The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I really like these two. Any good sources for shagreen straps, as seen on the Oris?

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a Martin Braun "La Sonnerie I". No. 65/100. It has a very nice chime/ring to the alarm that is fun to set before a meeting when you want it to be a short one. The band is croc and deep navy that is a nice compliment to the blue hands. I got this because I enjoy the old style numerals and crowns. They give it a simple vintage style but in a modern watch.

Great looking watch. Where did you find it?

4. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

Most of them my wife bought me as presents. All I can say is, I married the right woman. I'm sure in due time, you too will own a few high end watches.

[​IMG] you sure did and i really like your seamaster

JonF i love your speedmaster, my dream watch !

[​IMG]

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great looking watch. Where did you find it?

Having gotten re-married, I was trading in a watch given to me by my ex-wife. A non-Martin Braun dealer had this one which he had just received in trade under similar circumstances. It had been given to the guy by his soon to be ex, WWIII broke out, and he never wore it! So, I got essentially a brand new watch. The wooden box that it came in is amazing. I was thinking that it would make a great humidor!

Since many of his watches are limited editions, it is nice to have something that you don't see on everyone. Yet, I also love my Submariner.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Since many of his watches are limited editions, it is nice to have something that you don't see on everyone. Yet, I also love my Submariner.

Interesting. The two extremes - the most ubiquitous mechanical watch ever and a rare small series timepiece.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

What about the Luminor Submersible?
    Does the extra casing just add insult to injury when you're already at 44mm?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

What about the Luminor Submersible?

[​IMG]

I like the North Pole edition, I just don't get up there enough to justify it......

9. gdl203

The PAM87 sub 1000m is great and I think the case is perfectly proportionate. It's one of the truly classic PAMs (affectionately nicknamed "La Bomba")

The North Pole GMT compass bezel thing is a bad joke IMO. Very gimmicky

As far as size is concerned, Panerai is one of the few brands that have big cases as part of their DNA, so they cannot ever be faulted for using large, chunky cases IMO. If anything, most of their current cases are smaller than the original they're "replicating". Subs are inspired by the old Egiziano, which was 60mm+

10. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

The North Pole GMT compass bezel thing is a bad joke IMO. Very gimmicky

Thank you. I was sitting there figuring out how that would actually be used as a compass.

11. gdl203

Thank you. I was sitting there figuring out how that would actually be used as a compass.

Sadly it can actually. I don't remember how exactly but it's something like pointing the hour hand to the sun and depending on whether it's AM or PM you align the bezel one way or another... et voila you know where the North is. [​IMG]

12. RichardKunin

RichardKunin Well-Known Member

I really like these two. Any good sources for shagreen straps, as seen on the Oris?
    No idea, the Oris with the strap was a passed down to me by my father. If I find out I'll be sure to tell you. A few more. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I'm thinking about the Submersible for Christmas; but, I want to try it on. Is it that much heftier in terms of weight?

Also what's the best Panerai source in NY? I don't want to go to Torneau and the only other placed I've been in Wempe.

14. gdl203

I'm thinking about the Submersible for Christmas; but, I want to try it on. Is it that much heftier in terms of weight?

Also what's the best Panerai source in NY? I don't want to go to Torneau and the only other placed I've been in Wempe.

Yes it is very heavy

If you only want to shop at authorized dealers, then Wempe and Cellini are my only recommendations.

There are a number of grey market dealers in the city that will give you better prices than list (couple in diamond district). They generally advertise their current inventory on Paneristi's collector market, which I imagine you're familiar with

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Cool maybe I'll check them out (names?). I'm also trying to sweeten up the owners of some of the stores (ADs) in my region I now oversee who carry Rolex, Ulysee Nardin, Hublot, Panerai and IWC to see what they could offer me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.