1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great! We don't often see a lot of love for Cartier here. Nice to see you sporting the Roadster again! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 518aata

518aata Senior member

A few weeks ago, some of you posted your weekend beaters. Some wear Pateks and Rolexes, and I commend you for your bravery, but I just can't wear my everyday watches when there's a risk they'll take a beating.

For what it's worth, during the work week, I wear either a Patek 3919 or a circa 1960 Audemars ultra thin, and on the weekend, a Hamilton Jazzmaster power reserve and a Tank Francaise. But when the going gets rough, out comes my trusty Casio MDV-106. The band it came with was way too big, so I splurged on a Hirsch rubber band. I've been very pleased with it, and I don't care what happens to it! It's quartz, of course, has a screw-down crown, and is allegedly waterproof to a depth much deeper than I'll likely ever go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. elduder

elduder Member

These are inexpensive automatic watches that look pretty nice considering how much they cost. I put the brown leather strap on the Rodina and put the black leather strap on the Sea-Gull.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Mark La Rosa

Mark La Rosa Member

Thanks guys. So much informations. Will have a look at the other brands you suggested.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Love shares like this about what reasoning goes into what's on your wrist, at different times and occasions. Love the Patek 3919 too; too small for most these days, at 34mm, but a really great dress watch IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  6. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 to this comment. Bravo @Novelty77 - you've been on quite a tear!

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

This one on the rotation this week. Yes, intentionally shot "dark" / in low light conditions.

@TheWraith @mimo you might recognize this one...

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ :inlove:

One of the very best there, @no frills.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

[​IMG]

Yes. Stanley likes the Ceramic Sub.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

@elduder: good call on the strap upgrades.

One of the bigger problems with many of the "affordable" watch options is that their bracelets tend to be quite subpar.

A switch to leather (or something exotic) can really make a huge difference.

11. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

12. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I think Montblanc is a bit underrated by enthusiasts, yet overpriced. Their models didn't do anything for me in the past but their new releases are pretty awesome, aesthetically-speaking. Still, for the money, I'd go for one of the big names.

13. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I think very highly of them. The Minerva stuff is undoubtedly excellent (enamel Pulso - drool...:slayer:), but their introducton of pieces like perpetual calendars and complete calendars at very fair prices is impressive and commendable.

It's time to start thinking of them as serious watchmakers.

1 person likes this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I think the Montblanc Tradition looks good but they need to get rid of the date. If we compare it to say a Cartier Ronde Solo, I would choose the Montblanc.

15. elduder

elduder Member

16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Im kinda freaking out. I wound my panerai today. I checked the time and it didn't change after about 2 hours. The second hand isn't moving. Should I be tripping out?

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I like them a lot - although I don't own any - and I think that they've got some great new models. We've discussed Montblanc's new offerings before in this thread, but it was some months ago.

Overpriced? Maybe for their really top-of-the-line models, but they've got some really good models that are very competitively priced when you look at the features and movements. You'd be paying a great deal more for a watch from the "big names".

I particularly like the Star Quantieme Complet:

[​IMG]

http://www.montblanc.com/en/collect.../108736-montblanc-star-quantieme-complet.html

1 person likes this.
  18. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Did it feel strange when winding? Sounds like a broken spring to me. Or some issue with the stop seconds clutch if it has one. I'm just guessing. Sounds like a professional needs to look at it. Good luck.

19. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I'm sure it has to do with the second hand because the watch stopped working completely. Just annoying but I'll have it checked

20. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

The second hand is run by the movement, not the other way around, so the second hand issue is likely a symptom, not a cause, particularly if the main hands aren't turning either. Can you hear it ticking? To be honest, there is a limited amount this forum will be able to do beyond guessing a diagnosis so get thee to the AD without delay.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.