1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

YG sub or day-date are one step too close to the Pearlmaster on the bling scale for my liking.

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Stones = Bling; ask any hip-hopper.

3. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys.

4. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Is the Styleforum front page personalized, or has my Milgauss pic really been there for the whole week advertising this thread?

Anyway, first ding on the bezel. Tiny and my AD promised to take care for it for free, which I would say is pretty good service.

Also, JLC DSC went out to be regulated (+6 sec /day, which AD agreed is a bit much) and since local AD has only sales, not official service, watch flies to Netherlands and back. Estimated time two weeks, which sounds very reasonable after listening to some of your stories.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

First ding, you should throw a party!

It's only now that the watch is really, officially yours!

Partly kidding of course, dings suck. But it beats locking watches away in safes and handling them only with white gloves. Enjoy your Milgauss!

1 person likes this.
  6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

So uhh I made the mistake of handling some Langes in person... the want is strong.

2 people like this.
  7. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Yeah, BMW interior plastics - Rolex supersturdy 904L steel: 1-0. Of course I expected scratches, thought I wouldn't do it on the first week :)

These all are usable objects and you're right, dings and scratches give them personality. It's been now baptized.

8. Tried and True

Speaking of dings: My watches have all shown an unhealthy attraction to door jambs. Be they in buildings, autos, boats, trains, planes; all seem to entice.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of the Spanish blue...

11 people like this.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That can be dangerous for your $$$, but they are beautiful!!!

Dings happen...although, I've noticed some friends with particularly large watches tend to pick up worse dings. They often forget how thick some larger watches can be until BANG...it hits a door knob or door jam.

11. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Re: the Milgauss I've ruled out watches without dates. I also really dislike the seconds hand...

Gotya...it's just more enjoyable being the first owner of a luxury 'piece!

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the newish 38mm Calibre de Cartier. It fits a bit larger than 38mm & has a slightly different dial than the 42mm version:

[​IMG]

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

The hands, though too short for the dial, are nice.

Other than that, I see a lot of amateurish elements, especially the date placement. What's the point of getting ValFleurier to make movements for them so they can claim "in-house" if they can't even be bothered to specify a date wheel that fits the dial? It would have looked fine if the inner edge of the date window aligned with the inner hour-marker circle instead of clumsily sitting inboard. Even worse is the cut-off “III” in the space the other side should be occupying. That kind of ham-fisted date placement is the calling card of an off-the-shelf ETA/Sellita/Soprod/Spooginar movement.

There’s no excuse for the cheap, generic sans-serifs used for the seconds subdial and date, either.

While it's at least better than the 42 mm model, I still don't think it's the type of watch that's going to age gracefully. Unlike the Datejust, this one will likely just keep depreciating; it’s just a bit too badly drawn. It doesn’t look like a finished design to me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    5 people like this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

More indecisive mealy-mouthed waffle from Belligero. *sigh* Wish he'd just give an opinion.

And what have you got against the House of Spooginar anyway?

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nothing wrong with 'em, just not worth getting too excited over. On the plus side, servicing can be performed by almost anyone.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

With just a normal set of domestic cutlery, so I'm told.

16. Tried and True

Yikes! I would have just said that it doesn't do much for me. :embar:

Now I'm curious to hear your opinion of this Cartier piece.

[​IMG]

17. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Yeah, tell me about it! My favourite watch pusher has the Grosse Lange 1 in platinum, and surprise: it fit me quite well :satisfied: That thing is just lovely, and has a nice heft to it. The backside is perhaps the most lovely thing about it.

[​IMG]

Not exactly on my immediate list, but Lange has some droolworthy models. I quite like the look of the 1815 AB/AUF, but I have yet to try it on.

Anyway, yesterday was a casual 60th birthday party for my mother-in-law. A lovely seaside restaurant, windy but sunny. Bling was in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  18. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Ah, now that's more like it! I appreciate most of Cartier's classic designs, including the Tank Américaine. I still think it would be improved by not having a date display, but at least it's much less jarring than any of the Calibre models.

I like to be specific with my critique; how else are they supposed to fix that mess? :)

It seems that Richemont is trying to turn Cartier (and IWC) into another Panerai. It's unfortunate, as they've definitely done better in the recent past:

[​IMG]
    image credit: deployant.com

1 person likes this.
  19. Tried and True

That feeling doesn't even register with me (with the exception of my Charvet boxers :p). Probably because the most highly sought after collectables, the stuff I really treasure, are mostly all preowned. Though I do admit to occasionally being moved by an item's provenance, for the most part its ownership history is incidental.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm a big fan of Cartier cufflinks and watches, but I tend to prefer the watches they were making several years ago. I am not a fan of the Calibre in any size. I've tried on the 42 and the Calibre dive watch and the only 2 improvements I see with the 38, is they are no longer using a mix of sticks, Romans, and Arabic numerals on the dial (which I find a stylistic mess), and the 38 doesn't have that annoying date window displaying 3 dates (although I don't like the window's trapezoid shape or it cutting into the III). I have tried them on and I did not like how they sat on my wrist with a strap or a bracelet. I found the bracelet to be like a bulkier variation of an Oyster bracelet, but less comfortable. So I'd skip the Calibre models altogether.
    I like the Tank Americaine a lot, particularly in YG or RG. The case is classic Cartier and the curved shape makes it quite comfortable. Like Belligero, I favor the manual wind versions, which do not have a seconds hand or date. They were part of a smaller production run. I particularly like the versions that were part of their Privee Collection. A friend of mine has one with Romans, but they also did one with "Exploding" numerals.

[​IMG]

+1 one on preferring the Tank Americaine without the date....that Tortue Monopoussoir is stunning. One of my friends has one in YG and its amazing! At some point I might consider adding one in RG.

Mrs. Dino some how managed to lose 2 of the 4 case back screws in her large automatic Tank Francaise, and as its been several years since it was serviced we popped into our local boutique to drop it off for repairs/service. While waiting our sales associate insisted I play with a few of their new fine watch making pieces and who am I to argue with someone offering to let me play with some new watches. Most don't appeal to me, and the pricing has gotten a bit crazy on their high end pieces, however here are a few interesting models I tried.

The Tank Louis Cartier Skeleton Sapphire watch
    [​IMG]
    The Rotonde de Cartier Mystery Movement watch (like their famous Mystery Clocks), the hands appear to be floating and not in contact with anything.
    I should have snapped a photo of the back the architecture of the movement, which is very cool and sort of arc shaped, fitting behind just the solid
    section of the dial. Sadly, it looks better without the hair on my wrist serving as background through the port hole.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.