• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

My patek 5711. My favourite watch of all the watches I've owned....

I can see why.

Big fan.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this one for awhile while looking for a something versatile. It beat out the exII I had in mind but I might still grab an ex1 to compliment it. I really needed something with a date function. I do think I prefer it on a strap though.

Also, I need to take better pictures.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That is one of the few (read only) Breitlings that I lust after. It looks great on a strap, but the OE mesh bracelet is the way I would go. You can always get one or two quality aftermarket straps for it for a change of pace.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really cared much for the Nautilus but I recently tried on a friends gold chronograph and was kinda smitten. Just when I thought I'd bought my last gold/bracelet watch........

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But does it qualify as a dress watch?

ypu4uzaj.jpg

Tried and True - I detested the Nautilus and spoke vigorously against it in the past. Then I tried the 5711 in the metal and on my wrist and, well, I fell in love with it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh, 5711, another that doesn't fit my wrist. Considered the 5800 but I think it might still be too big. Are the 3800s still being produced/sold new at ADs?

That Breitlings nice, one of the cleaner and less garish ones out there. With that said, I am not a big fan of that mesh bracelet, the way it it attached to the lugs just looks very aftermarket-ish. I like it when the bracelet are integrated well to the case and the gap in that style of bracelet just doesn't look right to me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, 5711, another that doesn't fit my wrist. Considered the 5800 but I think it might still be too big. Are the 3800s still being produced/sold new at ADs?
No, the 3800s have been out of production for several years. You would have to look for a pre-owned model.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I've been eyeing this one for awhile while looking for a something versatile. It beat out the exII I had in mind but I might still grab an ex1 to compliment it. I really needed something with a date function. I do think I prefer it on a strap though.

Also, I need to take better pictures.

A guy in my office has the "time only" Transocean....silver dial, with the crosshairs. I think it's 42mm.

To me, it looks pretty sharp, as an all-rounder sort of watch. He has only worn it on its original mesh, and he isn't really what I call a watch guy, so it will probably stay that way.

The Breitling bracelet definitely is more finished/polished looking than the brushed "shark mesh" that I got from StrapCode...but I definitely purchased that one as a sporty option.

Those straps in the link that Rooster posted look more than decent for the $$$.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How big is your wrist?! Mine is all of 6.25".

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine is 6".

I know the 5711 is ~43x38? The 5800 is ~38x33?

I think the 5711 is too big considering the my Monaco at 37x37 is borderline for my wrist. 5800 might work but it's lugs are more squared off, wish I could find one to try on in person.
15gro7p.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is 6".

I know the 5711 is ~43x38? The 5800 is ~38x33?

I think the 5711 is too big considering the my Monaco at 37x37 is borderline for my wrist. 5800 might work but it's lugs are more squared off, wish I could find one to try on in person.
You definitely need to try them on, as I believe both the 5711 and 5800 are both thinner than your Tag and wear very differently. Your Tag looks a bit boxy. Square watches tend to wear larger than other shapes, and the Nautilus isn't really a square. I don't have a large wrist and I can comfortably wear a 5711 or 5712. I had tried a 5800 on at one point and it felt seemed too small.

The 5711 if you don't count the "ears" is really only about 40 mm. Even Patek's own website described it as 40mm. I think to be at ~43 someone is measuring possibly on a diagonal and including lugs, or they are including the ears, which really do not affect the way it wears. So definitely go and try them all on before you make a decision, if that might be a future purchase.

Edit...just noticed you said your wrist was only 6", which then could make a 5711 feel too big based on where the lugs begin to drop downward and transition into the bracelet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics