1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I like the mega-thread.

You can find out a great deal about many different watches and brands in this one thread. If the brands were split I would suppose that half a dozen would be frequently read and posted in and all the others would not be worth reading regularly because of lack of traffic. As someone not drawn to the highly advertised brands I still enjoy seeing them here and reading about the posters' new watches or grails and also reading knowledgeable criticism of design and craftsmanship.

To be honest I do not mind if the same question is asked more than once as a FAQ would be so long if all the regular topics were in it it would defeat its purpose. Besides which, if a FAQ does not present both sides of a topic such as GO Pano vs. Lange 1 it risks being one sided and definitive.

I have never understood the lurker phenomenon, if you have a question to ask - ask it.

1 person likes this.
  2. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

Having read only the last 1259 pages of this tread, it would be helpful to have a FAQ about discussing the discussion of this threads discourse. Ive been reading for some time but was too intimidated to ask but a special section on the metathread might clear things up and stop me wasting time searching for the appropriate way to discuss things in this discussion.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. apropos

apropos Senior member

Man, wow. Great watch.

4. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

So when's the new thread starting?

5. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Trusted checkout is an option for what are supposed to be "Trusted" dealers, the benifit being that your money is held in escrow by Chrono24 until the watch has arrived as described.

Quick update though. Sent the cancellation request after I posted yesterday. Chrono24 then contacted the dealer who agreed with my assessment of the situation, so Chrono24 canceled the transaction and requested my account info to refund my money. I sent the requested info this morning and apparently the transfer has already been initiated.

Went ahead and purchased the more "local" watch and will hopefully have it this weekend.

5 people like this.
  6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Glad it has worked out.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

TWATmeister, I have been given a deadline of the end of the week to provide a suitably fragrant FAQ intro. So I guess, then.

1 person likes this.
  8. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Looking forward, I'm sure you're doing an excellent job. [​IMG]

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I browse Chrono24 regularly, but when I am really digging into a watch I filter by US-based sellers only.

10. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Yes, same here but for EU. The deals aren't so great with 20% VAT on import!

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Question for the veterans: How open are most vendors of pre-owned watches to price negotiation, particularly when a watch has gone unsold for several months? What percentage below list should you start negotiations to get the best price without insulting the seller?

12. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Member

My own strategy is that i try to find comparable selling prices for that watch elsewhere - if i dont find those, then i ask myself what is the price that would be sufficient for me to go used, as opposed to just buying new. In general, 20-30% off typical *selling price* (not retail) price is what I try to go for - depending on how popular the watch is.

13. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Not a veteran, but... I think much depends on how keenly priced the item is to start with, relative to its peers on the site. The price variance for similar items can be quite large. My most recent purchase was at 90% of an already competitive asking price.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Thanks. I should clarify that the particular piece I have my eye on is a vintage watch with very few comps on Chrono24, eBay, or elsewhere (i.e., not a Sub or Speedy).

15. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Then perhaps you have more room for manoeuvre, because there is greater uncertainty as to its fair value...

16. jamesryan123

jamesryan123 Active Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a JLC ultra thin moon from 2012 with full box and papers for around £3300 or $4600. The watch requires a new strap but apart from that appears to be in perfectly good condition.

I know a new strap runs to around $300 or so. Would anyone be able to advise me of anything to be cautious of here with regards to this watch? It seems a pretty good deal given it is circa 50% of AD price, not considering any discount. Best discounted price I can find for new seems to be £5200 or so.

Much appreciated!

17. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

I always prefer to get an offer, even low. You never know. Sometimes I list things at way more than I'm actually willing to sell them at and sometimes I list at my bottom line -- just depends on the circumstances. Can't hurt to ask IMHO. The only thing that I expect is that someone not waste my time negotiating unless they're actually ready to do the deal.

18. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Just got this one in. It's an oldie but goodie. This was one of the breakthrough watches that Max Busser created with Peter Speake-Marin when he totally turned around Harry Winston. The case is a bit funky, but very elegant even at 40mm. Those lugs are articulating, and it's a SUPER heavy chunk of platinum. As technically indefensible as tourbillons are, I still can't help but love them

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

My favorite JLC just came up for sale, and it's a rare bird. :brick:

1 person likes this.
  20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wait, so, what's your choice - GO Pano or Lange 1?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.