1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

[​IMG]

Happy New Year

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    6 people like this.
  2. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Speedy Tuesday
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Nice Speedy, tchoy. One of these days I'm hoping to join that club.

As far as any thread re-organization issues, I'm for whatever Fok & his team feel is necessary to keep this thing active, vibrant, and above all ... functional.

In terms of the details, I think most would agree that this animal is at its best when we have that free-wheeling, stream of consciousness thing going.

This thread is like a river, and they say that you never truly jump into the same river twice. So I guess in a way, some of us are grabbing on to the random piece of driftwood, while others have some really, really nice houseboats LOL....you know who you are :happy:.

Personally, I would just like to see it as "TWAT 2.0" regardless of whatever title is assigned-- and would hope that we can all keep that type of party going. I'd rather not go down the path of sub-forums, etc. (If that idea's still on the table). Don't split it all up, please. There are other places for watch enthusiasts that already have that type of structure, and probably do it better anyway.

But I do think that an FAQ could be helpful for new/potential participants, and remember that all of us were "new" at one time. Fact is, I lurked around here like, forever before finally posting anything at all. And of course at the end of the day, this thing is only as good as its contributors. We really have some great ones already, and IMHO we should be looking to enlarge the tent.

So....back to business:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

While a FAQ could be helpful I don't know why people can't do the classy thing and just read all 1600+ pages before saying anything....

1 person likes this.
  5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The most frequently asked question here is: "What do you guys think of my/ this watch?".

FAQ post can't answer that.

1 person likes this.
  6. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Member

As a new guy, i cannot agree with the above enough. Those mega threads are great for regular posters who are here daily, but for those of us who log on a little less regularly, it is seriously intimidating. I want to ask some questions about Aldens - should i read all 10,000 posts to make sure my question wasnt asked? Should i start a new topic (but wait - the fact that most posts tend to go into existing threads implies that new threads are not to be started lightly)?

I am reasonably clued into how forums work, i even remember netiquette from the days of Usenet, and i think the posters here are really helpful/funny/snarky, but those mega-threads turned me away a few times before i joined.

Since this is a watch appreciation thread - here's one of mine.

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

^^ that GO is serious business! It must look equally wonderful on a brown gator strap!

1 person likes this.
  8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree. This forum is a different beast from what I am used to. No other forum I've participated in has these "mega threads". New topics are started for each topic/question. Things are a bit more searchable that way, but either method works for me.

9. SilchasRuin

SilchasRuin Member

Thanks!

I am not wild about brown straps, to be honest. They dont go well with my skin color (atleast I dont think they do). I have the blue nubuck strap (the other strap this watch comes with) on order, though: that's the more popular option, apparently (the version with the bracelet had to be special-ordered for me).

1 person likes this.
  10. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Nice Pano and welcome!

This thread is really a resource that you can use however you like but it shouldn't be intimidating... there's no test!

As for specific questions -- Search for your answer in past posts, if you can't reasonably find it or need further info then ask away! That balances the need to obtain info without having the same question asked 3 dozen times

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I've read through a few mega threads and really enjoyed it. Not only that, I was better off for it. That said, most people like instant gratification and asking all new people to read through all this isn't realistic. I still think it'd be beneficial, but that's a different argument.

I'd hope new posters would use the search tool more though.

2 people like this.
  12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

All of the people who state that they're willing to patiently read through a thread before participating have to realize that we are in the vast minority when it comes to the average forum user. I'd imagine that Fok is trying to balance the current thread participants (there must be tons of lurkers too) with the targeted wider audience. That could be people who don't read Styleforum yet, but find the thread through search or other forums - it could also be users who don't read this thread yet. For example, there are a handful of SW&D users who post here who don't look at any other threads in CM.

1 person likes this.
  13. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Obviously in the minority. It'd be silly to think otherwise. However, I can't emphasize how much I wish people would use the search function before jumping in to an established thread with a question so they can see if it has been discussed.

3 people like this.
  14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

The lament of all enthusiast forums unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The search isn't exactly user friendly for new users.

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

DLJr, I agree.
    However... I will take what jbarwick said and further it. Even for experienced users the search functionality isn't user friendly.

1 person likes this.
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'd agree, it's hardly even decent, but it does work. Just depends if you want to put in some work and see about finding an answer while potentially inconveniencing yourself or possibly asking a question for the 3rd time in the same thread and inconveniencing others. Shrug.

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've never minded the same question being asked over (within reason, of course). Just be friendly and answer it I always think. Even with an FAQ and a better search function, people are always going to come in and ask the same questions over and over from time to time. Like I said, we should just be friendly and try and answer if we can.

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

True it's not fantastic, but many people are just exceedingly lazy idiots. Why post a question and wait hours/days for an answer to something they could have googled in less time than typing the original question? Idiots.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.