1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yeah not sure how i feel about the 5960 1/a TBH. I might consider a second hand 5960P with the grey dial though, i don't know why but i seem to like this design more than its replacement the 5905. Actually before i got the 5205 i was considering this second hand 5960P but one of the dealers here managed to get me a pretty dam good deal on a brand new 5205 so i went with that instead.

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

This is the 5960 in steel on my wrist. I mean i guess its "cool" but it seems like something you might get tired of after a while...

[​IMG]

3. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

^ Thanks, always good to get another perspective

4. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

This is the very first time a PP model leaves me uninspired. I find the design to be quite unattractive, actually. Sorry for those who like it, but just because it says Patek Philippe on the dial doesn't mean it's a win!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Well doesn't that give u a reason to rotate your watches? Don't be bias give your pp squad equal love! I can help u with that if u ran out of wrist :D

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

Like I needed confirmation on the 512 but I tried it on again today and absolutely love it.

Annoyingly they mentioned I could put any (or none) amount down with interest free installments for up to 30 months. I have about 40% saved so it was tempting but they don't move at all on price so probably not worth it as it looks like it can be had for thousands cheaper on grey or used markets once I have the full funds. But like I said... tempting.

Also tried on the 000 which looks awesome on others but not sure if it's too thick for my 7" wrist. I think this watch looks incredible with a rough leather strap, jeans and boots and showing signs of wear. So I may consider picking one up in used and worn condition (e.g. scratches, minor dings etc) if I can find it for a decent price. I wouldn't be picky b/w 000, 005, 111 or 112 which I assume are the cheapest on the used market.

A couple of pics...

Stunning 512

[​IMG]

And the 000 logo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Did you not feel much more enamored of the 5960/1A when you put it on your wrist, versus seeing it in pictures? If not, then it really might not be something for you.

At that price point, and given the annual calendar complication, I've always felt like I could get a far better value with discontinued perpetual calendars in the secondary/preowned market - but that's just me. And a perpetual calendar in steel, on a bracelet, is going to be hard to find.

Anyway, at that price point I feel like the allure of any watch needs to be screaming at you with full force, with you perhaps denying yourself but really you're bursting with desire inside. There can't be any doubt in your mind that you want that sucker on your wrist, and want it bad. If you I had any smidgeon of doubt about anything - its design, aesthetic, wearability, value, etc - then I would pass.

Thanks for sharing your thought process, and this journey @tricky ! Let us know if you end up pulling the trigger!

I've been playing around with photography again over the last week or so and rediscovering my love for "dancing with the light." Watches make great subjects...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. Novelty77

Wow! That 512 is indeed a beauty! I just got rid of the pams in my collection but seeing it on your wrist, the 512 automatically appeared on my must have!

Went to try on the BB blue today and I must say the strap really looks cheap and the lightness of the strap doesn't help either
    But the bracelet thou, whole other story. Love the weight, definitely heavier than the rolex gmts.
    [​IMG]
    Another beauty I saw, sorry for the quality.
    [​IMG]
    Blue dial seamaster . The dial just sucks me in love it but won't wear it.:satisfied:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Some great watches held back a bit by the 'Swatch bump' or not having Patek on the dial. F. Piguet is now Manufacture Blancpain, they've shared a location for years even more the integration. Resale isn't great as was mentioned so pre-owned is a good option. Either way, you can get quite a few complications cheaper than a lot of the other high-end manufactures so if you like the look take a good hard look.

10. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Actually you do have a point, when i saw in in pics i was like this is "interesting" but i don't know if i like it. When i put it on in the store it was a lot better in person but I'm just not feeling the love if you get what I'm saying. Regarding your point about perpetuals, i absolutely agree those discontinued ones have no where to go but up when it comes to value but again not really feeling them if you catch my drift. The only one i really like would be the 5270 perpetual chrono or the 5970, the 3970 is too small i feel but that might just be me. Anyway for those perpetual chronos at this point in my life its really fat chance in hell of being able to afford one of those hahah so ill stick with an annual chrono as my grail

11. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Thought i would share this from the Harmony collection launch a few weeks ago here in singapore

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I always used to hate the tudor brand but i have to say their current offerings the ranger, north flag, heritage chrono blue etc are very appealing to me, i might have a schoolboy crush on the ranger =O. I think the BB was just released with a new in house movement btw or it might have been pelagos, i get confused with their lineup.

13. Novelty77

Goodbye my friends :(
    [​IMG]

Hello there sexy!
    [​IMG]

Can anyone identify my kop? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beer chug from me if u guessed correctly! [​IMG]
    Bro fist if u tried [​IMG]

14. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Audemars Piguet Royal oak chrono, Italy limited edition

1 person likes this.
  15. no frills

no frills Senior member

I hated the Nautilus - the whole idea of a "luxury sports watch in steel" was once abhorrent to me; and what was up with those ears?

When I put the 5711 on my wrist, it was over. My AD shipped it to me within the next hour (to avoid in-state taxes, but man, what torture to wait the next day). Rented a ZipCar by the hour to pick it up from across the river once I confirmed shipment arrival. Put it on my wrist and have been taking it everywhere with me for years now.

If putting the watch on your wrist doesn't inspire this kind of massive turnaround / "paradigm shift" (to use management-speak), I'm not convinced you should get it. Why spend that much if you have a speck of doubt?

8 people like this.
  16. tricky

tricky Senior member

No Frills nailed it. The ones that sing to you, sing loud :)

17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a great post. Simple, short and conveys perfectly the experience of finding the right "thing".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its high quality, its a Patek, and it does absolutely nothing for me. It's just not a watch I've ever been able to warm up to. I think Frills nailed it with value of what it costs vs. some actual perpetuals out there. However, its got to put a smile on your face or it isn't worth doing.

It should weight more than a GMT, its larger. I like the Tudor BB, but its larger than what is ideal for me, and if I were going to buy a Tudor, I'd probably search for a vintage Tudor Sub "Snowflake."

Its OK that you aren't really feeling any of them. Any watch you purchase, be it a basic time only or a very complicated piece should put a big smile on your face. If it doesn't then its not the right watch for you.

19. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

Fuck, I just saw the Omega on the front page and I almost ejaculated in my pants.

[​IMG]

This is what I wear day-to-day, vintage 1960's SeaMaster DeVille with the crosshair dial.

20. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

What size is that Omega? What calibre? Looks like a good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.