• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh come on, Hublots suck. Why are we going on about this

marvin100

Reaction score
New to me IWC Portofino. To be worn for my upcoming wedding, and with luck, passed down to my eventual children.

14821856360_f359baf51a_b.jpg

15342304632_bc0f2b1716_b.jpg

W A N T

(nice choice. Really good looking piece!)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As you know I did credit Hublot for being the first to use rubber straps on their watches.  However, other companies started using rubber straps on their watches before AP did.  The original PP Aquanaut used a rubber strap, and now everyone from Patek, VC, AP, BP, Breguet, Cartier, Omega, GP, Breitling etc, offer watches on rubber straps.  The difference is, I don't think any of those particularly look like or were designed to resemble a Hublot.  Also, while the PP Nautlius also uses a porthole as its inspiration and is closely related to the original RO, having the same designer, Genta, and the same base movement, it manages to look separate and distinct from the RO.  In addition, the RO was conceived roughly 9-10 years before Hublot existed, so it wasn't a matter of the RO being influenced by the Hublot. 

Definitely just got to agree to disagree. I still think the big bang looks more like the classic than it does a Royal Oak, only real similarities are that Hublots just got bigger and pretty much expanding/stretching the features of the old classic Hublots than changing anything to look more like Royal Oaks. And I'd give you the number of screws but even then ROs screws aren't exactly round either.

A last comment though, I didn't say the rubber strap gave birth to other brand trying to make watches to resemble a Hublot, just simply giving them credit for what has become a popular and useful strap choice. Expecting all watches that uses a rubber strap to copy or resemble Hublot would be like saying any watch who tried to make a waterproof case after the oyster case is trying to make a watch resembling a Rolex. I did not even say anything close to that. lol

I also never said RO was influenced by Hublot but if you are going to accuse Hublot of copying ROs despite the fact that they tried their best to be different, then you should be able to accuse AP of trying to copy Hublot by using a rubber strap or people should at least give them the same flack for it but instead people blamed Hublot for copying AP more instead especially when the big bang was revealed. I am sure AP knew what they were doing there too, not that they planned to copy Hublot but they knew Hublot had it first and there will be further resemblance between them but since they are the bigger and more popular brand they got the benefit of a doubt and when Hublot was reborn, they became the copy cats including using a rubber strap that originated with them.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The case on that Patek Phillippe looks identical to the case on a Breguet I have. Hmmmmm.........
What about the hands?!

PP = Breguet homage. Fact.

@RFX45 I got that email from IWC too - and felt pretty much the same as you did. That steel moonphase without the diamonds would be very suitable for a Y chromosome.

marvin100

Reaction score
I know, right? Why must people insist on discussing watches in this here watch discussion thread?

jorijori

Reaction score
I love how Black Bay match nicely with dark brown shoes & belt.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The $3mil Patek that Angelina supposedly did not really buy for Brad.

mt4eok.jpg

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@RFX45
 I got that email from IWC too - and felt pretty much the same as you did.  That steel moonphase without the diamonds would be very suitable for a Y chromosome.

Seriously, if IWC just makes all their watches in much smaller cases, I might be wearing more IWC. The TopGun, Ingeneur, Aquatimer, Port Perpetual Calendar, Port Minute Repeater, etc... Always wanted a Big Pilot too and if they just make the son piece from the Father & Son edition in different dial colors/put the Big Pilot dial on the Mark XVI, it might have been perfect for me.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sinn 356?

Also, I think the 40mm Ingi is quite a nice size. But in general I couldn't agree more: not everyone wants their watch to enter the room before they do, and I think even some more casual watches look smart in 37-39mm form.

@jorijori The BB looks great, but we need to talk about your shoes. Those toes will NOT fly on Styleforum. ;)

Last edited:

jorijori

Reaction score
@mimo

Hahaha...thanks for your concern, I knew that when I posted on rock your socks thread, a long time forum member made fun of me.

Actually they are not as square as they look and as my feet are wide so squarish toes look more proportional as opposed to rounder toes.

jorijori

Reaction score
@mimo

Off topic, why sometimes I don't see the "insert picture" button even in "full page editor" mode? My browser is Mozilla Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads