1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Congrats on the recent acquisitions guys! I share the same sentiments with DLJr. Aquanaut really doesn't shine by itself. But damn it looks gorgeous on the wrist. Some watches looks great by themselves but undermining on the wrist.

Here's my contribution for today. Attending a wedding lunch and a wedding dinner on the same day. Love how versatile the lange 1 is.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Going back to a daily beater/tool watch which earlier I ask about some suggestions. I finally made my decision on this watch. Early X'mas Present for myself.
    [​IMG]
    The SINN EZM 3.

Very under the radar with its matt finishes. Sometimes I think the sub is a lil flashy due to the superb polishing and the shiny ceramic bezel. Perfect size, the u2 is too large and thick for me. At its price point, I think its the most bang for buck tool watch. Swimming, to the beach, trekking, whatever, I wouldn't think twice about removing it.

5 people like this.
  3. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    Been lurking heaps and have enjoyed the Nato strap bonanza and some of the lovely APs, ALs and Pateks on display.

Thought I'd better contribute and throw in a few Panerai's into the mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. MODUOMO

MODUOMO Member

really nice!

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

^^ love Sinn watches! They don't get the recognition they deserve!

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Hear hear.

7. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I've heard both words used to mean the same thing in the watch world. The people who worked on the Breguet used both, as did the clock's owner. And I used both in my post.

From Patek Philippe: "Please note that the refurbishing of the case and bracelet is not included in the maintenance, but left for your personal preference."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Regarding your statement, "I've refurbished lots of old things (cars, homes, boats, etc..) so I don't see why a watch would be any different," just be cause you can't see a difference, doesn't mean there isn't one. Outside of your own collecting view, the difference is value and on some level appeal to others as for many collectors not all watches are keepers. You may never consider selling your watch, but many people do. On the originality level, some collectors only purchase NOS or original mint condition, so the market may be smaller for reselling/trading redials, and hence the value of nice looking redialed watch will generally be less than a mint condition original piece (although each can be enjoyed by difference consumers).

As for your examples, refurbishing a house is the easiest thing to do in terms of increasing perhaps its efficiency, beauty,value, and possible appeal to others (if its going to be sold). In addition, there isn't an issue of whether it was done using OEM/NOS parts or to original specifications (unless maybe its a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and constructed under his supervision). With a car you get into issues of aftermarket vs. oem parts, and the quality of the work, condition, and value may differ drastically if you just hire a local garage to do the work or a true expert in restorations such as Paul Russell and Co. With a watch, a redial isn't the same as sending a watch back to the factory for a complete restoration using, factory parts, and where possible using the original tools and methods to restore something to its original glory. And even then, a mint condition original watch may still have a greater appeal and value to potential collectors/buyers.

If you don't think their is actual value in an original dial, just consider the value of a vintage Rolex Red Sub or a PN Daytona. One of the first things people are doing when buying these pieces is verifying that it is the original dial. There is no shortage of shady resellers who have swapped dials, or painted Submariner in red to try increase their profit by pulling one over on less astute collectors.

I like Roger's watch and think a redial was the right thing in this situation. I previously mentioned to Roger where a dial is badly damaged and doesn't look good, its probably best to have a dial redone. Doing so will increase its beauty and enjoyment to the owner, and besides once value is diminished by a very poor condition dial redialing isn't going to do much more in terms of reducing value. In addition, if the dial was in bad shape, improving its looks even if the value doesn't increase could create a larger market of would be buyers if the watch were not a keeper. I value originality both with cars and watches, but not to the degree of crazy collectors who value original rust, or dials with lots of water damage and call that patina.

As for the rare exception of people profiting from their watches. It always depends on the watches and what they bought. One relative with a small collection could sell 3 pieces purchased in the last 10-15 years, and I estimate conservatively that he would walk away with a net profit of $50,000. He can't retire on that, but that's not too shabby. I always tell people buy watches you really love. If it doesn't go up in value, you won't be disappointed because you still have a watch you love, and if it does go up in value its an added bonus.

Lovely, but not a clock that was in relatively good shape and had a redial by the local watchmaker. This is a very rare clock that was completely restored by "Experts." As another poster stated there is a big difference between the quality of most redials and having the manufacturer (or say AP's restoration department, which I understand will restore any AP or other significant watches/clocks) completely restore a clock/watch.

This is also a very rare important piece for Breguet. You wouldn't have the same results in terms of appeal or increasing the value of a watch , if you merely redialed a more common Patek Calatrava, Rolex DJ, or Omega Constellation.

3 people like this.
  9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A restoration is far more extensive and complete. Refurbish is a more general term, it could be improving condition and it might only be done to part of an item. To restore is to bring an entire item to the condition it was in when new.

In addition, the excerpt you took from the service section of Patek's site, references polishing the case and bracelet. So if you were to use "Refurbish" by that definition...then the Breguet clock only needed polishing?

Patek has a separate section dedicated to restoration of their watches and they do not use the term refurbish in it at all. In addition, AP only uses the terms restoration and conservation in their website. VC only discusses restoration.

1 person likes this.
  10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Thanks, Novelty. Can't go wrong with the Lange 1!

2 people like this.
  11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Looking good, gazman!

12. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Patek 5960/1a

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

You're just showing off the new Q...

14. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Yep!! ;)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Step away for the weekend and missed the latest pissing contest - and some lovely photos. Keep the later coming boys!

16. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

The new (old) watch is a GMT 1675 from the late 60s. I have been lusting after this watch for a number of years, certainly in part because of all the pictures I saw in this thread. About 9 months ago, I came upon an intriguing example of a 1675 on Instagram via analog/shift. After a number of forum members vouched for a/s, i visited James (the founder/CEO) at his office in NY. For anyone that is interested in vintage watches, I would definitely recommend spending time with James, he is a cool guy and enjoys sitting around and talking about watches, never with any hint of a hard sell. Ultimately, I passed on the 1675 I had inquired about because frankly, it just looked too old. This is definitely part of my conflict with vintage watches - I like them in theory and enjoy the aesthetics of older eras but cant really get behind anything with a ton of patina or use.

A few weeks ago I decided to reach back out to James after seeing a picture of a 16750 he had posted. This one looked promising - a newer model meant fewer of the wear issues I was concerned with. However, when I looked over the watch and compared it to a 1675 that happened to be in the office I quickly realized it didnt speak to me. I much prefer the matte dial of the 1675 vs. the glossy dial on the 16750. The 1675 that I had stumbled upon though seemed to check my boxes - it was in great shape and really spoke to me when I tried it on a strap. I think the strap adds a bit more of a casual air that appeals to me vs. a bracelet.

It turns out that the 1675 in question had its dial replaced at some point in the 70s. I believe James knew this from the lume plots / tritium aging. This explained why in part it was in such good shape for a watch of its age. After some debate, I decided that as long as the dial was period correct (which it was), I was comfortable with it not being original. My biggest hang-up was the impact a replacement dial would have on resale value. Ultimately, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. The positive is that I can now watch the vintage process unfold under my ownership vs. inheriting someone else's experience.

Anyways, long ramble that I am sure no one will read. The summary is that I found a watch that I love and a dealer that I recommend highly.

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Beautiful watch! Congrats. Glad you didn't let re-sale value get in the way of something you wanted.

(I read your story from cover to cover) Thanks for sharing.

18. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Very nice looking Sinn. I've had a U1 for a few years now and it's always one of my most worn watches but lately I've been thinking of adding an EZM to my collection because I really like the size while maintaining a very tool-ish look.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your GMT! I hope it will give you many years of enjoyment. Its always great to read about the various issues that arise with a purchase and how an owner decides which watch is the right choice.

As for the dial, the seller was upfront and honest, which allowed you to make an informed decision. Without getting into cost, it was probably less expensive than if you insisted on a piece with a mint condition original dial, so there was probably some savings up front, and maybe the resale will matter less to you in the future. In the end, its a great watch and I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

I definitely understand the struggle one goes through in finding the right vintage piece, and liking the vintage look, but not some of the "Patina" that can come with certain examples. Its probably why I have yet to take the vintage plunge myself, although I have considered it. If I do take the vintage plunge at some point, I will probably consider a Pepsi GMT (and like you I will need to search for one without too much "Patina" for my taste). Congrats again and enjoy your GMT!

20. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.