1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nice. I've got a Malvern Aviator that sitting in my drawer that I need to sell off. Its a great piece. Too bad because I never wear the damn thing.

2. venessian

venessian Senior member

3. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Senior member

Certainly! [​IMG] 3.3 mil serial, so approx 1971-72.

[​IMG]

The best part about it is how clean it is for a 40 year old watch. Great find.

4. totenhosen

totenhosen Active Member

<snip>

Not sure if your tastes go to old Omega's but I saw many vintage ladies ones when I was looking for mens..

5. Singular

Singular Senior member

Today, a brown budget build;

[​IMG]

/M

6. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

7. Raven

Raven Active Member

Not sure if your tastes go to old Omega's but I saw many vintage ladies ones when I was looking for mens..

I'm afraid I'm still too much of a novice to know what I should look for in a vintage watch...

I've seen a number of vintage watches on this thread, and I still haven't really picked up on how some vintages would be more appealing than their modern counterpart.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Raven, why do you need to have an in-house movement?

I just got a JLC Master Control ultra thin and it actually meets all your criteria, 34mm, in-house movement, higher quality than the IWC's in the same kinda price range, etc, etc, and it was much less than you'd expect. It'd work well as a women's watch (I have very thin wrists)

9. Raven

Raven Active Member

Raven, why do you need to have an in-house movement? I just got a JLC Master Control ultra thin and it actually meets all your criteria, 34mm, in-house movement, higher quality than the IWC's in the same kinda price range, etc, etc, and it was much less than you'd expect. It'd work well as a women's watch (I have very thin wrists)
    It doesn't have to be in-house, that would just be a nice thing to have. Obviously a lot of watches like IWC in my price range wouldn't be in-house... but definitely if it meets my other criteria, that'd be a great fit. That sounds perfect! Which JLC Master Control model and how much?

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

The JLC Ultra thins are near perfect dress watches.

Regards.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

It doesn't have to be in-house, that would just be a nice thing to have. Obviously a lot of watches like IWC in my price range wouldn't be in-house... but definitely if it meets my other criteria, that'd be a great fit.

That sounds perfect! Which JLC Master Control model and how much?

I bought this used, but I have the bill from the overhaul done at JLC Japan and it cost $750+ to do a service on it. =\\ Considering the price of the watch, it's not particularly worth it, but yeah, it's a nice watch, but that's what you're looking at to have a proprietary movement like that. It's the Master Control Ultra Thin, and it's just that, ultra thin. It's actually not an automatic, it's handwind, but since I will not wear it too often, that doesn't really bother me much. I have a Sinn 356 I wear daily.

12. dominique

dominique New Member

hi,

do you know some models of interesting watches for women?

13. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

Just bought these two vintage Omegas to start my collection - one more formal and one a little casual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Consider purchasing the one below as well to add the gold color, but I'm guessing it's better to mix it up with some other brands when starting a collection. It's just that the vintage Omegas seem to be such a great value and are really beautiful. Look at the picture below - what would you do?

[​IMG]

Should I buy or consider something else in the <$2K price range?

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Where did you get those two? I hardly ever see vintage Omegas in such great shape.

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Where did you get those two? I hardly ever see vintage Omegas in such great shape.

Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.[​IMG]

http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html

Regards.

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.[​IMG] http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html Regards.
    Exactly my first thought. Way too nice looking to be vintage. But hey, you never know.

17. Raven

Raven Active Member

Exactly my first thought. Way too nice looking to be vintage. But hey, you never know.

So... are those 'vintage' omegas on ebay not legit? (sorry, I'm completely new to buying nice watches...)

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So... are those 'vintage' omegas on ebay not legit? (sorry, I'm completely new to buying nice watches...)
    They very well might be. It depends. Shikar was making the point, and this was my fear upon originally seeing those images, that vintage watches should look "vintage" i.e. old. Those two look brand new.

19. JDelage

JDelage Senior member

Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.[​IMG]

http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html

Regards.

Are those fake?

20. Raven

Raven Active Member

They very well might be. It depends. Shikar was making the point, and this was my fear upon originally seeing those images, that vintage watches should look "vintage" i.e. old. Those two look brand new.

Well, what's a more dependable place to buy from?

Couple of those ebay Omegas are $100-200... seems WAY too low to be true...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.