• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Porsche Design -- I was wearing mine today:

Last edited:

jorijori

Reaction score
@DJH yours looks mint! Yours movement is Lemania 5100 (longer lugs), mine is Valjoux. More pics please.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's this German brand Modalo and this 8-watch winder is $750 but it looks pretty good if you don't mind showing off your collection.

Stance on winders here doesn't seem hostile like in other watch forums so maybe others can chime in?
Interesting, I didn't realize people got hostile about watch winders/brands etc. To me they are a non-issue. If you like it buy it, if not then don't. I don't see a need for one for myself, as I don't own a perpetual calendar and I' don't mind winding a watch myself.

As for the big fancy display winders...I'm not the kind of person to put all my watches on display. I think it makes the owner look like a show off. Beyond that, I'm always concerned about safety/security. I'd be concerned that in the event of a break in, you just made it super easy for the thief to take off with all of your watches. I know that is what insurance is for, but on some pieces where I'm the original owner and a piece isn't made anymore, I don't necessarily want to have to hunt for something close in condition to what I had, plus all boxes and papers etc. I know for most of us, it may never be an issue that we will have to deal with. However, I know that one of our buddies here, lost a bunch of Panerais and Rolex watches in a break in a few years ago.

It is Porsche Design by Orfina circa 1970/80s, you still can get them from Chrono24 but prices are creeping up.
Very cool. I like the old Porsche Design products when they were made by Orfina and IWC. I haven't really had much interest in PD watches since they bought Eterna, and turned production over to them. Eterna also had lots of distribution and parts problems years ago. Not sure if its any better or worse since PD bought them.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap Brookstone winder that I keep a 6309 and my Orient Star running on. Everything else I wind my self - in fact Seiko says you shouldn't use winders with their Spring Drive watches and that they'll void the warranty.

Sad to hear about Eterna, as they're a classic brand with some technical history behind them.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah displaying watches is really up to the individual but if you put it in a walk-n closet then you are pretty much just displaying it for yourself.

I'd love to have one of these but for $5k, I'll just buy another watch or two.

HRoi, this might be a more subtle alternative, same German brand for $400. Also has an additional 7-watch storage so it works as a a 13-watch case.

Last edited:

ctp120

Reaction score
What's the consensus here about Parmigiani, generally, and the Kalpa Grande in particular? I own this one, a gift from my father ~7-8 years ago. I also have the stainless bracelet but have only ever worn it on the brown Hermes for Parmigiani crocodile strap.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the consensus here about Parmigiani, generally, and the Kalpa Grande in particular? I own this one, a gift from my father ~7-8 years ago. I also have the stainless bracelet but have only ever worn it on the brown Hermes for Parmigiani crocodile strap.

I'd say the consensus is your father is a giver of nice gifts! :nodding:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus here about Parmigiani, generally, and the Kalpa Grande in particular?
Looks like your dad put a lot of thought into your gift, and chose something interesting. They make very high quality time pieces. Enjoy it.

ctp120

Reaction score
Yes, it was a very generous gift. I've enjoyed wearing it as one of my primary watches for the better part of a decade now. He's a big watch guy and a collector, so I know he enjoyed making the choice. Our tastes are very different in most things. I do, however, like the looks of the watch quite a bit. The first month or so I wore it with the bracelet, but it just didn't look as nice to me as it did with the strap. Problem is that the strap is starting to degrade at this point, and I'll soon be forced to decide between going back to the bracelet or replacing it.

Here's a stock photo of what it looks like in the other configuration.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with replacing the strap as it looks like it would overwhelm the watch head. Parmigiani is ranked by many as close to the trinity in quality. It's a beautiful, fine piece, enjoy it in good health!

ctp120

Reaction score
I'm strongly leaning in that direction. I still think it looks significantly better with the strap, and the sizing is awkward with the way the bracelet links are configured. I only feel a bit guilty having the bracelet collect dust in the box. I also wonder if I've just never given my eye a chance to adjust to it. Something a bit jarring about the contemporary look of it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find the bracelet a bit much on the Parmigiani. I like it a lot more on a strap. IMHO strap helps define and display the unusual case shape, and probably makes it look better with a suit or for more elegant events. I think with the bracelet the watch case kind of blends into the bracelet and the lugs and case just get a bit lost in the bracelet. However, since you already own the bracelet so there is no harm in giving the bracelet another chance. It might grow on you. If not you can always go back to a strap. In the end, you know your preferences and sense of style better than any of us here would, so go with whatever makes you smile most when you look at your wrist!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads