1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I'm quite eager too. Just so curious about the fluted tungsten bezel. Tungsten would be pretty darn resilient.

2. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Not to be pedantic, but value and price are not necessarily the same thing. Nevertheless, Rolex has been pretty astute in adjusting their retail price, in conjunction with firm controls of their distribution, to inflation. Couple this with relatively stability to their core product lines (Sub, SeaDweller (with exception to the Deep Sea), Datejust), I believe this has kept resale prices high. Of course, the watch market is particularly frothy right now. So when the next deleveraging happens, it will be interesting to see how mechanical watch prices hold up.

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Thanks for the notes and the follow-up on the watch; I agree almost entirely.

Personally, as with most things Rolex, I found that the Cyclops was an acquired taste. I went from dislike to indifference to affection, and I now wouldn’t have my date display any other way. That bit of asymmetry and light-bending adds a lot of character to the watch, and its absence on the Sea-Dweller is the biggest factor in why it leaves me a bit cold. I’d love to hear if your opinion changes in a year or two like mine did.

:)

Short answer:

[​IMG]
    (Bear in mind that they do all their manufacturing in Switzerland, and that it’s a much more hands-on process than some may think.)

Longer answer:

True, they’re not exactly bargains — though I think the older 34 mm ones can be a ridiculously good buy at current prices — but I don’t think the cost is unreasonable. I never thought I’d say that when I first took interest in watches, but I really don’t see anyone else offering substantially more watch for the money, all things considered.

Two things I value highly in a watch are originality and integrity, and Rolex doesn’t cut corners in either department. From what I can see, these factors strongly influence serious collector appeal as well, much like any other collectible. They have a strong long-term advantage over many competitors, in that they're structured as an independent private trust that doesn't have grabastic shareholders trying to milk the company for short-sighted gains with trendy limited editions and the like.

I attended my watchmaker friend’s wedding last month, and had the good fortune to be seated with some of his former WOSTEP classmates. Three of the five were wearing Rolex out of individual choice, not because they worked for the company. The other two wore the products of the small manufacturer which employed them. It was clear they all had huge respect for the company from our conversations.

Here are a few samples of other watchmakers’ opinions:

watchmakingblog.com: A Quick Fit
    (there's a wealth of general knowledge on that site, by the way)

Raul Horology: Rolex 3035 Full Service
    (note that this is from the much-maligned-by-the-internet-experts 30XX series of movements)
    :colgate:

Consider Nomos; they're an exemplary company that doesn't attract the same accusations of simply charging for the name. They have a comparable manufacturing philosophy (i.e. no cheap outsourcing), and their prices aren’t far off for similar models once you take into account the lack of a bracelet. A Zurich would very likely cost more than an OP if they offered a bracelet to a similar standard, in fact. It’s just ain't cheap to manufacture watches from scratch in Switzerland or Germany.

Yes, ceramic Submariners are costly (though worth it, IMO), but I think it’s pretty tough to find a better value at under $2K than something like this:

[​IMG]
    image credit: rolex-marche.jp

I’m not saying that you have to buy a Rolex to get a great watch, it's just that I don’t see anyone making an alternative to a comparable standard for significantly less. When you consider how strongly they retain their value and how remarkably well they fare with time in both looks and durability, I have no hesitation recommending them to anyone who wants a high-quality watch.

:cheers:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. firenze_rob

Reverso today.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. firenze_rob

Let me ask you - what percentage of Rolex's consumer base is made up of enthusiasts?

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Probably less than 1%. :p

But so what? I think it's remarkable that they have such appeal to both the least-informed and the best-informed ends of the spectrum. And either way, the customer ends up with a good watch.

2 people like this.
  7. firenze_rob

I agree with you. I believe a majority of people probably buy a Rolex because they are buying into a luxury brand. To the OPs question, the price of a second hand Rolex is propped up by a host of different factors. One of this being its appeal to enthusiasts.

8. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Yes Sir

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I don't think enthusiasts are propping up the 116610 market which is what the OP asked about. I would say this is the case with 4 and 5 digit references.

1 person likes this.
  10. firenze_rob

11. firenze_rob

I think it's all kind of related to the pathos of Rolex being something to be desired/attained.

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I actually have no idea what proportion would qualify as enthusiasts, but it seems highly likely that it isn't the majority.

At least around here, it's probably a decent chunk, as Norwegians aren't particularly flashy when it comes to what they wear, and tend not to blow their money on watches —cars, boats and drinks are a different story — so the ones that do get something pricey are a bit more likely to be into the watch thing.

In any case, if I spot a nice watch on someone's wrist, I find it's best not to overanalyze it.
    :)

13. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Yep, Rolex is the preeminent aspirational watch brand. In a league of its own.

14. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Belligero

Knowing your knowledge of fonts what is your take on the Mondaine Helvetica?

15. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I had a great friend who was a Norwegian master shipwright (and floor maker extraordinaire) who fits this description to a tee. And he loved to arm wrestle after he'd had a few.

1 person likes this.
  16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I'll play!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

looks like uninspir'd
    first-year design class homework;
    the Max Bill stomps it

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. Francks

Francks Senior member

Sub is 14 years old, speedy is roughly 1-2 years old.
    I will probably add an aqua terra mid size 38.5 in black dial. And yes this is done on purpose even though I've got already "similar" watches/configurations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Nice lume shots, Francks.

That's a great pair of sports watches.

And the two-liner Sub looks pretty good for 14 years of usage.

Oooh....I'll play this too! LOL

Might as well buy a
    Quartz Timex Easy Reader
    For way less than half

:satisfied:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I miss my Speedy Pro(s). I really need another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.