1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

2. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Portugese Chrono (the auto is more than I want to spend)
    [​IMG]

This.

3. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

This.

+1

4. sjg22

sjg22 Senior member

My only comment is that if you're buying only one, than your best bet is to go with the one that is the most versatile. In which case, I would choose the Speedy, even though I absolutely love the Portuguese, which is stunning. I've always liked the idea of wearing a watch you can throw on your wrist and not worry about - i.e., jump in a pool, wear to the office, or do whatever else may come your way. The Portuguese is beautiful but delicate and I would suggest that it almost needs to be paired with a weekend watch (kind of like the idea of a winter car to go with your summer car). The Explorer I is also a great watch, but I think you'd get sick of the small size at some point.

So my vote is Speedy or Portuguese, depending on what other watches you have or are planning to buy.

5. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

So my vote is Speedy or Portuguese

+1

-LR

6. Singular

Singular Senior member

7. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

8. Swededude

Swededude Senior member

Wouldn't jump in a pool with a Speedy either, aren't they waterproof only to 50m? Or is it more?

9. afterglow

afterglow Well-Known Member

I think the Speedy dresses up nicely with a croc strap.

10. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Love that JLC Navy Seal Auto, me wants...

Yesterday pulled out the IWC Pilot Laureus. Not sure why I do not wear this one more often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Today's pick. Mixing a more formal piece with a casual fit. GO 60's on black croc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Early Christmas gift from the wife (pic from the interwebz) -- [​IMG] I'm not a fan of automatics, but I do think that it's a great looking watch. [​IMG]

13. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

Early Christmas gift from the wife (pic from the interwebz) --

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of automatics, but I do think that it's a great looking watch. [​IMG]

I like it. Very classical watch!

14. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

Love that JLC Navy Seal Auto, me wants...

Yesterday pulled out the IWC Pilot Laureus. Not sure why I do not wear this one more often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. Rarely see these, G - noice!

15. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Oh yeah. Rarely see these, G - noice!

Here is a high Res scan. Only the Laureus is mine.

[​IMG]

16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Love that GO and RW.

17. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/M

Nice! Which Sinn is that?

18. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I realize I am basically looking at 3 sport watches and 1 casual-capable dress watch. While the Portugese line is the first that I can remember loving, the big brother auto is the one I really love. The reality is I will never spend the money for it and it looks like an oreo on my wrist. The Port Chrono would be PERFECT with the auto's subdial placement.

The Mark XVI perfectly straddles the sporty/dress-capable line IMO. The big drawback is that while I have no intentions on selling down the road, I very well could, and I basically see no one else interested in this model, so I would probably take a bath on it. I also think it is overpriced even with a good AD discount, and have yet to see one come up for sale in the used market.

The (old) Explorer is a winner in every way except case size. I don't like the Explorer II, and I don't want something as obvious and commonplace as a Submariner.

The Speedy is terrific, classic, but is also the most sporty and not as versatile to me. While I love its looks, it (IMO) does not look like a 4k watch.

I know this isn't the intent of this thread, I'll take my decision process offline, thanks.

May I suggest a new contender: the Blancpain Aqualung. It looks very similar to the Explorer, with the added benefits of a larger case size and date window. The older version that I own is 38 mm with a small date window. The newer version is 40 mm with a big date window.

20. Rkjfk

Rkjfk Active Member

Nice! Which Sinn is that?
    EZM3, isn't it? judging from the pictures it could also be a EZM2 i guess, but i've seen posts with his EZM3 from before

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.