1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artoftime

artoftime Senior Member

[​IMG]

/M

Elegant classic understated [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Elegant classic understated [​IMG] [​IMG]

Agreed. Hard to believe Those words can be in the same sentence as Audemars Piguet [​IMG]

3. 599

599 Well-Known Member

VC Patrimony Traditionnelle Manuel
    [​IMG]

yes

4. guster

guster Senior Member

+1 on that yes to the VC

5. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

I'm happy that OP finally came out with a 42mm of the Radiomir - it's such a perfect case and dial design but the 45mm size can't work for everyone's wrist.

I'm bothered by the position and proportions of the seconds subdial so I'm eagerly awaiting the base version of that one.

yes, and afaik the case is thinner than the old radiomirs too.

the subdial, it is a throwback to the original subdial position, yes?

6. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior Member

have to agree with this- finally got the explorer but have grown a little disenchanted with it. its to do with the size and lack of, for want of a better word, solidity. i had got used to wearing the speedmaster and that does feel like a lot more watch, the whole construction feels better, the rolex is almost tinny by comparison. the explorer is still a good watch but not worth the money when you consider the other options out there IMO.

All understandable comments. I agree that the price is a joke. For a stamped bracelet clasp??? Pfffttt. Still, it grew on me. I wear it more than my Speedy.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

yes, and afaik the case is thinner than the old radiomirs too.

the subdial, it is a throwback to the original subdial position, yes?

Not really - there were no vintage PAMs with the Radiomir cushion case with seconds hand but the vintage Panerai (6152, Egiziano) with seconds subdials always had it next to the 9, not eating it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then in the Vendome era, the first Radiomir with seconds dial was introduced (PAM 62) and it kept the 9 on the dial as well:

[​IMG]

The Luminor cased modern PAMs (pre and post-Vendome) opted for a seconds subdial that was very harmoniously placed all the way instead of the 9 and keeping the balance of the dial pretty well. I like the Marina dial:

[​IMG]

Things started to go weird about the seconds dial placement with the new Radiomir line started with PAM 183 and especially PAM 190. Now the subdial was placed in an awkward place that looks IMO out of balance. That's why I never bought the 190 although I thought it was the watch I had been waiting for for a long time

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are generally due to the case size vs. movement layout and the position of the seconds wheel and pinion on the movement. IMO, OP has been lazy and could have modified the movements (only takes 2 tiny wheels) to preserve the original aesthetics of the dial.

I much prefer the seconds subdial on the PAM 62 above.

8. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Then in the Vendome era, the first Radiomir with seconds dial was introduced (PAM 62) and it kept the 9 on the dial as well:

[​IMG]

I much prefer the seconds subdial on the PAM 62 above.

The 62 is probably the favorite of my PAMs now, but I hesitated when I first got it because of the seconds subdial placement. It grew on me.

9. gdl203

The 62 is probably the favorite of my PAMs now, but I hesitated when I first got it because of the seconds subdial placement. It grew on me.

Yes - it's a very nice watch. Not a huge fan of having the date there but I guess it's OK. I have been hoping for a long time for a version of the 62 in steel w/o date and in 42mm. I think we may be getting close with the new Radiomirs - but not close enough yet.

Another thing I've been waiting for a while is a very simple uncomplicated version of the PAM127 in a 44mm case. I would get that

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

The Luminor cased modern PAMs (pre and post-Vendome) opted for a seconds subdial that was very harmoniously placed all the way instead of the 9 and keeping the balance of the dial pretty well.

I agree and I think that the subdial helps balance the large crown protector on a Luminor.

On a Radiomir with it's smaller crown I much prefer a base dial.

Btw, sometimes when I look at my 177 I dislike the difference between the white seconds hand and the black hour and minutes hands and I have considered changing them all to the metal hands they use on the automatic models.

Thoughts?

11. gdl203

I wouldn't do it personally. I'm like the black hands. If it really bothers you you can have the seconds hand painted by Jack at IWW or some other mod guy. I think it will look bad but that can be done.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

If it really bothers you you can have the seconds hand painted by Jack at IWW or some other mod guy. I think it will look bad but that can be done.
    No, I wouldn't do that (if the seconds hand was black it would almost disappear).

As it only annoys me sometimes, I'm not sure I'll do anything about it. I checked with my local AD and they could sell me the new hands and do the swap for about $100, which was cheaper than I had expected.

AFAIK, the (white) metal hands are all shiny, so they might clash with my ti (but then they use these on the automatic ti modesl, so it may not be an issue).

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

13. jays978

jays978 Senior Member

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DEALING AND CAN I GET IN ON IT?! [​IMG]

My minuscule contribution:

[​IMG]

I've been wanting to get a nice watch with alligator strap in black or brown in the realms of $1000 (actual price not retail). Any advice?

14. Singular

Singular Senior Member

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Stunning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.