• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Newcomer :Lange, Patek, VC, AP, etc all look nice, but I think they're dressier than what I'm looking for. Is there a sports watch you'd recommend?
frilly's Nautilus perhaps? Or one of the APs.
I'd go 15202 or Nautilus at that price point for sure. Though I don't get the vintage Rolex thing at all, so my opinion is biased.

My thoughts exactly. $25k screams "Jumbo" to me. And I do think it's prettier than the Nautilus. There, I said it. Or half that for a 15400 etc., less still for a perfect nearly-new 15300 depending on taste and wrist size. Leaving just enough change for a spanking new Daytona...

On the subject of Daytonas, a question for the Rolex cognoscenti and anyone in the trade: my "Uncle Playtona" cf. a page or two back, might be in the market for an "Oman" Rolex - maybe even a "Qaboos". Where to begin? Anyone have any inside track or trusted broker? @Dino944 @Belligero @in stitches I'm looking at you!

Last edited:

stafa

Reaction score
In that budget range for a sports watch, I'm also going for a Royal Oak Jumbo or Nautilus.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To clarify my original post.... I'd probably opt for used RO + JLC MUT to cover dress and sporty needs.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. $25k screams "Jumbo" to me. And I do think it's prettier than the Nautilus. There, I said it. Or half that for a 15400 etc., less still for a perfect nearly-new 15300 depending on taste and wrist size. Leaving just enough change for a spanking new Daytona...

On the subject of Daytonas, a question for the Rolex cognoscenti and anyone in the trade: my "Uncle Playtona" cf. a page or two back, might be in the market for an "Oman" Rolex - maybe even a "Qaboos". Where to begin? Anyone have any inside track or trusted broker? @Dino944 @Belligero @in stitches I'm looking at you!

Check out the guys at "Watches in Rome". They have a 2 Daytona's (one red, one green) and a DJ listed. If he really wants something fun they have a New Old Stock PP 2499.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/vintage-watch-shopping-with-watches-in-rome

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks - funnily enough I saw those on Chrono24 yesterday and sent them an enquiry. I read elsewhere, maybe that Hodinkee piece, that there are supposed to be only four known examples of each. I'm not sure he wants to get into that price range, but I will ask. He certainly could. After all, he bought the Playtona for fun. And he throws the boxes away, too...

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Check out the guys at "Watches in Rome".  They have a 2 Daytona's (one red, one green) and a DJ listed.  If he really wants something fun they have a New Old Stock PP 2499.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/vintage-watch-shopping-with-watches-in-rome

Damn. Those look great to me.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents. If I had 25k and looking to cover the casual base I'd get the JLC Master control chrono and the new Rolex Sea Dweller pocket the rest for your next watch.

Done ;)

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn. Those look great to me.

+1, especially this one. But I also wouldn't blow this much money on my first watch (or tenth, for that matter).

What about the obvious alternatives? Speedmaster (yes, doesn't look similar to a Daytona, but has a similar standing plus is about as sporty) or a Tudor Chrono?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1, especially this one. But I also wouldn't blow this much money on my first watch (or tenth, for that matter).

What about the obvious alternatives? Speedmaster (yes, doesn't look similar to a Daytona, but has a similar standing plus is about as sporty) or a Tudor Chrono?

Thanks for the suggestions, Sander. Both those look great. I'll have to shop around.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My 2 cents. If I had 25k and looking to cover the casual base I'd get the JLC MUT Moon or Master Calendar and an AP RO 15300/15400.

Done ;)

Fixed for me.

---

mimo - i got nuthin, sorry.

---

dww - i am the sorry, but those daytonas are not doing it for me. maybe they look better worn, idk, but i get a watch boanar for almost anything, and yet those leave me somewhat cold.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather nice, but I personally prefer the grey/black one (not the black/grey one ;-) )

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was the first one I noticed. Certainly the more dressy of the two, although the thickness makes it difficult to pair with anything in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads