1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This makes me cry a little. Zenith is one of my favorite brands. How long ago were these prices?

Before 1999

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Those outside of the fashion industry call anyone who is "into fashion" or "wearing crazy clothing" as being a fashionista.

Those inside of the fashion industry view the term "fashionista" as being more equated to a label whore or someone who tries (well, some might actually live it) to portray a lifestyle of luxury/glamour/taste. Think the FIT student who runs around with a monogram Gucci tote, Dior aviators and runs around to the main designer boutiques to buy a tshirt or sneakers here and there. Their myspace or AIM name will probably have the word "couture" in it.

Indeed, my understanding of the term was that of the latter explanation, not the former. Why do you care what anyone else thinks about your style of dress? As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Jon.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Please tell me that you wrote this to be ironic, fashionista boy.

How so?

Indeed, my understanding of the term was that of the latter explanation, not the former. Why do you care what anyone else thinks about your style of dress? As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Jon.

There is a different between caring what someone thinks about how you dress and correcting someone when they label you as a term that you do not like (fashionista is morethan just a style of dress; but, also a sad mentality).

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

There is a different between caring what someone thinks about how you dress and correcting someone when they label you as a term that you do not like (fashionista is morethan just a style of dress; but, also a sad mentality).

I see where you are coming from, but it all depends how the other person defines the terms of "˜fashionista' and whether you care or not if they call you that.

It's like TB, just because I don't like the style, it doesn't mean you will stop wearing it, or that you even care what I think about the style.

Jon.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Those outside of the fashion industry call anyone who is "into fashion" or "wearing crazy clothing" as being a fashionista.

Those inside of the fashion industry view the term "fashionista" as being more equated to a label whore or someone who tries (well, some might actually live it) to portray a lifestyle of luxury/glamour/taste. Think the FIT student who runs around with a monogram Gucci tote, Dior aviators and runs around to the main designer boutiques to buy a tshirt or sneakers here and there. Their myspace or AIM name will probably have the word "couture" in it.

The irony in this post has given me a headache.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Those Dior watches should be responded to with "Eww gross" in a Cartman voice.

7. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those Dior watches should be responded to with "Eww gross" in a Cartman voice.
    Please don't let on you watch South Park. It spoils your mythos.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Please don't let on you watch South Park. It spoils your mythos.

It's Post Modernist. South Park on a '50s TV with a zebra skin strewn on the set.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Uhhh 6'2" 180 not really hairy, not a bear, not even a cub or an otter or a wolf.
    I didn't realize you were a furry.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Am I a bad man or just into some kinky shit? I really, really want this. [​IMG] 1/4 diamond bezel? [​IMG]
    Kinky is not this. Kinky is not pre-packaged logo dross with a Red Spot; but it is Shit. Kinky is being whipped with a pleated snakeskin whip in a '70s Mercedes and being watched by women in YSL Le Smokings and monocles.

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Watch sale on eBay that has gone wrong:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019

Seller: "it's a mouse pad!!!

I've got one of those (with a 'Richard Lange' pictured) which was given to me during factory visit in Glashütte.
    Do you think, it would fetch the same kind of money?

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Kinky is being whipped with a pleated snakeskin whip in a '70s Mercedes and being watched by women in YSL Le Smokings and monocles.

What an intricate life you must lead, tell me out of sheer curiosity, is this from personal experience?

Jon.

13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've got one of those (with a 'Richard Lange' pictured) which was given to me during factory visit in Glashütte.

Reminds me of one auction many years ago of a beautiful Patek Chrono (4140 or something, I always forget the PP model numbers), the auction went on for paragraphs about Patek's history, the intricate chrono mov't, etc etc. The last line of the verbage, about 5-6 long paragraphs in, was something to the effect of "this auction is only for a picture of the Patek Chrono" [​IMG]

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

15. Yaz

Yaz Senior member

This is what I currently have (camera broken - have to use stock photos)

Omega Railmaster, 42mm

[​IMG]

Anonimo Militare yellow dial

[​IMG]

On my wish list:

JLC Master Hometime

[​IMG]

IWC Aquatimer

[​IMG]

16. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Nice Yaz...I have to say I'm not a fan of Omegas...but that is one model I like!

also love the anonimo

17. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Holy shit....

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like your collection - except for that Anonimo. what were you thinking? [​IMG]

19. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Reminds me of one auction many years ago of a beautiful Patek Chrono (4140 or something, I always forget the PP model numbers), the auction went on for paragraphs about Patek's history, the intricate chrono mov't, etc etc. The last line of the verbage, about 5-6 long paragraphs in, was something to the effect of "this auction is only for a picture of the Patek Chrono" [​IMG]

Sure, but here the word mousepad is clearly printed in very large letters many times. True, this seller may still have been trying to pull something (and pull something he did), but still, if someone's stupid enough to bid on this auction -- complete with crappy mousepad picture -- then he's just...well...stupid.

It would be interesting to see if the seller actually collects his money....

20. Yaz

Yaz Senior member

Nice Yaz...I have to say I'm not a fan of Omegas...but that is one model I like!

also love the anonimo

Thank you!

I like your collection - except for that Anonimo. what were you thinking? [​IMG]

I agree the Anonimo is a bit of an acquired taste, but I wanted something a little different than the usual black/white/silver dial. Its offbeat and a little hard to match so I don't wear it much, but of all the watches I've had it gets the most attention and actually quite a few compliments as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.