The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Domed crystal front AND back.

[​IMG]

Lovely - great buy!

2. Singular

Singular Senior member

Just got home from Basel...

[​IMG]

/M

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

/M

Did you see the new Sub Date and Explorer? I like the Sub, but the polished numerals on the Explorer bug the hell out of me. I'm hoping that on some off chance they change them before the final release.

4. Singular

Singular Senior member

Did you see the new Sub Date and Explorer? I like the Sub, but the polished numerals on the Explorer bug the hell out of me. I'm hoping that on some off chance they change them before the final release.

I played around with both of them in a meeting with Rolex. Both are very nice (but one can of course have opinions on the green Sub...) and well-built. The Explorer looks good even with the polished numerals, what I would have wished for is larger hands.

/M

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The shorter minute hand on the new Explorer doesn't bother me as much. I like it, any word on how much it will retail in USD? I've read in UK it will be £3,580 including 17.5% VAT.

6. Singular

Singular Senior member

Expect a slight increase (10%).

/M

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

^^^ Wow. That's gorgeous. The condition is unreal. Re-dial?

I know zilch about watches. What does "re-dial" refer to? Meaning an alternate to the standard issue?

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

/M

Any pics? What watches excited you most?

9. chas

chas Senior member

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Perfection

It is beautiful, I quite agree.

11. Singular

Singular Senior member

I know zilch about watches. What does "re-dial" refer to? Meaning an alternate to the standard issue?

Re-dial means that the dial has been restored/repainted

Any pics? What watches excited you most?

Pics will come. I loved Linde Werdelin's watches, the new Swedish Halda watch, Breitling's new Superocean will be a success, PP 5170 was of course a killer, Corum had a few nice novelties, THC/ExpI/Submariner were of course cool, Longines had a number of truly affordable watches with a classy vintage look, Chopard's 150th anniversary line was mindblowing...

Lots of impressions.

/M

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Re-dial means that the dial has been restored/repainted

Pics will come. I loved Linde Werdelin's watches, the new Swedish Halda watch, Breitling's new Superocean will be a success, PP 5170 was of course a killer, Corum had a few nice novelties, THC/ExpI/Submariner were of course cool, Longines had a number of truly affordable watches with a classy vintage look, Chopard's 150th anniversary line was mindblowing...

Lots of impressions.

/M

I've seen pics of the PP 5170 among others posted on Timezone. It looks terrific. Looking forward to your pics.

13. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    I've seen pics of the PP 5170 among others posted on Timezone. It looks terrific. Looking forward to your pics.

The PP 5170 is a wonderful watch except for the curved writing, which unbalances the dial.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Lots of impressions.

/M

thanks for the tip... I had to look it up at TZ.

+1 on the PP5170
    [​IMG]

but the superocean... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

btw... saw this in TZ, I like the geeky novelty of this even if its too gimmicky: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The 35th anniversary of their historic handshake is commemorated with the release of the OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Apollo-Soyuz “35th Anniversary” chronograph in a limited edition of 1975 watches. The dial has been created from a meteorite which survived its entry into our planet’s atmosphere and the high-speed impact with the terrestrial surface. The meteorite’s unusual structure is the result its very high temperature when it enters the Earth’s atmosphere, followed by a period of cooling. The dial is a single piece cut from the meteorite; accordingly, because no two pieces of the meteorite are exactly alike, each watch in this limited edition is absolutely unique. The black color of the meteorite dial is the result of a surface oxidation process. The silvery seconds dial and chronograph counters appear in the meteorite’s natural color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.