• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated. Have read what I could online about these Uhrenwerft watches (and there isn't much), and although I do like the look of them, it's hard to see the added value if they've done nothing to the ETA movement other than put it in a pretty case. Although I haven't seen the Nomos Metro in person, it does look fine and seems to have a well-regarded in-house movement.

I wasn't a big fan of the Metro at first when I saw it in pictures. I had the chance to put in on during the NOMOS event in NYC and it completely won me over. Really fun watch that sits really well on the wrist. It's still not my favorite NOMOS design, but I really did enjoy as a watch that was a bit more fun.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay $4K for an ETA 2824 movement. As for the Nomos Metro, it is an interesting design but as can be seen in pictures, the movement is too small for the case.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
inlove.gif

chanoch

Reaction score
I wasn't a big fan of the Metro at first when I saw it in pictures. I had the chance to put in on during the NOMOS event in NYC and it completely won me over. Really fun watch that sits really well on the wrist. It's still not my favorite NOMOS design, but I really did enjoy as a watch that was a bit more fun.

Right, ho. Have been trying to find one in the NYC area. Tourneau hasn't got any more of them ... Would be nice to try it on.

chanoch

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay $4K for an ETA 2824 movement. As for the Nomos Metro, it is an interesting design but as can be seen in pictures, the movement is too small for the case.
Still new to the world of TWAT and am not sure why a small movement would be a negative, especially as it's a mechanical wind rather than automatic. From what I've read online, the new NOMOS movement seems to have been received positively by TWAT and other enthusiast boards. My own main objection to the Metro's design is that I would prefer to have less metal in contact with my skin, as the sapphire glass would be less reactive and I am slightly sensitive to nickel. (I typically rotate my watch to my right wrist once or twice during the day, which has reduced greatly any tendency towards rashes.) Probably just showing my ignorance again ...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you buy a Tudor of any kind?

Only one that catches my eye is the Heritage Chrono Blue. I know it is an ETA movement but it is different than the 2824 which is used is watches <$500 to whatever someone wants to charge for their packaging around this very basic movement.

If it came down to purchasing a HCB, I may end up with something else.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still new to the world of TWAT and am not sure why a small movement would be a negative, especially as it's a mechanical wind rather than automatic. From what I've read online, the new NOMOS movement seems to have been received positively by TWAT and other enthusiast boards. My own main objection to the Metro's design is that I would prefer to have less metal in contact with my skin, as the sapphire glass would be less reactive and I am slightly sensitive to nickel. (I typically rotate my watch to my right wrist once or twice during the day, which has reduced greatly any tendency towards rashes.) Probably just showing my ignorance again ...

Sure the movement may be good but I wouldn't like looking at this:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Right, ho. Have been trying to find one in the NYC area. Tourneau hasn't got any more of them ... Would be nice to try it on.

I'm in the Philly area and Govberg carries them, though I'm not sure if they've gotten any new models. Wempe carries them in NYC.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the Philly area and Govberg
AFAIK, Govberg were the first of the discounters with a national clientele, circa 1980. Used to love getting their nice glossy catologs in the mail.

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Don't wear the watch caseback up?

lol8[1].gif
rotflmao.gif

I think at this price point and the value you get in general JBar is really picking nits. I agree that it's disappointing, but that's asking a hell of a lot from a watch with an inhouse manufacture and really solid watch designs at their price point.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Curious but any of you guys actually use a watch winder?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do - for a select number of pieces: a couple of perpetual calendars that are somewhat of a pain to set if they run down, a vintage Rolex that doesn't have a quickset date, and several of my wife's watches (which she prefers to pick up, on the go, real quick).

Basically, six watches that I would highly prefer not to set every time I or my wife want to wear them.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't. When I had multiple watches I never had any complications other than the date. I would just let them run down or I would try to remember to wind the ones I wasn't wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads