The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malat

malat Senior member

2. Singular

Singular Senior member

3. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

Another "Dornie". This is a special one, the hands and numbers are in polished Stainless Steel.

[​IMG]

4. nozorro

nozorro Well-Known Member

^ Truth be said, I had my doubts up until the moment I received it.

great watch. and great dedication in finding it!

5. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

A they are making watches so big these days that the lugs stick out on a wrist of almost all men, they obviously had to make up a new measurement to make the lugs sticking out OK. I personally think the salesman's "opinion" is just sales talk.

everyone will have to decide for themselves what size of watch they think look good, but I can't imagine it being very comfortable to wear a 44-50mm watch if you have 6" wrists (well I do and it isn't to me).

We weren't talking lugs per se, more just overall size of the watch. Panerais (not the Radiomir pictured) are weird as they appear more wide than long (so they're huge on the wrist but don't stick off so much).

FWIW, my watches top out at 40mm, which is the largest I'd go.

6. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

FWIW, my watches top out at 40mm, which is the largest I'd go.

Same for me - actually, lug-to-lug length is more of a factor and at around 52mm it's at the wrist limit for me.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

8. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

You´re not alone on that one...[​IMG]

+1

-LR

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

[​IMG]

/M

Love vintage Rolexes way more than the current models especially the GMT.

10. Captain Winky

Love vintage Rolexes way more than the current models especially the GMT.

+1, with the exception of the no-date Sub (a classic), the on-its-way-out 36mm Explorer and the Explorer II. Otherwise, there's not a single part of the Rolex lineup that wasn't better pre-2005.

11. rdaws

rdaws Senior member

What is the exact model and strap of this IWC?

I'd like to know as well - that strap is amazing, it looks a lot brighter and richer than anything in the catalog. Want.

12. daloc22

daloc22 Well-Known Member

13. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the watch world, but I have a quick question- why does TAG Heuer seem to under-represented, here? Heuers from the pre-TAG days seem to be quite respected, but I can't help but notice the lack of the more modern watches in these pages.

I ask partly because I'm strongly considering a Carrera chrono (CV2011) as my first "big boy" watch. I'd previously been heart set on a Speedmaster, but only the Reduced falls into my price range and I'd rather hold off on that particular watch until I can comfortably spend the money for the Professional.

The TAG seems to be a nice looking alternative, but I don't want to spend any money on something I may come to dislike as my knowledge of watches grows.

Thanks!

14. Captain Winky

Hey guys, I'm new to the watch world, but I have a quick question- why does TAG Heuer seem to under-represented, here? Heuers from the pre-TAG days seem to be quite respected, but I can't help but notice the lack of the more modern watches in these pages.

I ask partly because I'm strongly considering a Carrera chrono (CV2011) as my first "big boy" watch. I'd previously been heart set on a Speedmaster, but only the Reduced falls into my price range and I'd rather hold off on that particular watch until I can comfortably spend the money for the Professional.

The TAG seems to be a nice looking alternative, but I don't want to spend any money on something I may come to dislike as my knowledge of watches grows.

Thanks!

Look at a Speedmaster Date. While I'm a big fan of the manual wind professional, the date has a date, is an automatic, and a damn fine looking one at that. Shouldn't run you more than $2,300 BNIB from an AD.

15. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Thanks!

I have used my CV2017 as my day to day watch for the last three years. There is not much love for TAG on this forum but I don't really care. I wanted a watch with a classic car racing feel to it and am very happy with my choice. If you like the look and feel of the CV2011 go ahead and buy it. The watch will get lots of compliments in real life but might produce some smart ass remarks on this forum.

If you are insecure about if your feelings for it will change in a couple of years maybe you should wait and go with something else. The Speedmaster Date that Captain Winky suggested would be a nice choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.