The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

sysdoc - the 5050 is my dream watch. IMO though I like the 5059 very much, it is too thick for a true "dress" watch for my tastes because of the officer case. I think that's a shame, becasue I'm really looking for a dress watch but also need a second hand in a watch - I like to see that movement - and the 5059/5159 is the only perptual in today's lineup with that second hand. Of course, the 5039 is beautiful, but neither the 5039 nor the 3940 has a second hand. They are thin and would be great dress watches, but they are just lacking that seconds hand. So for me, the 5050 was really perfect - perpetual, second hand, and thin. I wish they would make the 5050 style again, but for now they seem to be sticking with the officer case. I may just have to forget the seconds hand at get the 5039, because 5050 prices are going through the roof.
    I agree, zj. I missed out on the 5050 as well. I am telling myself that I am too young ... or I didn't get wealthy enough soon enough ... [​IMG]. Either way, today you'll have to trade in a Ferrari if you want one. What a shame![​IMG] Doesn't VC make a retrograde perpetual calendar with a second hand? Let me check ... ... dang! It's a beautiful watch, but no second hand ... [​IMG]

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

My humble vintage collection. From top left: Tissot 14 kt manual, LeCoultre 14 kt manual, Girard Perregaux 14 kt manual, Baum & Mercier SS manual, Longines SS manual; Bottom left: Lucien Piccard 14 kt Seashark Auto, LeCoultre SS bumper auto w/power reserve, Omega Seamaster Deville SS auto, IWC SS auto (temporarily holding for a friend who bought it from a Japanese seller)

Excuse my poor photographic skills.

[​IMG]

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Lower right hand corner - Seiko calculator watch? [​IMG]

5. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Senior member

I've sent my watchwinder back for repair. A month has passed and no word from them. Probably still in repair. Should have been back by now. Anyone else founded problems with their watchwinder?

6. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Limited Edition B.K.

[​IMG]

7. vvoc

vvoc Senior member

im looking to buy a tissot prc 200 T17.1.526.52 .... is $260ish a good price for this watch? it isnt an automatic but i like the style and i feel its a lot more versatile (worn casually and formally--relatively) but one problem, the face is listed as: case size 40mm and case width as 12mm...is the case of the watch too bulky, i dont want a dinnerplate on my wrist and i really have nothing to compare it to... too bulky? thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

If it isn't a camera phone, look for the macro setting -- usually symbolized with a little flower -- that way the field of focus can be closer to the lens.
    Thanks. Better? Could use with a wipe off.

[​IMG]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dramatic improvement in the pictures Matt !

10. CodeRed

CodeRed Senior member

I am surprised that there are so few pateks. I really like the GO's [​IMG] langes are pretty sweet too. I also like the vacheron's.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I thought you weren't too fond of the Swiss? Or is that just Swiss bankers? [​IMG]

13. sammy

sammy Senior member

What do you all think of A. Lange & Sohne? How does it compare to others like Patek, Breguet, and IWC? I really like the look of A. Lange & Sohne's Saxonia Automatik in pink gold.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

What do you all think of A. Lange & Sohne? How does it compare to others like Patek, Breguet, and IWC? I really like the look of A. Lange & Sohne's Saxonia Automatik in pink gold.
    This may or may not be a popular opinion, but other than being beautiful, Breguet has started to leave me a bit cold. Lange is the level of Patek.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This may or may not be a popular opinion, but other than being beautiful, Breguet has started to leave me a bit cold. Lange is the level of Patek.

[​IMG]
    I would sell my wife and parents for a Breguet No.5 but most of their wristwatches leave me cold too (I must admit La Tradition is an interesting watch but I cannot see myself actually wearing it).

I am a huge fan of Lange but I have a special love for the ones with incredibly intricate movement structure and decoration (i.e. not the automatic ones), especially the Datograph and Double-Split Chrono. For anyone who has not done this, please stop by your Lange watch dealer and look through the caseback of a double-split Lange - it is the most mesmerizing thing - it feels like you're looking through 10 inches deep of slices and plates.... Spectacular sight [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.