Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent. [​IMG] This one ain't bad. [​IMG] This one is very nice. My own small-timer post - Carrera Twin-time and an Oris XXL Worldtimer. Currently looking for an 1808 chrono-matic as shown above or perhaps a 1045 Omega Speedmaster. [​IMG]
    Two tasteful Tag Heuers in one thread. Is the thread long enough, I wonder.

2. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

DVICE NEEDED: Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value?? I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys. Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent.

I'm also a fan of the vintage Breitlings.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

ADVICE NEEDED:

Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value??

I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys.

Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Um wow.

6. mafoofan

Um wow.
    If only you were cool with collecting watches, you could get one for yourself . . .

7. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

the guy is trustworthy, but he is a salesman (takes on to know one [​IMG] ) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

the guy is trustworthy, but he is a salesman (takes on to know one [​IMG] ) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!? [​IMG]

9. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Too much I think lol. I can't disclose the price yet, Cause I haven't got a solid answer about it. Were kicking each others tires righb now. I did just buy a watch but this would be a clock for the office [​IMG]
    How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!? [​IMG]

10. mafoofan

I was just answering your question about whether it's a legitimate IWC movement. I have no idea what its value is.

11. Alfa

Alfa Senior member

those Carreras are sweet! What do they go for, if you don't mind me asking?

Full disclosure - The black with white subdial carrera is not mine, I pulled it from an excellent article by the late, great Chuck Maddox. This article was what first got me bitten by the watch bug and especially the designs that were so prevalent in the 1960's: http://chronomaddox.com/heuer/articl...a_article.html

I used to monitor eBay quite a bit for vintage carreras and the prices vary wildly as do the levels of intact authenticity. Costs are between 2-4k I would say, but that specific dial and color configuration I have only seen once. The one thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is the 35-36mm dial size. I know I need at least a 39 for my wrist.

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

You kidding me? Look at the Midi 04.0 in Rose Gold:

That is super nice!

13. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

I was just answering your question about whether it's a legitimate IWC movement. I have no idea what its value is.

Gotcha. I prolly wasn't clear. I was just wondering if it was IWC's own movement as opposed to Unitas, etc.

But I do appreciate teh response!

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

ADVICE NEEDED:

Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value??

I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys.

Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement?

You'll kick yourself if you let that go.

15. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Just got this yesterday:

[​IMG]

myke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.