1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tor

tor Senior Member

I am going to speak Paneristi jargon now, but I am sure you are familiar with it.

Distressing recipe:

1) chlorine bath - 1 part pool chlorine to 8 parts water (over night)

2) salt water bath - I swam with the strap in the ocean daily for 3 months (when I was living in Aust)

3) light sand papering of the sides - very gentle to rough up the edges

It is now the softest strap I own and holds up very well to the distressing process.

Gaz

I mean, it looks nice, but couldn't you have just distressed it naturally by just actually wearing it a lot?

To me, going to such great lengths to distressing something like that reminds me a little too much of pre-distressed clothing, which I am not a fan of at all.

2. gazman70k

gazman70k Distinguished Member

^ Well done [​IMG]

I've looked into Dirk straps earlier but couldn't find an European supplier.

Btw, I'm pretty happy with this one from Manifatture Firenze. You could see a glimse of it on my 177 in a recent WAYWRN pic. It's great for the price.

Very nice!!! I like Manifatture Firenze. Go to Paneristi's accessories corner and you'll probably find one. Having said that, the one in the photo is a 1st generation dirk strap which is characterised by the sewn in Pre-V logo buckle. Dirks no long come with those buckles.

BTW, Dirk is located in Belgium. You can email him directly: dirk . grandry @ pandora . be (remove spaces).

3. erbs

erbs Senior Member

What's the advantage of an IWC Mark XVI over a Stowa Flieger? Movement? Resale value?

I like that the Stowa comes with the logo-less option and am having a hard time justifying the extra price for a IWC.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

^ Yeah, I remember reading that Dirk was in Belgium, but all my searching only let to US sources so thank you for the address.

I would have loved to get one of his straps with the pre Vendome buckles - oh, well.

5. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]

[​IMG] i'm a califran!

6. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior Member

44mm

The Nitpicker in Chief [​IMG]

PS: good choice on the Luminor Base, the OP catalog these days is quite sad

Errr duh, sorry for the misinformation. Brain fart (and thanks). I like the Sub a lot too. Does anyone here have the titanium 25?

(More) pics or it didn't happen!
    [​IMG]

7. gazman70k

gazman70k Distinguished Member

I mean, it looks nice, but couldn't you have just distressed it naturally by just actually wearing it a lot?

To me, going to such great lengths to distressing something like that reminds me a little too much of pre-distressed clothing, which I am not a fan of at all.

The original strap was a dark chocolate brown. The condition I wanted to achieve was that of the old straps on vintage Panerai. The distressing was achieved over a three month period with daily wear, so I think it was a good compromise between artificial and real distressing.

8. tor

tor Senior Member

The original strap was a dark chocolate brown. The condition I wanted to achieve was that of the old straps on vintage Panerai. The distressing was achieved over a three month period with daily wear, so I think it was a good compromise between artificial and real distressing.

Fair enough. Looks nice either way.

9. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

10. JasonHe

JasonHe Active Member

[​IMG] This is my watch dad gave it to me not too long ago. It's a Tissot Swiss Automatic, i have no idea which model it is. I really like it, its really simple and i wear it everyday. This is the only watch i have because i don't have enough money to buy a different one because im 16.

11. El_Enzo

El_Enzo New Member

my humble little collection [​IMG] clockwise from top left: Omega seamaster professional Vintage Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust Sinn U1 Automatik Glycine

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Distinguished Member

^ Nice - I'm thinking about a Sinn - how do you like it?
    Anyone know how it compares to a Zenith?

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Does anyone here have the titanium 25?
    I used to have a 25B a long time ago. It got lost in the watch shuffle...

14. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is that a Pilot V5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.