1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The correct name is Dornbluth. They have released this year 35mm watches. They are intended for ladies, but the design is almost the same.

They don't look big once you use them. Is not a classic watch in terms of size (I wouldn't wear it in a wedding) but for everyday work with suit in the office is great.

In my blog you can find some pictures of mine, I reviewed it a few days ago.

The 34mm might be worth a look. Normally, 35-36mm is about adequate, and for my large wrist, 37-38mm even better. 40mm is OK for a Rolex-type thing, but seems very nearly too big on a white dress watch my wife gave me.

2. faketrain

faketrain Senior member

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

The correct name is Dornblüth...

/M

True. But Gramm is also right - when you can't put in the umlaut, you must add an "e". That's why Glashutte Original's website is spelt differently as well.

The only guy who put forward an incorrect spelling was economiayocio.

4. Singular

Singular Senior member

True. But Gramm is also right - when you can't put in the umlaut, you must add an "e". That's why Glashutte Original's website is spelt differently as well.

Exactly - that's my point... [​IMG]

/M

5. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

That liquidmetal PO is sick.

Thanks. I haven't took it off in all week, although my collection is quite big.

6. economiayocio

You are right. The website in fact is: http://www.dornblueth.com/

7. economiayocio

My search for a new Mark XV finally paid off; picked this up today after a three month wait:

[​IMG]

The book was a gift from my AD [​IMG]

Great watch. You can wear it for everything.

For really sport matters, I have this version, I will use it this weekend:

[​IMG]

8. Singular

Singular Senior member

9. Sander

Sander Senior member

Btw, what does NATO (strap) stand for? Something with Nylon I guess...

10. economiayocio

11. Sander

Sander Senior member

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.
    Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    congratulations on the mk xv, its beautiful. i passed on one of these a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since
    great watch
    Great watch. You can wear it for everything.

Thanks, guys [​IMG]

13. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch. [​IMG]

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch.

[​IMG]

Nice dial.

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    +1
    [​IMG]
    Lovely.
    Not a wristwatch, but a lovely 30s Art Deco travel clock by Jaeger LeCoultre. 8 days power reserve.

That is really nice.

16. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

Here's a Minerva Palladio S. It has a two time zones and a chronograph. The model was part of a rare group redialed at the factory shortly before they stopped production. It's one of three black-dialed Minervas in my modest little stable. Again, sorry for the picture quality. [​IMG]

17. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

what happened to minerva? do they still make watches? i used to think they were like zenith in that they were good value but haven't seen one in a long time.

18. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.

Regards.

NICE AVATAR...

REGARDS

19. tacobender

tacobender Senior member

long story short type deal here: A friend of mine sold his rolex on ebay- and got scammed by a fake check, I feel terrible about it and as I have a few watches have decided to give him my old Gucci watch that I bought when i got my associates degree. The watch isn't worth as much to me as I have gone to by better watches with other degrees, I realize my 800 dollar gucci is not the same as his GMT2, but I am sure he is super appreciative. So, once I got on the I am going to be a nice guy kick, I got to thinking...

Here is where you come in. My dad wears a casio watch and I finally have some money to buy him a nice one. I bought him a nice hermes watch a few years ago on an ostrich band that he wont wear because its too dressy. Keep in mind if my dad finds out what I am planning to spend he absolutely will return this watch much like Jerry Sienfelds dad refused to keep the caddy that Jerry purchased for him....

I want a painless transaction. Do I go to Jared Jewelers and just pick up a Baume and Mercier Riveria, an Omega seamaster, Tag Monaco? He is a huge steve mcqueen fan and I think he may get a kick out of that. If I am going to an AD, what can i expect by way of discounts? 10-15-20-25 percent?

I think Cartier/Rolex would be too much for him, he wouldnt appreciate them, like them or the cost, and probably never wear it. I might get him a Citizen Eco drive on the basis of I think he might like telling people its powered by light, and he may actually wear it. Either way, what can I get him at a chain store hassle free, that would be nice, last him a long time, and be very wearable be it sporty or dressy.

20. gyalos

gyalos Senior member

nothing much here I guess, but still a beloved piece
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.