1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

I don't think there should be a sub-forum. Like the title change, I can see how it might help bring traffic through greater search engine presence, so I get the commercial imperative.

But there's no need from the members' point of view, I don't think: this thread is lively and interesting, but averages just a few posts per day - far fewer than, say, the WAYWRN thread.

I fear that turning this into a sub-forum will make it less SF talking about watches, and more a fragmented repetition of other watch fora, while its current cosiness will be lost.

6 people like this.
  2. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

As you mentioned a 5711 blue dial can definitely be had, but try getting one with a tiffany stamped dial. A close friend has been on the waiting list for 3+ years with no clear end in site.

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time, but just throwing my two cents in the ring-If it aint broke, don't fix it. I would just say make thread II and go from there. If you make a bunch of sub threads, how is it any different from any of the number or watch forum sites....

Lastly, I might as well share what I'm wearing today...
    [​IMG]

-LR

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

FYI, I just saw a nearly-new 5711 in a local re-seller. It happens. People get them as gifts and go to this place to flip them for cash. Some nasty stuff in there - camouflaged Grahams, aftermarket-pimped Rolexes, jewelled Perrelets etc - stuff that sits there for months and longer. But every now and then there's a peach; prices are usually stiff but negotiable. A friend of mine bought a hideous jungle-themed Hublot there for Harley rides and general dickishness. Ugly watch imo, but got a decent deal on it.

Anyway, if anyone's in a serious hurry for a Nauti, I can go check.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree that I like this catch-all thread. There aren't so many posters that we really need brand-specific threads … seems likely it will end up fracturing the continuity of the general group's communication.

1 person likes this.
  5. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

As someone with a long history on watch forums, I definitely think you should keep it as one thread. If you splinter it, it's tough to moderate and none of the threads will have enough posts to be interesting. I'd consider sponsoring it if I could offer deals here from time to time and the rate wasn't crazy. You can PM or email me at stevehallock AT gmail DOT com

6. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Meanwhile, this UN GMT+- Perpetual is possibly the ultimate daily wearer. WG so stealth but precious metal, nice but not so expensive you fear traveling with it or wearing it, and mostly has the most useful combination of complications and ingenious design to make them super user-friendly. Just put this distressed leather strap on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Man, I dislike just about everything going on with that dial; placement of windows, fonts, general sense of clutter. UN is very hit or miss for me in general.

1 person likes this.
  8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

What, you want to know what time it is just by looking? Pussy.

2 people like this.
  9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

As mimo says, this thread is fine as is (apart from opening a Mark II, so to speak). Apart from that, leave it alone!

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Another vote for keeping this as a single thread when it needs to be rebooted.

And something like The Watch P0rn Thread could be a great title.

1 person likes this.
  11. tricky

tricky Senior member

Love mine too but for an Aquanaut...how could you not!?

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

My good friend was told in December his would be about 6 months. From an AD in Montreal. We'll see though.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, but IMHO, Tiffany is a hollow shell of what it once was and there is nothing current I'd want from them. They changed drastically when they decided to cash in and sell tons of sterling silver key chains and bracelets to the kids of yuppies. While I know some people go nuts for a dial with a Tiffany stamp, I wouldn't waste my time waiting for a modern watch with it. I'd rather buy the same watch with a discount than have one with extra branding on it. For example about several years ago, a friend had a choice of paying full price for a new Tiffany & Co branded Patek 3970J, which back then had an MSRP of around $77,000, or a brand new PP 3970 from an AD for $48,500. He went with the AD, and the big discount and doesn't regret it one bit. Neither would I. Cheers!

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Point well taken.

Would one of you (Dino, Mimmo, both) write a FAQ for the OP of the new thread, though, so that it's easier for newer users to navigate, not ask questions asked many times before? Bettering the relationship between guys who have been here 10 years and brand new members is an imperative for us right now for a lot of reasons (all of them obvious) and I think that that would really help.

Cheers,

Fok.

15. bings

bings Senior member

Just picked up a new Daytona in RG...

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. apropos

apropos Senior member

LA Guy,

Why are you trying to fix, that which is not broken.

Unless there is some compelling software reason this thread should become a forum, let it be.

I don't think we should cater to the lowest common denominator by having a FAQ, because not only will it stifle the thread somewhat, there is no universally correct answer when it comes to watches.

By stifle I mean that instead of people posting answers which often leads to interesting side-conversations, dicks will just say HEY YOU READ THE FAQ... and I don't think that is good.

This however, is good, plenty good. Don't break it.

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Pretty sure Fok asked what we think without presuming that we would all want a multiple thread solution. No one is trying to break anything.

18. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I actually completely agree with you. Tiffany is not by any means what it once was. I was merely mentioning the Tiffany stamped 5711 because of the discussion of the waiting list. Cheers.

-LR

19. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

I think keep format as it is, I enjoy seeing wide variety of watches

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

I would be happy to write a draft FAQ for the first post of the next TWAT reincarnation. But as my contributions here are largely defined by their ignorance, I think the key word is "draft"! Then Dino, Belli and others can come and straighten me right out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.