1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francks

Francks Senior member

Thanks. I haven't owned the watch for that long so I guess the watch had been kept in a safe with minimal wear. Hopefully I changed that!

2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Subs in safes.

:brick:

3 people like this.
  3. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

My pair. 1680 and 3572.50. The Speedy just landed and the parts are in the mail for the Mitsukoshi dial conversion. Can't wait.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Some beautiful shots the last couple days. If only I was home, I could take a shot of my SubC and Omega SMP together (the latter is the closest I have to a Speedie). Maybe I'll try and take a pic tomorrow or the next day.

Subs in safes is just insane. They're meant to be used, they're meant to be worn. So wear them, just about everywhere.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

One of the best parts of my Speedy Pro.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    7 people like this.
  6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Bringin' sexy back :nodding:

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice pair. Kinda wish I hadn't flipped my 1680.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Shame on you, 1680s rule.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

:facepalm:

10. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

I'm attempting to treat myself to a nice dress watch (Rolex or equivalent, MAYBE a deeply discounted Patek) and I'm hoping to get something from my birth year (1983). Anyone know what would be a good starting point?

11. BigBadBernard

BigBadBernard Senior member

Difficult without knowing your budget, but you could get a nice 1980s Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. Back then they were mostly in the classic RO shape and size, unlike some of the carriage clock sized pieces they do today. Classier than a Rolex, and some of the 80s Rolexes kicking around are a tad flashy in my view without being terribly exciting timepieces...

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

HQ Milton out of San Francisco has a good reputation and generally has quite a few vintage Rolex on their website. Sometimes they have Patek. Some of the NYC guys may be able to help with vintage watches in their area but it is at least good to get some different price points.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Without a budget, it would be hard to recommend anything. A Rolex from the 1980s can be anywhere from say $2K to well over $75K. So if your budget is $2K-5K, its unlikely you will find a Patek in your price range, unless its a really small one, which might be hard for a dealer to sell to a man today.

The best way to try to find something from 1983 is to tell a reputable dealer what you are looking for. However, be prepared, once they hear you want something from your birth year, they wil probably rake you over the coals, because your options maybe some what limited by you specifically wanting something from 1983. I prefer the idea of figuring out a budget, seeing what models fall within that budget that might interest you, searching for one in the best condition you can afford and making the year it was made a less important consideration (but to each his own).
    Sorry, but I disagree. I like AP, particularly the classic line or ROs. However, production was fairly limited in the 1980s, people didn't always take great care of them (I see a ton of 80s ROs beaten to hell and have lots a bracelet stretch, unless they are the now highly regarded 39mm ultra thin Jumbos...which always had a special following and tend to be babied) so finding one from 1983 that is worth buying could be very tough. Also, lots of ROs of the 80s were owned by people who skimped on service, sending them to be refinished by amateur local guys, so many have been over polished and have nearly round bezels and no beveled edges on the lugs or bracelets. Again, I love ROs, but I'd be unlikely to recommend one from that period if he could even find one unless it was in truly mint condition.

Beyond, that depending on the OP's budget, there are lots of interesting Rolex models available from 1983, ...a manual wind Daytona, Plexi glass Subs and SDs, 16750 GMTs, 1655 Orange Hand Explorer 2s, and 1019 Explorers. If those rugged tool watches are too flashy and not terribly exciting...I can't help but I wonder if you even have a pulse [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

Budget is ideally at 5k but can go as high as 20k. I want a versatile dress watch.

15. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

That's quite a range. Not sure what you mean by versatile dress watch but it sounds like a Reverso might fill the bill. The birthdate requirement might be a stckey wicket

16. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

So do you want an actual dress watch or sporty watch like most Rolexes? What about precious metal? Size range you prefer?

Reverso is worth checking out. Something like an Explorer 1 might be up your alley as well but its not a dress watch.

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  18. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

lol.

19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

@TheWraith Awsm :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  20. ShawnBC