• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
currently own a speedmaster. should i get the IWC portguese chronograph or Rolex Submariner next?

Of course the correct answer is "both". But you did add the caveat "next", so we'll take that as read. The Sub is the more classic, and I take the point that you already have a chrono, but my vote is for the Portuguese: you have a watch with a black dial, with an overtly sporty feel about it. The Portuguese Chronograph might technically be a sports watch, but in reality, if you're getting one of the white dial options, I think it flies as a dress watch really well - if rather ostentatiously. Get that. Then get the Sub. Either way, my cheap ass will respect and envy you.

With all the wildly impressive confections in your candy store, this simple little item is still a most satisfying gobstopper. The great photographs help, but you are really telling the story of why this is such a great watch. It just doesn't get old, does it?

Long shot here: Are there high quality Snuff Suede NATO straps?

Some-time visitor @Singular sells them. Also models them in this thread. He has a website.

@mimo my shoes toes ok?

You might well come to regret asking.

Yes, they are very nice. Although I suspect you might benefit from coming down one size and up one width. And personally, I think such an elegant last shape works better as an oxford than a derby: a derby brogue is very "country" in my eyes, and works best in a more solid and utilitarian shape (with a heavier welt and sole to match). But yes, nice toes.

However, short sleeved shirts are nasty. I know they're de rigeur in SE Asia, but this is Styleforum and cultural relativism is merely compromise. Also, is that a black belt with these brown shoes? That's a "no".

On the bright side, you're really selling that Black Bay. Nice job, brother.

P.S. Eid Mubarak. :)

Last edited:

jorijori

Reaction score
@mimo u da man! Seriously you got sharp eyes and you read my mind. The shoes (Magnanni Sergio) run long due to its elongated shape. And they are slightly longer compare to what I normally wear and I wanted to go down 1/2 size but they would not fit comfortably so I had to go with these (at creases the shoes are pressing my feet to the point it hurts).

The belt is actually dark brown, appears black due to poor lighting. I have to wear short sleeve here in 36-40 celcius heat, too hot to wear long sleeve except in the evening. The heat plus the humidity is unbearable and it's just getting hotter by the year :(

Derby vs. oxford totally agree with you but again with my situation here I opted for derby, if I wear a suit then oxford but I don't get to wear suit often enough :((

Cheers & happy Eid Mubarak (I don't celebrate it though)

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
RogerP, I have been trying to work this out on and off for some time now - what is that a picture of in your avatar?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A dress watch? Really?

As for the Explorer, you can wear sneakers with a suit, but it doesn't make them dress shoes.

Yeah. I don't consider my Exp I or any of my dive watches a "dress watch." On rare occasions I have worn them with a suit or sports jacket just to "break the rules" when I feel like it, but I prefer my other watches for relatively more formal wear.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

currently own a speedmaster. should i get the IWC portguese chronograph or Rolex Submariner next?

portuguese for me, no question. subs are great but you already have a steel bracelet sports watch, port is just stunning and gives you two completely different looks

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the wildly impressive confections in your candy store, this simple little item is still a most satisfying gobstopper. The great photographs help, but you are really telling the story of why this is such a great watch. It just doesn't get old, does it?

There's a reason the 114270 hasn't been sold: it was my first "good" watch, it's been around for years and seen me through the birth of two kids, and though my preferences have evolved to desire her larger, beefier sisters every so often, her svelte 36mm good looks always have a welcome place on my wrist. There are also fine details like that raised crystal, rounded edges (which the Subs and SDs don't have, but the Daytona does), and lacquered dial that offer a visual and tactile feast for a nerd like me. Yes, I love the matte dials of the SD4000 and DSSD (original) as well, but I do not love the lacquered dials of the Exp I and SubC ref 114060 (note how I am NOT referring to it as the ND) any less.

For perspective, I traded out my first Patek Calatravas for higher complications like the perpetuals. But I don't see myself trading out my 114270 anytime soon, market value aside.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious but any of you guys actually use a watch winder?

Sorry, just getting caught up and saw this. I have this 4 winder from Heiden, and love it. It also runs on batteries which is a plus because it's easy to move around and can be put in places that don't have easy access to an outlet.

41bIneEIe0L._UX425_.jpg

11848563074_ab806ccf31.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Explorer is a purely dress watch but in comparison to the Sub, it can be dressed up just because it's much slimmer and more toned down. It looks good on a leather strap.

(not my pic)

Ya'll act like people don't wear Subs with a suit. Yeah it doesn't make it a dress watch but if it works, it works. Obviously it's going to be subjective but not everyone goes to a black tie event when wearing a suit.

Maybe I may have misread or cross-read frills Explorer post but I thought Ari was deciding between a Sub and Explorer hence my post about explorer working as a dress watch in comparison to the Sub and not the IWC?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
*envy*

@TC (Houston) , whatever the relative merits of the winder, about which I know nothing, that is such a pleasing collection of things. Sure, leaning towards the larger and more modern tastes so perhaps not for the purists (though these are only the autos anyway), but that's a very delicious quartet. Thank you for the drool.

@RFX45 I kind of agree. It looks OK on a strap, but I think it does in the form Rolex intended, too. Sure, if you're being rigid about it, no watch on a bracelet is a dress watch. But as they go, I think the Explorer and the OP, even the DJ or DD, are perfectly subtle enough for a suit. The Sub with a suit thing is maybe a reasonable allegory for the sneakers, but the Explorer with a suit, to me is more of a monkstrap - not classically dressy, but perfectly smart by contemporary mores.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I would never think of it as a dress watch either, but I will say that those pics of the Explorer on strap do look pretty good....credit to their respective OPs.

Mine (the 39mm version) has never been off its bracelet, although I've contemplated some NATOs previously.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*envy*

@TC (Houston)
 , whatever the relative merits of the winder, about which I know nothing, that is such a pleasing collection of things.  Sure, leaning towards the larger and more modern tastes so perhaps not for the purists (though these are only the autos anyway), but that's a very delicious quartet.  Thank you for the drool.

Haha, thanks. I always appreciate all of the different perspectives from the posters here, it's what makes this thread so fun and educational. But in the end, I always buy what I like and what I think I will enjoy wearing the most. I think the next purchase will be particularly unpopular and I'm looking forward to the feedback. :)

Dachshund

Reaction score
Sorry, just getting caught up and saw this. I have this 4 winder from Heiden, and love it. It also runs on batteries which is a plus because it's easy to move around and can be put in places that don't have easy access to an outlet.

41bIneEIe0L._UX425_.jpg

11848563074_ab806ccf31.jpg
Out of interest, how long do the batteries last for, say with four watches spinning at the same time? Are the batteries rechargeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads