• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudypm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
ML1.jpg

really nice!!

Avocat

Reaction score
So many beautiful time pieces here, just brings tears to my eyes! Hmmm, been collecting for some time now also, but my favorite pieces these days seem to be my Rolex Oyster Royalite, c. 1940s (my IWC Portofino is my daily wearer currently). On weekends, I enjoy my vintage WWII Rolex Skyrocket (shockproof, military dial) which I inherited from my father (along with his gold Air King). Otherwise, I’ll put on my vintage Tudor Oyster Air Lion (by Rolex), c. 1950 (jet-black honey comb dial). The Royalite, Skyrocket and Air Lion are all manual wind, smaller dials (boy’s size by today’s standard, but standard size for military pieces; then, the Portofino’s not much bigger, itself a mid-size and slim, as noted above. Though I like the Tool watches/larger cases also (I love that GMT, very nice; myself have a Submariner which reminds me is due for its service/overhaul), as they serve their purpose extremely well; but I’m just as likely to put on my Ebel Discovery or Raymond Weil Sport (on black rubber) when on vacation – or even a Hammy Khaki Chrono (has the 7750 workhorse, and also an excellent entry-level Swiss in response to those asking about entry levels, in my op.), as I really don’t want to attract undue attention when taking to the drink (aka the sea as in water sports) or otherwise in foreign lands, but could just be me (I’m just saying, that’s all … ). Ah, but if I were calculating cross winds/impending doom [as per the Breitling comment above, love it and your watch! (and in terms of collecting, the more complicated, the better they say)] ... Rolex: A bit of History: That said, I personally enjoy the fact that Rolex made watches in Canada during the war, selling them to CDN soldiers going overseas at PX military stores (note: Omega, Breitling and Rodania enjoyed contracts with the RCAF to make spec chronos through the 1950s, w/ Heuer making Flieger chronos for Germany (1935-40s), and Hamilton produced for the US military, suspending all civilian production for it, I believe). Rolex further supported Allied troops during WW2 in that, on being captured and losing their watches, POWs could order a Rolex on their “promise to pay” later (saying an officer's word was enough, though Hans Wilsdorf never collected, as I recall; whole thing boosted morale of the allies in turn). Just a bit of history on Rolex, which thought some people might like to know and which I’d share, in turn for all the wonderful pieces shared here. I'll see about getting a macro so that I can share some of mine with you, and thank you all again for sharing - I say again, wonderful pieces! tl/DR Rolex supported the allies, making watches in Canada for soldiers and gifting watches to POWs in the camps during WWII, being also the first to patent/bring many firsts to market, and I like them, too (history, along w. engineering quality).

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Today's wear - two worn old pieces, with lovely patina...

duo2p.jpg

/M

These are stunning
inlove.gif
Definitely on the lookout for a vintage Rolex

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both made in 1969..
101114Choices-4.jpg

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Both made in 1969..
101114Choices-4.jpg

Love vintage Rolexes, the new ones are too blingy for me.

chas

Reaction score
br2.jpeg

Not mine -- but I am considering this watch. Because I trust my internets friends so much. I am curious to hear opinions. I have a dress watch and thought this would be a great casual watch.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
Very nice! What is the name of this model?

Thanks, it's Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic 42mm. I find the it looks much nicer in person than many of it's stock photo's suggest.

I can wear with a suit; like the other photos, or casual - pretty versatile.

1d8283e2.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Your Hamilton field watch looks real good. You're right about those stock photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads