1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Viral,

The Tank Solo has several differences from my watch. Mine is the Tank Louis Cartier XL from the (in Cartier speak) "Retired" CPCP collection. It was at the time, the largest classic Tank Louis Cartier model produced, had a hand wound rectangular movement from "Sister company" Piaget, that could be viewed through a sapphire case back. The guilloche dial with "Rose"design at the center is unique to the CPCP watches. In addition they were made in small numbers. IIRC they made 200 in pink gold and 50 in platinum.

The Tank Solo's have a more common and less expensive ETA based movement, a solid steel case back, the top side pieces of the case are flat not rounded, the dial is different, and it's far less expensive. It's also a current production model.

There is currently a Tank Louis Cartier XL Extra Flat, that is closer in design to mine than the Solo, It's slight larger than my watch, but thinner due to its very fine, ultra thin manual wind movement. It's movement is higher end than the Solo's movement. It has a gold case and gold case back, and the tops of the side pieces are rounded like on my watch. It has has a silver dial, but without any guilloche design. It's significantly more costly than the Tank Solo.

Each of the current pieces is quite nice, its simply a matter of which you prefer in terms of design and price. I suggest trying on each, as the dimensions are different and they may fit you differently. Keep us posted on your research and good luck. Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

That looks great. who did such a nice job?

3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

There are some RARE platinum deployants by cartier. They are very nice.

4. bahlsdheep

bahlsdheep Well-Known Member

/.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Happy holidays, my TWAT brothers (and maybe sisters)! I am off overseas to spend time with an ailing family member, but I will continue to lurk and read posts and congratulate incomings and occasionally post watches on my wrist.

Thinking I'm going to bring the Snoopy and the 5711 on the trip. The AP is basically welded onto my wife's wrist, she loves it.

2 people like this.
  6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Waiting for Wifey.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Safe travels and happy holidays! Glad to hear that Mrs. Frills is enjoying her AP. Cheers!

8. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

I figured you guys would be into this one here. It's an Ochs and Junior Annual Calendar. It's my personal watch and was special ordered with a friend (the hands are just slightly longer than the regular production versions). I toy with the idea of selling it because I don't wear it much, but then I strap it on my wrist and rethink. They're very cool watches. This one is also cool because there are no colorings whatsoever (paint or anything like that). The case is raw titanium. The dial is brass. The hands, markers, and indicator dots are oxidized brass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    4 people like this.
  9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't understand. Why isn't the chronograph running? The entire point of a tool watch is that you can use it to time mission critical events -- like how long it takes for your wife to arrive.

2 people like this.
  10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Someone on here bought one and I spent a lot of time looking at them (and he helped me - sorry I don't recall the username and I would have to search through several-year-old messages). One of the simple time-only versions they developed for kids was what I really wanted but they only made a few prototypes. Really great designs and concepts.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Yeah they do a really good job of sticking to their ethos. It's a great niche and they nail it. The calendar watches are a neat mix of minimalism and complexity. The kids watch was really cool but I think they were all bought by adults!

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

True.
    I actually started the chrono after I took that snap.

13. Viral

Viral Senior member

wow......thanks for the info! I'm realistically going to buy in the new year, but i figured it would be best to ask someone who really know their stuff. I like the fact that the Tank Solo XL is offered in RG instead of YG, however I'll be changing the strap to either black or navy to complete the look.

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Despite the unfortunate circumstances, I hope it's a good visit and that you enjoy it to the fullest extent possible. Sincere best wishes to you and your family.

I recently spent some time overseas in SE Asia and it was the freaking best. Brought only one watch (216570) and used it as intended; the safest place is on the wrist (especially for travel). One fewer thing to worry about, too!

[​IMG]

Happy holidays and safe travels, V!

:cheers:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    7 people like this.
  15. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

:nodding:

16. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Just took this puppy in on trade. It's a Lange Perpetual Calendar in yellow gold. I thought it was going to be too dressy for me, but wearing it today with jeans, t-
    shirt and Thedi leather jacket from @Epaulet and digging it. I'm definitely a sucker for a good micro-rotor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  17. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

@SteveH35 - congrats man, that is beautiful! My favorite Lange by a mile

1 person likes this.
  18. tricky

tricky Senior member

@SteveH35's watches make my head explode.

1 person likes this.
  19. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

This is a very Epaulet watch! Not surprised to hear it's your favorite. When you want one, let me know ;)

[​IMG]

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ah...karma. The Langematik Perpetual, right next to the Datograph on my grail list. And equally irritating to Dino - teehee!

You sure know how to pick a winner. Magnificent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.