not necessarily dress watches -

(a) JLC - Master Ultra Thin or Memovox;

(b) Glashutte Original - PanoMatic or Senator Sixties;

(c) Grand Seiko -especially a hi-beat model;

(d) D Dornbluth - e.g. calibre 99.1 or 99.4 although at 42 mm you would need a fairly large wrist to pull this off;

(e) Patek Philippe- Calatrava;

(f) Vintage Rolex submariner e.g. calibre 5512 or 5513;

(g) Zenith- El Primero chronograph.

With the exception of Patek Philippe, all these watches are under your budget purchased new, so long as you stick to a steel case.

I would also reconsider the IWC Portuguese - beautiful range of watches.

15. junior varsity

ok... i dont know how small you are, but i am 5'7 and 150lbs (considered TINY in USA) ...
    this cartier watch is 42mm... and it fits me just right.
    [​IMG]

this is me wearing my 40mm rolex 'dress' watch...

[​IMG]

my first real watch was a 36mm tag heuer diver and that was fine when i was like 20 years old and probably 140lbs, but here i stand at 26 and a bit stronger than before, i wouldnt go below 40mm...

i cant imagine how a 34mm would look on a 6'1, 180lb, caucasian male...

look...

here is jen aniston (5'5) with a 40mm modified rolex (same as my rolex)

[​IMG]

here is victoria beckham (TINY TINY lady) with a 40mm daytona

[​IMG]

this isnt 1950s anymore... wearing 34mm is just beyond unfashionable... its emasculating

actually, to prove my point - this was the first woman to wear a man's rolex... from goldfinger... MANY years before today -

[​IMG]

16. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

JuniorVaristy,

I am not a fan of the big watch trend. Unless you have large wrists, watches in the range of 35 mm to 42 mm are perfect for most guys. In fact, 42mm watches usually only work IMO where the dial is black or the bezel is thick (e.g. a diver's watch).

IMO your Cartier looks a little too large for your wrist, looking at the length of the lugs, and especially as the dial is white. The photo also gives the impression that your watch is squeezing your wrist: is the band tight?

Your Milgauss on the other hand looks great.

Re women wearing large (man size) watches, well that's just fashion. Doesn't have anything to do with style for grown up men. :nodding:

17. style_man

style_man Well-Known Member

your height has nothing at all to do with how big of a watch you can wear. your wrist circumference does. A short man can have a very girthy wrist, and a tall man can have a very thin wrist.

18. junior varsity

as i said, i am not a big guy, i am very slim and quite fit (8% bodyfat @ 150lbs/5'7)... so if you say that my 40mm rolex looks great on me, then the same 40mm rolex on someone who's a male, average build, 6'1, and 180-200lbs and up would looks ridiculously small (it is only reasonable to observe the law of proportions, yeah?)
    i am starting to think my planet ocean 42mm is getting too small, yes even on my small ass wrist :nodding:

on the topic of women wearing larger man sized watches - if you were out on a date, there is no way that you can wear a 34mm and your date is sporting a 43mm... obviously you perceive that its fashion/trendy ... but if it began to be trendy back when pussy galore from goldfinger was hot, then can you really call it fashion? fashion = temporary, while style = long term. if the "trend" spanned several decades... then its style. :teach:

by the way - this is a 36mm datejust on a GIRL... and it looks small... 34mm on a grown MAN..... :uhoh:
    [​IMG]

19. junior varsity

obviously... but i stated my weight and bodyfat %... so if i'm 5'7, 150lbs and low body fat that means my body parts should contain less mass... because muscle is more compact than fat
    and women obviously have SMALLER wrists than men.. especially those thin women i have posted... victoria beckham is literally anorexic, and jen aniston is very very thin
    there is no way for those women to have grithy wrists...

20. style_man

style_man Well-Known Member

how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.