The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Omega Seamaster Automatic Calendar 1957

A good find. The watch looks great.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Finally, I can lay claim to being an owner of this after losing a previous bid on eBay.

[​IMG]

Gorgeous

3. Singular

Singular Senior member

i think the seiko 5 is one of the best value watches around.
    singular i love that speedy, what model is it? its the only variant that i prefer to the moonwatch.
    looks great on the bracelet too, you had it on leather before didnt you? is the bracelet a 1171?

It's, as mentioned, the Schumacher "Legend" LE. Yes, I used it on both small- and big-holed racing straps and various "Bund" type straps. The bracelet is a 1171.

i like that white faced speedmaster singular. is it vintage? hopefully not so i can buy one easily.

No, technically not vintage but a LE from 2005ish.

/M

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's, as mentioned, the Schumacher "Legend" LE. Yes, I used it on both small- and big-holed racing straps and various "Bund" type straps. The bracelet is a 1171.

No, technically not vintage but a LE from 2005ish.

/M

Zeetan at collectorstime.com has one from 2003 listed for sale.

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG]

Congrats. Stunning.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Basel is here and I know there are a lot of Rolex hate here but I was really hyped for the new Explorer I and my dream has come true, the new Explorer I now comes in a 39mm case but the draw back is they took the lume out of the 3-6-9 indexes. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] Still considering it in the future though. At least no polished center links.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Well, to be fair, the 3-6-9 numerals on the current Explorer aren't luminescent, either--they're just painted white. That irked a lot of people because the other markers are luminescent. The new, non-painted numerals must be Rolex's "solution" to the problem. I don't like them. The watch was alright getting too flashy with the white gold surrounds and now there's even more bling.

Overall, I think the current Explorer looks better. The new 39mm case comes with a thicker bezel, which makes the watch look a lot less elegant and a lot chunkier. Blegh.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Also the new Submariners with a ceramic bezel.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well, to be fair, the 3-6-9 numerals on the current Explorer aren't luminescent, either--they're just painted white. That irked a lot of people because the other markers are luminescent. The new, non-painted numerals must be Rolex's "solution" to the problem. I don't like them. The watch was alright getting too flashy with the white gold surrounds and now there's even more bling.

Overall, I think the current Explorer looks better. The new 39mm case comes with a thicker bezel, which makes the watch look a lot less elegant and a lot chunkier. Blegh.

I guess I was just hoping they'd put a lume on the 3-6-9 like on the Air King.

10. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

First time posting on this thread. Here's my daily beater that I've had for about 10 years. Originally came on a black leather strap that I replaced last year with an aftermarket Hadley Roma stainless steel bracelet: [​IMG]

11. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

its been commented on tz that the hands on the new explorer seem much too small for the bigger face. i have to agree that the balance seems a little off now. the face before was absolutely beautiful, but i must agree at 36mm the watch wears a little small for me.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

its been commented on tz that the hands on the new explorer seem much too small for the bigger face. i have to agree that the balance seems a little off now. the face before was absolutely beautiful, but i must agree at 36mm the watch wears a little small for me.

The minute hands don't reach the minute markers--that's a big no-no.

13. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I was hoping the new Explorer would look better with the 39mm case, but it does look off. I like the older size more, it looks more balanced. It is too bad it looks that way, it will now not be the watch to add to my collection. I think I will just stick with a blue dailed oyster perpetual., that should fill in the space I want in my daily wear watches.

14. dunkin

dunkin Senior member

ha it does look like rolex cheaped out and is trying to use old stock parts on a new face.....

15. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Agree 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.