1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tricky

tricky Senior member

I completely agree.

Though that BLNR by @steel28 is pretty amazing too!

1 person likes this.
  2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

BLNR is a great watch, no doubt about it.

3. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^Even the PCLs? Yikes

5. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Is that at the Greenwich polo club? Nice BLNR by the way. -LR

6. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Westchester PC, I'd bet.

7. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Quote:When the hunger stops, the buying can too..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    3 people like this.
  8. dcg

dcg Senior member

Good advice here. I may be in the minority, but the bezels on the pre-ceramic GMTs has never appealed to me as much as the new ones. Handling in person could always change my mind.

I'll be funding this purchase mainly through some money I received after my grandparents passed, so this'll be one I'll keep forever, and I'll likely buy new. Maybe the no date sub now, and an older GMT down the line? We'll see.

9. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Not to complicate things on an "if/when", but I'm holding off my Rolex purchase until I hear about plans of Rolex incorporating the new 3 day power reserve movements in to some of their other models. The Sea Dweller 4000 is the one on my list. As I am pretty good with rotating my watches, the longer PR is a big deal for me personally.

2 people like this.
  10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Wasn't aware of this; thanks for the info!

11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

No problem, you can google more info, but here is the rolex page with the 3255.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

I shelved my Stowa Antea KS I bought in '06 (thanks to some great advice from here), b/c it's increased in value a little too much over the years for me to wear daily. So I went ahead and ordered a banger from ebay....the Vostok "blue scuba dude"

I'm excited for it.

[​IMG]

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The match was at Myopia in South Hamilton, MA. Thanks regarding the BLNR! [​IMG]

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

It all sounds good, but I'm always a bit leery of being an early adopter for this sort of thing.

For our Rolex fanbois aficionados - would you have any concerns with buying a movement that's new to market?

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I don't think the 3255 is 'revolutionary' enough to cause concern about teething issues, personally.

16. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Always some potential for issues with new movements but Rolex's new 5 year warranty should help ease those fears.

The bigger issue is that it may be several years until the model(s) you want are given the movement, if ever.

17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I noticed it is for the day/day counter models. Here's hoping it comes to a time only model. Would love to see it in a plain perpetual.

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Two things that would ease my mind. 1. They aren't one to rush things in to market if they aren't confident it will work (plus you have the warranty). 2. It won't be new anymore when it makes it in to a GMT or Sub. The real question is, if it is announced that it will make its way through the lineup (I can't imagine it won't eventually, even Tudor is making inhouse with 70hr power reserve now), can you wait for it. I'm with Dino on the whole waiting for what you really want idea. The only thing that would have made me buy it now rather than wait for the new movement would be to date it to my daughters birth. But, given random serial numbers now I don't see the point, and I'll wait. It sucks to wait, but I like my current rotation just fine. I also might add another watch to the mix to hold me over anyway.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The warranty should cover you. I've had several Rolex watches over the years. The only one that ever gave me a problem was the Daytona in a 1st year release of the 116520 with what was then a new in house caliber. That was a more complicated movement and it was fixed under warranty. I've had subsequent Daytonas that had no issues at all.

+1

@dcg You could end up waiting years before a new movement makes it to the model you want, and you might then also be dealing with a price increase depending on how long it takes to make it to that model etc. Also with randomized serial numbers it could be tough to tell if your are actually purchasing a watch with the new movement for some time (unless the new watches get a new model reference # or some other identifying factor). If an extended power reserve means a lot to you then wait for it. Personally, I've had good watches for many years, and gotten used to most being able to run for nearly 2 days (without use) before they stop running. Only my modern Daytonas were good for longer (72 hours), but in the grand scheme of things its never had much effect on me or my purchasing choices. I often go more than 3 days before picking up certain watches again so I always end up resetting them. Wishing you luck with your decision.

20. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

What's the deal w/ importing Rolexes into the U.S.? - think I read somewhere that it was now ok to do so.

Anyone know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.