The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

To offer a dissenting opinion, I absolutely love Breguet. I go to the boutique often to drool. The one thing that I don't like about their design is that many (most?) of their models do not have seconds hands. Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds, and that's a real shame, because the Breguets are beautiful.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds
    Why not? Do you suffer from a mild form of ADD? (not trying to be offensive, genuine question)

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

No - just like looking down at the watch and seeing movement. It just gives me a lot of pleasure- to see the mechanics working.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I am strangely tempted by the Speake-Marin Shimoda which has only an hours hand.

5. gdl203

I am strangely tempted by the Speake-Marin Shimoda which has only an hours hand.
    I have a cheapo Meistersinger Z1 like that. The ultimate zen watch...
    [​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I honestly have had my credit card in my hand half a dozen times to buy Breguet's regulator, but have stopped short because no second hand.

Although I love Breguet's styling and am impressed with some of their newer movements and complications, I still consider them more jewelry-y than haute horology like Patek.

Matt - I think "leap hours" are pretty cool too.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I am a huge fan of Lange but I have a special love for the ones with incredibly intricate movement structure and decoration (i.e. not the automatic ones), especially the Datograph and Double-Split Chrono. For anyone who has not done this, please stop by your Lange watch dealer and look through the caseback of a double-split Lange - it is the most mesmerizing thing - it feels like you're looking through 10 inches deep of slices and plates.... Spectacular sight [​IMG]

+1

The Datograph is my never-expect-it-to-happen grail.

I like the Meistersinger. Last year, I came really close to pulling the trigger on the version with the silver dial and blued indices.

To offer a dissenting opinion, I absolutely love Breguet. I go to the boutique often to drool. The one thing that I don't like about their design is that many (most?) of their models do not have seconds hands. Generally speaking I won't buy a watch with seconds, and that's a real shame, because the Breguets are beautiful.

I also like the classic Breguet models. They're a little too antique-looking (the coined edge in particular) to be in my immediate future but they're definitely oogle-worthy.

There is something nice about watching a second hand smoothly flowing around the dial.

8. gdl203

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the watch I will get when someone offers to buy me a watch. I saw it at Wempe when I was looking to buy a new watch (I was deciding between it and the JLC ultrathin) and I went home to think it over. Then the spirit that was urging me to buy a watch departed. [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I have a cheapo Meistersinger Z1 like that. The ultimate zen watch...
    [​IMG]

Cool watch but I wonder if it is detailed enough for my analytical nature. I might miss that minute hand. [​IMG]

11. Artisan Fan

My Tiffany watch looks a bit like style wise that but has no where near the quality. It's a beautiful piece.

12. gdl203

Wearing this puppy today. Just came back from service in Germany and looks brand spanking new [​IMG]

[​IMG]\\
    [​IMG]
    (sorry - stock photos, not mine)

13. Artisan Fan

gdl,

That movement is almost as pretty as a Rolex 3135. [​IMG]

14. gdl203

gdl,

That movement is almost as pretty as a Rolex 3135. [​IMG]

yep - a little bit of red paint here and there and it would be perfect [​IMG]

15. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.