1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Yes, I realize that putting all my watches in one basket is making it easy on the grab-and-go thief. A safe might be the way to go in the near future. When no-one is home, the house is, of course, alarmed (we try to reassure it, but it's very high strung). Lastly, yes, insurance. Each watch is individually accounted for on our homeowner policy.

2 people like this.
  2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Two words: Hidden Storage . ;)

3. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

But how dull would life be if all our pretty things were hidden away? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I was abit reluctant to post my newest acquisition because of some member's remark. That i may come across as bragging, showoff. But f**K it. If i were to do so, i would've post all over my facebook. Instead i chose to share my purchases and excitement with fellow watch enthusiast. There are still members that are legitimately genuine with their advice and concerns.

If you guys are curious about the rate i flip my watches, here's a little insight. Being here for almost 5 months, i notice alot of your dealers are inaccessible or too far. Buying online has its risk as well. For me, in my country, dealers are all 15-30mins drive away, so viewing the watch on site is very easy. As you guys might have notice, most of my watches are pre-owned. Here are some websites that i visit frequently. You guys can take some price references from this as well.

www.chuanwatch.com
    www.hjwatch.com
    www.grluxury.sg
    www.watchlink.com.sg
    www.visiotime.com

If i were to trade in my watch, i usually lose about 10-15% of purchase price, depends on my relationship with the owners as well. Cash out would be around 15-20%. I take those lost as my opportunity cost. Money can be made back, but the experience of owning the watch and moulding your watch preferences is priceless. So it will be motivation for me to work harder since my job is sales related.

My apologies for the grumbling. Back to business. Few days back i asked for advice for getting a dive watch. the oris or tudor. In the end i decided on the no date sub. 114060.
    Ard 6K USD brand new. When i arrive at the shop to purchase the sub, the owner showed me this! JLC Master Grande Memovox Platinium ***/250.

[​IMG]

Quote:
    HAD TO GET IT!. reference to my first few post to TWAT. Needless to say i left the shop with it, leaving my omega DSOTM and PP 5035G there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still figuring this perpetual thing out. . . Apparently setting it is a pain in the a**. But the alarm is lovely.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    5 people like this.
  5. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

@Novelty77: very sweet! But considering the rate at which you are going, I doubt that this is your end game. If you do end up moving this one, curious how that will go, after hearing Dino's stories about the challenging JLC higher end vintage market.

1 person likes this.
  6. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Very nice watch!! Hope you get a lot of joy from wearing it!

PS.: the idea of a "grail" watch, the one after which all of your desires will be fulfilled, is naive! Sorry to be blunt, but even if you have bought your "grail" watch, I'm sure there will be many other pieces that will tempt your desires and it sure won't be the last! I've long stopped believing in the concept of "grail" watch! :D

Please do post more pictures of your newly acquired beauty, I'm sure nobody here will object! :)

5 people like this.
  7. Tried and True

Sounds like you've never had kids.:D

But seriously, I don't see the travesty in placing something out of sight when one is not present to view said object.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

@Novelty77 - Congrats on a stunning watch. I agree with everyone else when I say while this is indeed a grail for most mortals, this is most likely your 'end-month' watch :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  9. no frills

no frills Senior member

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Role... 
    As requested: [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  10. no frills

no frills Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well, JLCs do offer a lot of bang for the buck and as some say, there is more to collecting than resale. However, yes the high end JLC's can be a challenge to sell in the vintage market. Hopefully, this one is a keeper for Novelty77 and then resale won't really matter.

Congrats on your new addition! Looks great, and I hope it brings you many years ...or months [​IMG] of enjoyment!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

You know the rules...why does that particular JLC sing to you? Your flavors of the week change fast [​IMG]

I am not a big fan of the two-crown JLCs. They do nothing for me.

13. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

My daughters are grown young ladies and I have not had to hide things out of their reach in some time.

I thought a bit about your second sentence. Watches seem to me to occupy a fuzzy area. My wife's jewelry is indeed out of sight and securely stored when she is not wearing it. And we have other objects that are quite valuable, but their value is not necessarily obvious to the casual or uninformed observer. Such things can be more or less safely displayed. Indeed, that is, essentially, their purpose.

Watches are both aesthetically pleasing and, in some cases, rather valuable. So I can take pleasure in seeing them displayed, at least in the privacy of my bedroom, but there is also a concern, expressed earlier in this thread about having valuable, easily transported objects so accessible. I'm not sure I can square that circle in a practical way. I will probably bite the bullet at some point and store watches that are not being worn in a safe. Except the moonphase. That thing is a pain to reset when it stops.

14. Tried and True

I view my watches in much the same way as my other accessories (cuff links, tie clasps, belt buckles, rings, cigarette lighters, sunglasses, etc) and clothing. For me, enjoyment of a particular item comes in it's wearing. I really don't look at the various collections of these items any longer than it takes to choose the one I'm going to wear on a given day.

Wait, did I just lose my WIS card.....:embar:

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Wow, there's something you don't see every day! I just wanted to mention that the numbering on that dial is vastly improved from a lot of JLC dials I've seen in the past decade or so. They finally stepped up their game and made some lovely lettering choices there; it's nice to see something that doesn't look so obviously computer-drafted from them. Very cool watch and thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Perhaps. Best to keep quiet about it and hope no one else notices. [​IMG]

18. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

That bezel, @no frills :slayer: Lucky lady!

Winter is coming. Staying warm with red gold.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

*Novelty77 drops mic*

20. sliq

sliq Senior member

Q: If i put a curved spring bar (with curved strap) on a watch that comes from factory with straight spring bars, is the integrity of the spring bars staying in place jeopardised? I've read posts that suggest the holes in the lug ought to be angled/curved to snugly fit the spring bars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.