1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Still not OK. That will never change.

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'll butt in here.

I try not to listen to analists, they're mostly on crack, but every once in a while they suggest something I can get behind.

3 people like this.
  4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

+1

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its been a big NO for decades. Tigerpac found an article saying its ok, but I would check directly with the customs website or phone them. Crown and Caliber is probably fine for some things, but I would never let a third party interpret a law for me. If they left out a key provision or exception it could be a very costly headache for you.

Unless, you are buying a hard to get vintage piece, or you found an amazing exchange rate that really helps you drastically, for the most part I've almost always found I could buy the watches I wanted cheaper here in the US than abroad. Good luck with your research/watch adventure.

6. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Exactly. I found my 1957 Ref. 6422 in the UK, where it is patiently waiting for me until I can go fetch it later this year. The dealer wouldn't/couldn't send it to me.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't want this to go unnoticed.

2 people like this.
  8. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

The above mentioned article links to the US Customs page which has some additional information and contacts for you to check out. Let us know what you find out.

9. tricky

tricky Senior member

Was clever for sure :)

10. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Yeah, dopey ... and there you go butting in.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

BTW, I have seen that crazy Rolex wrist tattoo countless times on the different watch forums, but it never fails to startle me.

12. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

A question I have is does anyone think that Rolex will 'shrink' the DJII into a 40mm case for Basel '16? (similar to the DDII this yr)

I know 1mm isn't that big a deal but I think I'd be annoyed if I buy the current model only to have a 40mm released next yr (I really like the fit of my BLNR & my 40mm Ingenieur)

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It doesn't matter what we think. Year after year I've seen so many people on other forums post incorrect predictions about what Rolex will release at Basel. Only Rolex knows for sure what they will offer in 2016. If you would prefer a DJ that is 1mm smaller, all you can do is wait and see (and maybe pray).

2 people like this.
  14. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I saw a beautiful Royal Oak Chronograph in the wild today while shopping around in Charles Thrwhitt. I just want to be in my new apartment so I can make the move on a no-date Submariner and stop walking past Tourneau every day while glaring looking through the glass.

1 person likes this.
  15. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Have to say I'm slightly impressed: Milgauss is running about 1 sec/day, or even less, straight out of the box.

16. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

It’s just a matter of time before the 32XX movements replace their 31XX counterparts across the range; the date-only 3235 is already in service with the Pearlmaster 39. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been deliberately limited to one expensive niche model at the start to allow for production refinements before ramping up the output for bigger-selling models.

IMO, the 1 mm difference isn’t that big of a deal either, though it’s a step in the right direction. What I find more significant is that the proportions are a definite and noticeable improvement — especially with the bezel. It’s a safe bet that there’s a Datejust II replacement on the way with a similar profile.

When will this happen? Well, considering that Rolex managed to keep a lid on releasing a completely new movement for 2015 — despite all the people, equipment and documentation that would certainly have been involved with change — it’s a waste of time to even speculate on something as comparatively minor as a model update.

In any case, a 3235 update is coming sooner or later, and if you’re annoyed at the thought of having the present version before this even happens, then you probably aren't ever going to be satisfied with a Datejust II. Though if you’re really keen on having a big DJ right now, you could wear one at essentially no cost in the meantime by buying secondhand and selling it whenever the new one becomes available. :)

But why not just wait for what you really want? It sounds like you already know that the other one's going to be a substitute.

2 people like this.
  17. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

That's my hope on the 32XX move. I'm going to remain patient, deal with price hikes, whatever. I'd like to get exactly what I want in this case because it appears extremely likely that it will be available, and not that far down the road.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sometimes there is a cost (including price hikes) to waiting for what you really want, because there is a value to having what you truly want rather than settling for a substitute.

I'm sure the new movements will make their way through the range. Its simply a matter of when. Typical Rolex practice is the changes start in the higher priced models and then work their way down the range.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  19. dcg

dcg Senior member

I appreciate all the thoughts/comments regarding the new Rolex movement. Going to have to give this some thought; I'm inclined to give it a bit of time to try to get a feel for how quickly it's being rolled out.

20. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Use the time to try on the different versions. Give the SD4000 a try too. Enjoy the search, the watches aren't going anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.