1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gezuz

gezuz Well-Known Member

Quick q: got a baume and mercier geneve that will cost $360 to repair. Worth it? Or too subjective to opine on? Pics earlier in this thread.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

An expensive watch is often expensive to repair. Just how it goes.

3. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

Quick q: got a baume and mercier geneve that will cost $360 to repair. Worth it? Or too subjective to opine on? Pics earlier in this thread.
    That seems to be roughly the start cost for a mechanical watch repair (which is usually an overhaul). This is what it will probably cost to have your watch serviced, once the warranty period ends. So, to answer your question: Yes.

4. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

6. peezie

peezie Senior member

why isn't the roman numeral for "4", is as "IIII".

My Roman is rusty, but isn't it "IV"

FAILwatch?

Apparently it's a watch thing. My Breitling Crosswind did the exact same thing.

7. Singular

Singular Senior member

Afternoon in the gym;

[​IMG]

/M

8. Rkjfk

Rkjfk Active Member

Afternoon in the gym; /M
    Nice Mikael, EZM3 is brilliant, gym, not so much.

9. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

Speedy Mk II on Omega mesh [​IMG]

[​IMG]

love the mesh[​IMG]

10. dshin

dshin Senior member

11. bbboy05

bbboy05 Member

Can't afford a PVD Submariner so bought this Parnis for 1% of the price. [​IMG]

12. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

love the mesh[​IMG]

Thank you kindly [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Singular

Singular Senior member

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Hoping to narrow down to 'the one' this weekend. Short list as of now:

Omega SpeedMaster Pro
    Panerai Radiomir 210
    IWC Mark XVI
    IWC Portugese Chrono
    Longines Master Auto Chronograph
    Rolex Explorer I

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

16. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Hoping to narrow down to 'the one' this weekend. Short list as of now:

Omega SpeedMaster Pro
    Panerai Radiomir 210
    IWC Mark XVI
    IWC Portugese Chrono
    Longines Master Auto Chronograph
    Rolex Explorer I

Nice choices. Is this supposed to be a 'one watch' or are you thinking of adding one to a collection?

17. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Nice choices. Is this supposed to be a 'one watch' or are you thinking of adding one to a collection?

It will be my first fine watch, so while I can't have it all, I am striving for versatility.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Obviously, the best recommendation would be to go with the one that sings the most to you.

If you don't have any clear favourites, here are some thoughts that may or may not help - all IMHO, of course. I've considered all but one watch on your list at one time or another.

How do you feel about manually winding a watch every other day or so? Some love it as part of a daily routine, but I never really got the hang of it with my PAM 177. At least it's a point to consider with the Speedy Pro and the PAM 210.

Are you comfortable with larger watches? At 45mm the Radiomir isn't exactly discreet. My Luminor (44mm) is seeing less and less wrist time. (Though, if you love the Radiomir, the base model 210 is one of the prettiest ones with it's clean dial, IMO.)

Instead of the Mark XVI I would look for a Mark XV in good condition. I recently managed to get a new one and it's a keeper.

The Portugueses are beautiful watches (though I prefer the Automatic to the Chrono), but personally I fear that they will wear too big with their 41mm being almost all dial (I feel a Speedy Pro at 42mm wears/seems smaller).

I've never really considered the Longines, but I can't say anything against it.

Were you planning on going with the discontinued 36mm Explorer or the new 39mm model? I'm not a fan of what they did to the new one, but I think the old one is great and one of the best Rolexes.

Actually, the Explorer would be my first recommendation for a highly versatile watch. I wore a no-date sub exclusively for about 20 years and I can't speak highly enough for it's ruggedness. With the steel bracelet you can wear it diving one day and climbing a mountain the next.

And if you don't need the depth rating of a sub, an Explorer will do just as well. It might even be more versatile, as it'll be less inconspicuous than a sub (can especially be a benefit when travelling). It'll also dress up better for CBD.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thank you kindly [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is that a special case the mesh bracelet is attached to? It looks completely different than the regular Speedy case.
    Hoping to narrow down to 'the one' this weekend. Short list as of now: Omega SpeedMaster Pro Panerai Radiomir 210 IWC Mark XVI IWC Portugese Chrono Longines Master Auto Chronograph Rolex Explorer I
    IWC Portuguese or Omega Speedmaster. Both timeless and classic.
    [​IMG]
    That's kind of hot. A little bit busier than I normally like, what with the 6 different hands flying around, but still very nice. How much does one of those puppies run?

20. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

Bought today...new addition to the family:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.