The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

One great looking Seiko auto diver coming up ...

[​IMG]

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Hamilton makes a fine watch. The Christopher Ward watches are well made, look great, but no one who knows watches will mistake them for Omega, TAG, etc. That said, Seiko were plastic fantastic years ago, now they get a lot of love around here. I was shocked at how many great looking Seiko auto divers are around. Maybe, my next purchase. Unless Chris makes one, of course! The two divers on his site are not my cup of tea.

Maybe not literally, but there are many watchmakers out there who consider them pretty close to those you mention, quality wise. Omega, TAG etc. are all fine quality watches, but a lot of their expense comes from their name and other factors as well.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Hamilton bought from princeton watches equals or exceeds those qualities in that price range.

Equals, maybe, but I don't think exceeds. At least, not for me, and certainly not equal in price.

4. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

I am not familiar with Hamilton but the first three watches I looked at were $500+. Is there a specific one you are referring to. CW seems to have quite a few models under $500.

Hamilton has many more expensive watches, but there are cheaper ones as well. All of these retail above $500, but can be found well below that even from AD channels as mentioned. They have all of the qualities you mention (sapphire crystal, swiss ETA movement), and IMO, look great as well. No knock against CW, as I haven't ever handled one and they look fine, but they are not unique.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Tissot is one of many other examples in the price range as well. Quite beautiful watch.

[​IMG]

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

My other vintage Omega, an eary 1950s Seamaster with a bumper wind movement. [​IMG]

6. furman90

furman90 Member

My other vintage Omega, an eary 1950s Seamaster with a bumper wind movement.

[​IMG]

Beautiful watch

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I've been reading a few complaints from CWs quality control and it has really turned me off from buying one. Here is one example and there seem to be plenty of other similar complaints.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...php?f=1&t=3192

8. peezie

peezie Senior member

A different take on it here:
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=276

Yeah, regarding homages, here's the truth.

Nobody seeks out watches like this because of their unwavering interest in Italian Naval history. They want them because they look like Panerais. Paneristi (those that actually own PAMs) get a pass because they've made the brand investment. The rest purchase them because they look like the real deal. Only if pressed about the fakery will this "interesting" history about the homage actually coming closer to the real thing than the actual real thing come into play.

Tell the story enough times, and you probably could have made enough in that span to buy a real one.

It's highly pursued because it's an inexpensive alternative with a believable backstory; thereby making it (slightly) less embarrassing.

Just would like to add that I hate having to add this to such a great thread, but it dilutes the actual great watches shown and the passion for them to include such Chinese trash alongside.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yeah, regarding homages, here's the truth.

Nobody seeks out watches like this because of their unwavering interest in Italian Naval history. They want them because they look like Panerais. Paneristi (those that actually own PAMs) get a pass because they've made the brand investment. The rest purchase them because they look like the real deal. Only if pressed about the fakery will this "interesting" history about the homage actually coming closer to the real thing than the actual real thing come into play.

Tell the story enough times, and you probably could have made enough in that span to buy a real one.

It's highly pursued because it's an inexpensive alternative with a believable backstory; thereby making it (slightly) less embarrassing.

This.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There seems to be some circle jerk action going on around here with them
    Quite the understatement.

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

One great looking Seiko auto diver coming up ...

[​IMG]

This looks great. Obs' is nice, too.

Got to get over my incorrect assumptions about Seikos.

12. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Senior member

Inbound Omega Chronostop, circa 1968, my first watch buy off watchuseek, my first Omega, and first collectible watch.

[​IMG]

13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

This looks great. Obs' is nice, too.

Got to get over my incorrect assumptions about Seikos.

Seiko is a force in the watchmaking industry. They make 10$ , 50$, 100$, 500$, 1000$, 5000$, 100,000$ watches (under sister-companies). And at each price point they are among the top in fit, finish, quality, history, originality.

Spirits
    Premiers
    GSs
    Credors

their spring drives are the most accurate mechanical watch in existence (albeit its not fully-mechanical). grand seikos gave the swiss cosc a run for their money. they might be the *only* company that can claim to be 100% in-house -- not just in case production and movement, but actually in the screws and oils used in production.

few would argue that they arent , as a whole, the grandest watch company ever

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've been reading a few complaints from CWs quality control and it has really turned me off from buying one. Here is one example and there seem to be plenty of other similar complaints.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...php?f=1&t=3192

Yes, but you'll find at least one such horror story from any company in the world, even the truly great watch companies. That's not indicative of the company as a whole or their watches. That proves nothing, in the end.

15. DNW

DNW Senior member

Yes, but you'll find at least one such horror story from any company in the world, even the truly great watch companies. That's not indicative of the company as a whole or their watches. That proves nothing, in the end.

Right. But more important is what they do after the defect was brought to their attention. Bad customer service = a shitty watch company, as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.