1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

They did, but they stopped making them I believe sometime in the late 90s. The steel ones are relatively rare and when they do show up at auctions or in the pre-owned market, they go for well into six figures.

2. Selvedged

Selvedged Senior member

Anyone here good with Omegas?

I have one in hand that I could use help assessing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took it to the Omega boutique in and Hutton two weeks ago and the watchmaker there opened it up to have a look. The movement is fine and it works but it needs to be re-lubricated a new seals need to be installed. The acrylic crystal is cracked and needs to be replaced. Everything else is rocksolid. They told me it's circa 1960s. Markings and all the numbers are as follows:

- Calibre: 601
    - Case reference: 135012
    - movement: 25026447

...... Aside from the above they told me that they cannot help with identifying or apraising. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

For fans of the VC Overseas if you have not seen their website there are big changes revealed for 2016... new movements (very cool 22kt rotor and exhibition back), dials, hands, cases, bracelets, and bezels appear to have been modified, and in steel they will be equipped with a bracelet, rubber strap, gator strap and a quick change mechanism. In addition, to the new chronograph, and standard time only models they will have an ultra thin perpetual calendar and a time only ultra thin to compete with AP's ultrathin RO both in WG (although VC will essentially be using the same base movement as AP, for them its called cal 1120 rather than 2120) I was never a fan of the present generation models, so it will be interesting to see the new ones in the metal.

4. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure I'm in love with the new aesthetic; something looks off with the transition from case to bracelet. Could be just the way they are shown on the website though. And as nice as that new movement looks, I like the overseas with a solid case back. Also not a big fan of the new date window on the chronograph.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There are elements of the new one that I find appealing. I've never liked a grand date on the chrono, so the standard date for me is a welcomed change (although I think in keeping with the sporty theme they should not have outlined it with a white metal), as are the uniformly sized subdials, and I always had mixed feelings about the faux link next the the bezel at 12 and 6 as it wasn't really a great tie in to the bracelet. The exhibition backs don't bother me, as I suppose they want to show off their new in house caliber particularly on the chrono. Still, there are elements that don't appeal to me, and like you I also found the transition from case to bracelet looking a bit odd.

For those of us that were never fans of the second generation Overseas, it could potentially bring us back into the fold if its really impressive in person. While for those who loved the 2nd generation, it could be the right time to start searching for a nice deal on one before the supply of new ones dries up. Cheers!

PS...I think there are a good number of VC fans who are going to be disappointed as I've seen many posts in past months with collectors hoping for a Les Historiques collecton addition in the form of a modern (larger) revival of VC's Jorg Hysek designed 222.

2 people like this.
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

Nice bracelet; more like the previous model, and with more than a hint of Nautilus about it. The 1630 date is a bit too reminiscent of Longines and a dozen other 7750-ish chronos, and nothing else about it is really exciting me. That fancy movement and its shiny rotor on display is something, but with the expected list price, there are a lot of other shiny things out there.

However, as someone who likes the current edition, I can only be delighted by your faultless observation that this should mean some good deals on the "old" model: mint used ones are in the $12-13k range I think, for a blue dialed chrono. Take, what, 20% off that in the next year? I might be able to risk all kinds of relationship breakdowns to get there.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

New Lange stuff looks nice. New JLC peretual is cool, but will suffer from the previously hashed out problems.

8. Igor01

Igor01 Active Member

Mixed feeling on the new Overseas chrono here - while I appreciate the new movement and gorgeous rotor I am on the fence about what looks to me like unnecessarily busy dial with excessive markings, white background date at 4:30 with a shiny metal border. I love how they faceted the hands and hour markers, the new watch will surely sparkle on par with AP 15400.

I agree with DIJr about the odd transition from the case to the bracelet, it just doesn't rhyme with the Overseas aesthetic somehow. But of course the new quick easy-fit switch system for bracelet and straps is a very welcome feature.

It could be just me but it seems VC are trying to allow the Overseas line to reach well into the higher quality and price tier with the ultra-thin models. Particularly so with the introduction of time only model which will only be offered in white gold. Since it will be only sold in boutiques getting one through grey dealers at usual discount will be problematic.

Overall, the Overseas refresh is a mixed bag. I am still trying to decide if I like the new chrono case and bracelet look, so far the current (2004 model) seems to appeal a little more to me, so I'll probably be keeping mine.

1 person likes this.
  9. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Well as while back I asked the question here about what kind of dress watch I should get to commemorate a big career event. I got a lot of great feedback and some insightful responses. I was fortunate enough to pick it up this weekend and I'm very pleased with my decision. My dress watch half of the equation is now complete with the Basculante in steel and now this (special thanks to Dino for planting the seed).
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

You took the picture upside down! [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I'll be honest and say that I don't know enough about movements and that I'm more into how the watch looks on my wrist than the caseback, but this is breathtaking:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

How are you supposed to tell the time? New AP royal oak looks amazing

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

why?

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

due to rarity or something else?

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I would guess it is due to rarity.

I do not like the new VC Overseas. Date placement and certain other details are not to my taste. I actually do really like the current one with blue dial - it is lovely.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Not a big PAM guy - something about them looking better in photos than in the flesh (to me), but this is pretty damn cool:

Lo Scienziato Luminor 1950 Tourbillon GMT
    [​IMG]

17. agp

agp Senior member

It's usually difficult to tell the time from looking at the back of watches.

1 person likes this.
  18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Only for amateurs.

1 person likes this.
  19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I think the steel ones were meant to be service loaners.

20. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Crazy, but I kind of like that looks of that Panerai beast, too.

And I'm not much into the "skeleton" or open-worked stuff in general*.

Would love to see how it holds up in person, and on the wrist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.