• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piaget Altiplano. Not sure what the RRP on that is though, except its out of my price range.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you my friend.  I hope you are still enjoying your Jumbo RO.  I might be stopping by your neighborhood toward the end of the year...so maybe we can meet up then if not sooner. Cheers!

Dino, I am actually rocking my Jumbo right now! Loving it as you told me I would. So glad I went with my gut (and your advice) and traded in went with this over the 15400.

Also, Dino, I just moved back to NYC for a new job, which I may be commemorating with a non-Dino approved watch. Even though it doesn't get your stamp of approval, I am excited by the prospect and if all goes well, I should pull the trigger by the end of the month. I will definitely share if it happens (even if I incur Dino's friendly wrath).

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 15k Id find an AP ultra thin. But that Omega looks lovely, whats the MSRP?

Omega should MSRP between 13-15k.

Piaget Altiplano. Not sure what the RRP on that is though, except its out of my price range.

Both the AP ultra thin and the Piaget Altiplano are good suggestions, but they mostly make me see that I like the textured dial on the Omega more than I realized.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have big bill to replace 18ct crown on GRAFF watch with Chopard movement ggrrrrr

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Hahaha, I think I will take a pass on that bad boy :). With that said, I do love me some Piaget. KeithT needs to step his game up! And Dino, glad we are in agreement :slayer:
UH OH. Shots fired! Admittedly, I may be over-thinking my next purchase Newcomer, but that's only because I don't want to blow it LOL. I can say that there are a few pieces that I've now dropped from consideration (for differing reasons)....so in a way, that's making progress, right? Hint: Piaget is still on the short list.
I confess that dial is a lot more attractive in your pic. This is quite something - we're definitely out of kopping season for you, but now you're into steel sports watches instead of precious Patek complications, I guess we can look forward to more frequent vicarious indulgence. Go Frilly! I would like to add that I predicted this diver-fest, and also that one day you will have a Panerai. Either way, you keep bringing the meat to this thread.
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
Breasts are for babies. I am also unmoved by the pneumatic Ms Upton. But I don't know who yours is either. Anyway, perhaps as gentlemen we can respond to the misogynistic horrors of the last couple of internet days by raising our standards a little. I'd be quite happy to look at watches, really. Here are some now, with an exam question: "The TWATterati have expressed disapproval of the modern IWC range for several reasons, and even the popular Portuguese range has faced criticism. Discuss why."
The case shape of the (top) Portuguese chrono is awkward - wider at the dial than at the back, and as a result, slopes to catch your shirt sleeve and wedge it underneath, so it looks like you're showing your watch off. The "classic" case, shown on the second and third watch, is larger and thicker but a softer shape. Neither of these things probably has any relation to IWC's status in TWAT. They are just practical things I noticed when looking at some. The latter two watches also have the "newer in-house movements", allegedly. I've heard various bones of contention about IWC, including suggestions of dishonesty about how "in house" they really are. I'd like to know more about that from the more advanced creatures here. But for my part as a simple tyre-kicking caveman, I say this: that awkwardly-shaped chrono above is still very beautiful and distinctive to me, and I would rather like one. Is this wrong?
mimo, I'm pretty much with you on that assessment. If the older-style chrono were slightly tweaked (mainly those d*amned chopped off numerals) it would be vastly more appealing to me. But as it stands, I still would prefer that watch to the others you've shown here, simply based on looks. The movement thing opens up a whole other line of discussion of course. Also, put me in the camp of "frilly needs to get into Panerai". I think it's just a matter of time.
Simple (though very basic IWC owning) caveman chiming in: Since IWC abandoned the cursive script for print on their Portos, they haven't really done anything for me. Not that I don't think the Automatic looks nice (I feel bad for the cut numerals on the chrono), it's just that knowing how good they used to look, I'd never consider a new model. My favorite is probably the limited Pisa edition, with it's handpainted dial:
picture
:satisfied:
Hell to the yeah....that looks tres elegant. Am I too young to say "they don't make 'em like they used to?"
Much as blue dials and stick markers always appeal, I think I like the earlier 5100 more: either way, these movements are spectacular, aren't they? It's about four years since I was last in NY. One of these days I'm going to have to come over for lunch. With so much TWAT-chat, it's starting to feel overdue. Talking of PP, my beloved has taken an endearing interest in matters horological after being shown so many things over the last couple of years. She was showing me pictures of stuff last night that she's decided she likes. Frilly's 3970 featured prominently. Three different versions so far on her "I'd quite like..." list. Salmon dial anyone? I knew you people were ruining my life. There's me still agonising over Stowa and the light of my life is graduating to Patek grand complications. You jerks.
To me, it just seems like all Pateks should be round, Nautilus excepted. But there's no denying that's another tremendous watch....spectacular movement, indeed. You should definitely buy one for your wife. And get yourself an Armitron :D
Dino, I am actually rocking my Jumbo right now! Loving it as you told me I would. So glad I went with my gut (and your advice) and traded in went with this over the 15400.
Also, Dino, I just moved back to NYC for a new job, which I may be commemorating with a non-Dino approved watch. Even though it doesn't get your stamp of approval, I am excited by the prospect and if all goes well, I should pull the trigger by the end of the month. I will definitely share if it happens (even if I incur Dino's friendly wrath).
Sweet RO....good luck with the move, and keep us posted if/when you pull the trigger. I've got a brief stop in NYC around the first of the month, but likely no time for watch (or any other) shopping, unfortunately.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fake Name Brand Watches

I visited a professional watch repairman and wholesaler today. He has been in the business for 25 years. He showed me the most amazing fake Rolex. The weight was right and the gold had been plated with real gold to pass a metal test. He had a customer last week pay him $100 to verify a Panerai that he said turned out to be fake. His customer had bought it off Ebay. He said the fakes are getting so good that even experienced pawn shops and jewelers were getting faked. He said papers and certificates are also being faked. Watch out where you buy things...

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fake Name Brand Watches

I visited a professional watch repairman and wholesaler today. He has been in the business for 25 years. He showed me the most amazing fake Rolex. The weight was right and the gold had been plated with real gold to pass a metal test. He had a customer last week pay him $100 to verify a Panerai that he said turned out to be fake. His customer had bought it off Ebay. He said the fakes are getting so good that even experienced pawn shops and jewelers were getting faked. He said papers and certificates are also being faked. Watch out where you buy things...
A story ADs love to hear........

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fake Name Brand Watches

Ill confirm that. Last week I had a guy come in with a Panerai to sell. Box, papers, warranty card from an AD, the whole shooting match. Could not have looked and felt more legit. Best fake I ever saw hands down. Thanks to DerekS, and some internet fu regarding the papers, I was able to turn the guy away. But holy crap they are making serous fakes these days.

Here are some pics:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, funny enough, the quality of fakes is just going to push more and more people into brand boutiques.

That is just crazy.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a dress watch. My preferences are heavily skewed towards simple. The new Omega Trésor looks fantastic to me.

I am also a fan of smaller watches. My daily wear is a 34mm Rolex Air-King, but I suspect the diameter won't bother me because of the (relative) thinness. I will try on the watch before buying to make sure it's the appropriate size.

Question: What else do you like in this category, buying new, in the general price range (15k and below)?

If you think it looks fantastic then go for it. I can't think of too many textured dialed dress watches. Most seem to be understated. I like the Cartier Tank which looks fantastic in yellow or rose gold with a leather strap or JLC may have something, though I can't think of any of their watches with textured dials.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Jumbo...looks fantastic! Congrats on the new job and your move to NYC. Wishing you lots of luck and fun with both. Also, even if a watch is not so called "Dino Approved" I'm always happy when my friends acquire something that makes them smile, so I wish you lots of luck with your next watch purchase.
cheers.gif

Omega should MSRP between 13-15k.
Sorry, I'd never spend that kind of money on basic 3 handed Omega. At that kind of money there are watches that are far finer in terms of workmanship and finish...if new I'd consider JLC or Piaget, if pre-owned there may be some VCs or APs that will fall into your price range. I just don't see much demand for the Omega you are considering and I think you will take a bath on it if you ever tire of it and want to sell or trade it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I cant imagine spending that kind of change on a simple 3 handed Omega. Ymmv.
Spot on my man!!!
fistbump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics