Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I'll second the Stowa suggestion, especially their pilot versions.

2. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I would also strongly recommend Stowa at that price point. I have a Stowa Marine and it's a beautiful watch. Tough, too.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Question for the Rolex experts - just took delivery of a U-serial 16600 with a T<25 dial. Placed it under my iphone flashlight, and was surprised to see it glow brightly after a minute or two.

I've seen posts indicating that the light might just be activating the phosphorescent paint. Gave the watch a minute or two of the flashlight and set it in the dark - significantly darker after 10 minutes, and fairly hard to see after 20 (compared to my ~3 year old Speedmaster that I'm using as a Superluminova control).

Would this suggest a tritium dial, or just an older luminova dial that's lost some of its staying power?

Pics to come...

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

If it has a T on the dial, then it has Tritium.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

This was my initial understanding, but I've seen it suggested that there are some T dials during the transition period (1998) that were luminova. The supposition being that Rolex had a few T dials left over when they started using luminova.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, they sell direct and depending on the model there can be waiting times. They normally say so on the site, and are very efficient on communication when you've ordered, too.

I think there was a backlog at one point while they switched to different movements, but they were always very communicative. Mine took a month or something, I think.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.