Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

To offer a dissenting opinion, I absolutely love Breguet. I go to the boutique often to drool. The one thing that I don't like about their design is that many (most?) of their models do not have seconds hands. Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds, and that's a real shame, because the Breguets are beautiful.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds
    Why not? Do you suffer from a mild form of ADD? (not trying to be offensive, genuine question)

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

No - just like looking down at the watch and seeing movement. It just gives me a lot of pleasure- to see the mechanics working.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I am strangely tempted by the Speake-Marin Shimoda which has only an hours hand.

5. gdl203

I am strangely tempted by the Speake-Marin Shimoda which has only an hours hand.
    I have a cheapo Meistersinger Z1 like that. The ultimate zen watch...
    [​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I honestly have had my credit card in my hand half a dozen times to buy Breguet's regulator, but have stopped short because no second hand.

Although I love Breguet's styling and am impressed with some of their newer movements and complications, I still consider them more jewelry-y than haute horology like Patek.

Matt - I think "leap hours" are pretty cool too.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I am a huge fan of Lange but I have a special love for the ones with incredibly intricate movement structure and decoration (i.e. not the automatic ones), especially the Datograph and Double-Split Chrono. For anyone who has not done this, please stop by your Lange watch dealer and look through the caseback of a double-split Lange - it is the most mesmerizing thing - it feels like you're looking through 10 inches deep of slices and plates.... Spectacular sight [​IMG]

+1

The Datograph is my never-expect-it-to-happen grail.

I like the Meistersinger. Last year, I came really close to pulling the trigger on the version with the silver dial and blued indices.

To offer a dissenting opinion, I absolutely love Breguet. I go to the boutique often to drool. The one thing that I don't like about their design is that many (most?) of their models do not have seconds hands. Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds, and that's a real shame, because the Breguets are beautiful.

I also like the classic Breguet models. They're a little too antique-looking (the coined edge in particular) to be in my immediate future but they're definitely oogle-worthy.

There is something nice about watching a second hand smoothly flowing around the dial.

8. gdl203

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the watch I will get when someone offers to buy me a watch. I saw it at Wempe when I was looking to buy a new watch (I was deciding between it and the JLC ultrathin) and I went home to think it over. Then the spirit that was urging me to buy a watch departed. [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I have a cheapo Meistersinger Z1 like that. The ultimate zen watch...
    [​IMG]

Cool watch but I wonder if it is detailed enough for my analytical nature. I might miss that minute hand. [​IMG]

11. Artisan Fan

My Tiffany watch looks a bit like style wise that but has no where near the quality. It's a beautiful piece.

12. gdl203

Wearing this puppy today. Just came back from service in Germany and looks brand spanking new [​IMG]

[​IMG]\\
    [​IMG]
    (sorry - stock photos, not mine)

13. Artisan Fan

gdl,

That movement is almost as pretty as a Rolex 3135. [​IMG]

14. gdl203

gdl,

That movement is almost as pretty as a Rolex 3135. [​IMG]

yep - a little bit of red paint here and there and it would be perfect [​IMG]

15. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.