The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

ridiculous, at 135 pounds, why not go to a Panerai boutique and get one about the same price.

There is no OEM strap in that calf.

2. zinman74

zinman74 Well-Known Member

Love that EZM3, I had one for a long time, great watch. Now have the U1, which will be with me even longer I think. Pics soon.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

ridiculous, at 135 pounds, why not go to a Panerai boutique and get one about the same price.

Well, if you want the famous Russian Reindeer...

4. tricky

tricky Senior member

I have my trusty Ball & Engineer watch on today.

[​IMG]

Wow that is a great looking watch. I've been saving up for a Rolex but after seeing your pic I started looking at the Ball line-up and am really loving the look of the Engineer Hydrocarbon Spacemaster and Magnate GMT.

I've haven't heard much about the reliability and quality of Ball but I'm intrigued. Maybe I won't have to save up as much now [​IMG]

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, if you want the famous Russian Reindeer...

Not to be overly distrustful of that e-bay seller, but how can one be sure of how legit this is?

A couple of things that I found slightly suspicious: Repeatedly calling himself a 'Master Craftsman', repeatedly calling other's quality into question, not mentioning that the leather is reindeer, putting 'Metta', 'Genuine' and 'Vintage' in quotation marks and not having a web site.

Of course, he addresses such concerns by including a Certificate of Authenticity - but who does this authentification?

StephenStyle, I'm not trying to cast any doubts on your purchase - I'm only asking as I think your strap looks great and I'm considering getting one for myself.

6. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Good points. Apparently he makes the some items for Cleverley including their shoe cleaning cases and document wallets. Obviously this could all be fabricated but it seems to add up.

It certainly smells like Russia calf - not sure how easy that would be to replicate...

Not to be overly distrustful of that e-bay seller, but how can one be sure of how legit this is?

A couple of things that I found slightly suspicious: Repeatedly calling himself a 'Master Craftsman', repeatedly calling other's quality into question, not mentioning that the leather is reindeer, putting 'Metta', 'Genuine' and 'Vintage' in quotation marks and not having a web site.

Of course, he addresses such concerns by including a Certificate of Authenticity - but who does this authentification?

StephenStyle, I'm not trying to cast any doubts on your purchase - I'm only asking as I think your strap looks great and I'm considering getting one for myself.

7. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Hi,My b/f's b-day is coming, I wanna send him a watch for present (www.timenets.com) ,i picked the Vacheron Constantin . Can anyone give me any idea on it?????? Thxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a ha ha, very funny... thats a replica watch site, and i suspect he knows you're not able to dish out $20,000 for the real VC... [​IMG] edit: i got tricked by a spambot (above).. same post on a dozen threads

8. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hi,My b/f's b-day is coming, I wanna send him a watch for present

(www.timenets.com) ,i picked the Vacheron Constantin . Can anyone give

me any idea on it??????
    Thxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ajv

ajv Senior member

Interesting watch. I don't quite get the outer day ring but its certainly unique. Since its got a second hand, what's the subdial at the 9 for? Or is that second hand looking thing pointing to the current day?

Yeah, that second hand looking thing is the day of the week pointer.
    The real question is what are those 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 markers for on the outer ring.

^ Maybe they're to indicate that the weekday hand goes counter-clockwise?

I mean, if the order the days are written doesn't give it away [​IMG]

Zipphy had it right an Kaplan nailed it.

Adrian

10. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

11. gdl203

[​IMG]

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Good points. Apparently he makes the some items for Cleverley including their shoe cleaning cases and document wallets. Obviously this could all be fabricated but it seems to add up.

It certainly smells like Russia calf - not sure how easy that would be to replicate...

There's always a risk but it sounds like Stephen did whatever due diligence that can be done and, most importantly, he likes it. I'm thinking about getting one, too.

13. Trifon

Trifon Well-Known Member

14. gdl203

^^ love this

More info please ?

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

This just arrived, after a really, really long waiting period. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.