1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSeca

LSeca Distinguished Member

This is such a great thread, but it is making me want a new watch very badly. Right now, I only have a ss sub (gifted to me) and a tudor chrono. I have never liked Panerai until learning about them here, I think I will try to get one before year's end.

2. Torque

Torque Member

It is not the same price class then most watches shown here, but my favourite one - Stowa Marine Original

[​IMG]

As you see I'm really bad at taking pictures, as is my 5 year old camera, so I'm resorting to others with better skills to show off her beauty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unitas 6498 with slight modifications

[​IMG]
    One of the original Stowa German Navy ship watches this watch was modelled after.

3. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior Member

4. PeasantLLC

PeasantLLC Senior Member

5. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Senior Member

I've seen that fortis watch somewhere in my house. Don't know where I got it from. Probably from grandfather of mine. Never worn the watch though. Isn't there supposed to be a gold bracelet on the watch instead of the leather strap?

6. PeasantLLC

PeasantLLC Senior Member

I received the watch from my grandfather too--I have never seen this style with a gold bracelet though. the watch is great looking but i dont believe it has any monetary value.

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

On Ebay: What a dreadnought! * Diameter of the watch: 51 mm * Diameter of the case with crown: 56.5 mm * Diameter of the dial: 43.5 mm * Thickness: 20 mm * Band size: 20 mm The originality of this is dodgy, to say the least, but it's still a damned imposing watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The Ukrainian seller seems to have come upon a huge stash of used wristwatches and movements, many of German origin. Looks like some state watch repair shop sold out, or something like it.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I have seen a lot of those recased pocket-watch movement wrist-watches from the former USSR.

Probably artifacts from pre-revolutionary Russia made into something vaguely useful.

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

I have seen a lot of those recased pocket-watch movement wrist-watches from the former USSR. Probably artifacts from pre-revolutionary Russia made into something vaguely useful.
    Exactly - the case is new, or at least very secondary, and of uncertain quality, the condition is an uncertain factor, and so, the price is far too high - but what a look, all the same.

10. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Unfortunately, unlike high end shoes and suits, you can't get great watches for 90% off retail. So I wear these most of the time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nice Stowa Andrew. You're right that you cannot unfortunately buy watches at 90% off retail - I guess the flipside is that you don't have to sell your used watches for 95% off retail or drop them off at the thrift store (the item doesn't wear down and the value doesn't depreciate as fast as for shoes and clothes [​IMG])

12. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Good point...

13. gvibes

gvibes Senior Member

This is what I have - I like it a lot, for the price ($220 new) [​IMG] I would prefer something similar without the day-date but beggers can't be choosers. Those Dornbluth's are almost affordable enough for me to consider. I want a 99.1 (with the seconds at the six), like: [​IMG] EDIT: That Stowa Marine looks pretty sexy, especially considering the price. I'm not sure I could deal with hand-wound, however, and the Marine Auto has the date at the six.

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

That Dornbluth is very beautiful. [​IMG]

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do it man! Not only are the watches wonderful but Dirk's customer service cannot be compared to a "normal" watch company. He goes to extra length to make sure you're happy with your watch and his service. I have had mine for years and it has been out of warranty for 2 or 3 years now. He recentlly serviced the watch completely, refinished the case, changed the crown and sent it back to me with a box of chocolates and did not charge me a dime. Simply incredible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.