1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

OK, Tricky! :slayer:

2. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Damn! Huge congrats brother! You got it :) 560 looks killer piece. You got a great collection now, happy for you.

3. tricky

tricky Senior member

Thank you my friends! Picked up a couple of straps to hold me over until my Gunny arrives. Much better already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Congrats - great to see new PAMs here!

5. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My friend posted this on his Facebook. Do u guys think it's a fake? The date number 9 is not crisp and sharp. The date aperture is also jagged not smooth. Not rolex quality at all imo. I don't think he's the kinda guy who would buy a replica.

6. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

How do Patek owners in here deal with scratch and dings on they're watches? I know Rolex's and Panarai's look better with scratches but does it annoy you on a Patek?

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Scratches and dings are unavoidable, it might hurt after the first one, but after time, you just won't care.

8. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I think it depends on how egregious the disfigurement and the location. A dent that stares at me every time I read the time would have to be removed whereas if it's out of sight it has a good chance of escaping a trip to the refinisher.

9. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh Member

Milgauss - not the green crystal version; prefer this one (which is why I bought it). This is my younger son's 25th birthday present, but as he's only just turned 6 I have to 'look after' it for him. Elder son (9) has a COSC non-date Submariner (2012 model, one of the last before the ceramic bezels took over).

[​IMG]

With all that said, I need to get another watch 'for me'.... :)

5 people like this.
  10. tricky

tricky Senior member

That Milgaus is amazing. Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Very elegant and understated milgauss. The green crystal is great and all, but it may be showing some age (screens 2007 to me).

1 person likes this.
  12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

@Steel28 what say you now?? Lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  13. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I just can't do it lol. Believe me, I did try to like it ;).

14. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Haven't posted a video review in here in quite a while. Seems like the Laurent Ferrier Galet Micro-Rotor would be up your guys' alley.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Congrats! So how did you end up deciding on the 560? Funny that both us were lusting after a 512 and we ended up with essentially the same Luminor (560 and 562) instead...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  16. tricky

tricky Senior member

I know! Congrats as well!

Well I still like the 512 a lot and may still get it as I'd like a Rad but everyone...and I mean everyone...says I'll regret a 42mm Pam.

Now I'm not all that swayed by others but it did make me pause on the Rad and I'll give it some more thought. I do quite like the base Rad 380 and it's more affordable. I dunno...still need to stew on it.

As for the 560 I knew I wanted a luminor in my collection and always loved the simplicity of the entry models. So with a slightly thinner and lighter case plus the in house movement...it was a pretty easy decision.

How about you?

17. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

How so?

18. tricky

tricky Senior member

In the sense that Panerai are designed to be big and it's part of their DNA. That said I really like the 512 and think it wears great so it's still top of my list.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

I kind of agree that a PAM should push the boundaries of excessive size. But we all have different sized wrists and different personal styles. I found the 47mm 514 perhaps a shade too much against my 7.25" wrist when I tried one a while back, but in the mirror it looked good against my 200lb+ body and massive head.

By the same logic, Frilly has a smaller wrist and is not tall, but his monster musculature lets him wear that fat DSSD just fine, I think.

It all comes back to the same thing: there is no substitute for seeing a watch on your own wrist, with the clothes you actually intend to wear, from different angles and distances.

I think the 572 might be my sweet spot - a sturdy 45mm against a modest thickness. But I'd like to try it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  20. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Back when I was shopping for my Panerai I heard the same advice, that one of the 'reduced' models might lead to regret (as well as potentially being harder to resell). And while I had no problems wearing the 44mm 177, after a handful of years I sold it as I realised that I prefered my smaller sized watches.

Now the only PAMs I'm really interested in, are the 40mm Radiomirs, but then I do think that the Radiomir design translates better to a smaller case than the Luminors.

Ideally a base, historic version (like the 210), but in 40mm.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.