• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Hamilton bought from princeton watches equals or exceeds those qualities in that price range.

Equals, maybe, but I don't think exceeds. At least, not for me, and certainly not equal in price.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
I am not familiar with Hamilton but the first three watches I looked at were $500+. Is there a specific one you are referring to. CW seems to have quite a few models under $500.

Hamilton has many more expensive watches, but there are cheaper ones as well. All of these retail above $500, but can be found well below that even from AD channels as mentioned. They have all of the qualities you mention (sapphire crystal, swiss ETA movement), and IMO, look great as well. No knock against CW, as I haven't ever handled one and they look fine, but they are not unique.

HAM-SIDE-1.jpg

2558691021_a0fc2ca2ac.jpg

gmt-04.jpg

This Tissot is one of many other examples in the price range as well. Quite beautiful watch.

449px-TissotLeLocle.jpg

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My other vintage Omega, an eary 1950s Seamaster with a bumper wind movement.
4211029913_108509f972_o.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading a few complaints from CWs quality control and it has really turned me off from buying one. Here is one example and there seem to be plenty of other similar complaints.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...php?f=1&t=3192

Ok, let me tell you the tale of my epic dealings with CW

To make a super long story short(er):

My parents bought me a C5 malvern for Christmas 2008, ordered in november and arrived in january: Christmas gift deception for them. (My thinking, ok, they are swamped with orders, no big deal, even though my parents were really disappointed).

I then notice it is around +15secs and would love to get it better adjusted, but again, it's not that big a deal.

Later in March I order myself a C5 aviator with the 50 pound rebate that was offered. Watch comes in around june 2009.

Same thing with the watch, it seems fast...

Then I notice that it's not regulated: the little arm is all the way towards the minus sign. Which means it wasn't regulated at all or very very poorly.

Then I notice my regular C5 is the same way!

Then I notice a screw is missing from the back plate.... on not one but both watches!!!!!!!!

Ok... one could be oversight from QC... but two, ordered months apart... and both unregulated???? Very very odd.

I contact CW, they offer me to send them in or send me the screws and to get them regulated at a jeweler.

I send them in (they payed shipping, but I paid for the box)

Both come back... the regular C5 seems fine, regulated and with the back screw.

But the aviator is fine except it's covered in scratches!!!!!!!! Over the case, under the case and one the side of the case. The buckle was even scratched!!! My watch was mint when sent in and the packaging was perfect.

What the hell!

I write back and they ask me to send it back in and that they could buff it out or send me a new one... I naturally opt for the new replacement... it comes back with a new back plate, but still with scratches on the side and front!!! The accompanying correspondence said that the "whole case" was replaced by CW. What the hey!!!!????

I write back, send it back in, they pay the shipping, thankfully.

It comes back... and now it seems fine except I have this cheap looking sellita movement that is decidedly not equivalent to the well finished ETA mvt.

I am sad, dejected, and am seriously thinking CW is not all that and a bag of chips. I feel taken for a ride and ashamed for having believed all the hype. I was holding back writing about this on the forum for them to get a chance to make good on this... but it seems like a never-ending saga of disappointment.

There are way too many QC issues here to be back luck. I can understand a few errors slipping here and there, but two watches bought months apart, with similar and serious errors, and with the cascade of other issues and the apparent lies... I feel that this is too much.

To think I was thinking of getting another one just before I realized this unadorned Selitta crap...

Yes, their customer service is very friendly, but the company has deep issues for this to happen. It can't be a fluke. It just can't.

peezie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
A different take on it here:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=276

Yeah, regarding homages, here's the truth.

Nobody seeks out watches like this because of their unwavering interest in Italian Naval history. They want them because they look like Panerais. Paneristi (those that actually own PAMs) get a pass because they've made the brand investment. The rest purchase them because they look like the real deal. Only if pressed about the fakery will this "interesting" history about the homage actually coming closer to the real thing than the actual real thing come into play.

Tell the story enough times, and you probably could have made enough in that span to buy a real one.

It's highly pursued because it's an inexpensive alternative with a believable backstory; thereby making it (slightly) less embarrassing.

Just would like to add that I hate having to add this to such a great thread, but it dilutes the actual great watches shown and the passion for them to include such Chinese trash alongside.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by peezie
Yeah, regarding homages, here's the truth.

Nobody seeks out watches like this because of their unwavering interest in Italian Naval history. They want them because they look like Panerais. Paneristi (those that actually own PAMs) get a pass because they've made the brand investment. The rest purchase them because they look like the real deal. Only if pressed about the fakery will this "interesting" history about the homage actually coming closer to the real thing than the actual real thing come into play.

Tell the story enough times, and you probably could have made enough in that span to buy a real one.

It's highly pursued because it's an inexpensive alternative with a believable backstory; thereby making it (slightly) less embarrassing.

This.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
There seems to be some circle jerk action going on around here with them
Quite the understatement.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
One great looking Seiko auto diver coming up ...

Seiko_OwlEyes_even.jpg

This looks great. Obs' is nice, too.

Got to get over my incorrect assumptions about Seikos.

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Inbound Omega Chronostop, circa 1968, my first watch buy off watchuseek, my first Omega, and first collectible watch.

omega1-1.jpg

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
This looks great. Obs' is nice, too.

Got to get over my incorrect assumptions about Seikos.

Seiko is a force in the watchmaking industry. They make 10$ , 50$, 100$, 500$, 1000$, 5000$, 100,000$ watches (under sister-companies). And at each price point they are among the top in fit, finish, quality, history, originality.

Spirits
Premiers
GSs
Credors

their spring drives are the most accurate mechanical watch in existence (albeit its not fully-mechanical). grand seikos gave the swiss cosc a run for their money. they might be the *only* company that can claim to be 100% in-house -- not just in case production and movement, but actually in the screws and oils used in production.

few would argue that they arent , as a whole, the grandest watch company ever

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I've been reading a few complaints from CWs quality control and it has really turned me off from buying one. Here is one example and there seem to be plenty of other similar complaints.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...php?f=1&t=3192

Yes, but you'll find at least one such horror story from any company in the world, even the truly great watch companies. That's not indicative of the company as a whole or their watches. That proves nothing, in the end.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Yes, but you'll find at least one such horror story from any company in the world, even the truly great watch companies. That's not indicative of the company as a whole or their watches. That proves nothing, in the end.

Right. But more important is what they do after the defect was brought to their attention. Bad customer service = a ****** watch company, as far as I'm concerned.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but unless you've had those experiences yourself personally, you really can't say for sure. And I'm sure if I were to search hard enough online, I'd find at least one such story relating to Omega, Rolex and the rest of them. Are they all ****** watch companies then?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Yes, but unless you've had those experiences yourself personally, you really can't say for sure. And I'm sure if I were to search hard enough online, I'd find at least one such story relating to Omega, Rolex and the rest of them. Are they all ****** watch companies then?

If you're a little whiner, then probably yes. If we're all adults here, then one bad apple surely doesn't stink up the whole orchard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics