1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Totally agree. i suggested the other thread because I thought that there may be more of a discussion for that brand there....as the posted said that there was not much here.
    I didn't suggest it to not include the brand here.

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Back on my wrist after service.

3 people like this.
  3. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Your cuff is no match for that beast!

Great color strap

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

For a second there, I was thinking... boy, that looks a lot like the 176. I wonder what the difference is.
    Outside of the solid case back and the tobacco brown dial, there isn't a lot of data online, so can you enlighten me?

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

There may be movement differences, but I don't know anything about that. Apart from the differences you mention, the 55 had painted numerals and indices (AKA 'sausage dial'), which I don't believe the 176 ever had. I do think there were some other models that initially came with sausage dials but were later changed to sandwich dials, while still using the same reference number.

edit: Looking here http://paneristi.com/reference/sortable_database/index.html it seems like the 55 came with the OP I movement, whereas the 176 had the OP X.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

What does a panerai service cost these days? The original Madison avenue shop quoted me something like 1000 dollars in 2011. I quickly sold mine to a co-worker.

You're correct about some Luminor references having painted dials then switching over to sandwich dials with the same reference. Like you I had a 177 H series with a sandwich dial. The year prior was the last year of the painted dials.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I see. Then I guess the 176 initially had a painted dial as well.

8. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I believe the G series was the last of painted dials for the 176/177 and 111/112.

Service for eta movement is around $600 and $1000 for inhouse. Just had my 243 serviced this year.

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^Jeez, can get an Omega co-ax done for 500 by Omega and they're supposed to be a pain to work on, or at least, requiring special training.

10. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Controversy, schmontroversy.....you ain't seen nothin' yet!

1 person likes this.
  11. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

I'm still enjoying this one but my 39mm explorer 1 gets 70% of my wrist time and my SubC LV like 5% (though it's my favorite).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Mine cost $550. Took about 8 weeks. I bought this strap while waiting for it and as soon as I made it home strap was switched

14. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

:crazy:

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Grand Seiko is better than Rolex.

Panerai owners have small penises.

IWC uses Selitta movements.

Omega hasn't made anything good since 1967.

Breitlings are for paedophiles.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    3 people like this.
  16. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

plus

Date numbers

Bi-metallic watches

Lazy typography

The limited number of really TWAT approved watches - RO, Nautilus, Sub, GMT, Reverso

Buying for investment

17. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Your only chance to buy a watch worn on the moon an it is not even an Omega:

"The watch worn by Commander Dave Scott during the Apollo 15 moon mission is set to go to auction this October.

The sale of a timepiece worn by an astronaut is a rare occurrence as the standard Omega chronographs issued to the select dozen spacemen who have stepped foot on the Moon have all been officially owned by NASA, making them government property, and are now housed within government-owned organisations.

An exception to this is the Bulova Chronograph Worn by Scott as he saluted the American flag at the start of EVA-3. It will hold the title of being the only lunar surface watch in private hands when it is auctioned off at the RR Auction Space and Aviation Auction, which is taking place October 15 to October 22."

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^ I was reading about that somewhere just a day or two ago.

Apparently, he was wearing two watches - the Bulova and a Speedy Pro - as the extra-vehicular excursions using the lunar buggy were going to mean that the astronauts would be away from the landing module for some time and so he wore two watches just in case one broke or started running slow as, of course, they didn't want to risk running low on air supplies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  19. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

subtle.
    haha

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Two years of love so far...

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
Thread Status: